The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with your Drone

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Trying the DJI Mini 2 in photo mode. Only a 12 mp sensor, but files scale up nicely using Adobe Enhance to generate 48 mp files. Sample below re-sampled back to original 12 mp size for upload to Flickr.
The photos and footage I see people make with the Mini 2 are very impressive, and since I need a backup for the Phantom 4 (and a drone that is slightly easier to travel with), I ordered one yesterday. Will hopefully get it on Monday.

scho

Trying the DJI Mini 2 in photo mode. Only a 12 mp sensor, but files scale up nicely using Adobe Enhance to generate 48 mp files. Sample below re-sampled back to original 12 mp size for upload to Flickr.

Here is the jpeg image that the drone camera took and exported automatically to the Photos library on my phone. Looks great and I think if I'm careful about exposure the jpegs would be good enough without any need to process the raws. Click image for the full size 12 mp original.

scho

Setting sun over Ithaca, NY. Mini 2 from about 70 ft above my house

Turning around and looking south (same altitude) the Ithaca College skyline comes into view. I should have taken theses shots at a higher altitude but when I took off didn't realize that I was in tutorial mode and it limited the height I could achieve.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very impressive! Did you shoot this from another boat or on shore?
Thanks Carl. Long story with a few lessons to be learned, so here it is:

I was shooting from another boat, which was my own choice, since I was also going to take photos with an ordinary camera. I brought two drones, the Phantom 4 and the Mini 2. The temperature was between 35 and 40 degrees Celsius. The boat I was on was far too small and had nowhere to land a drone, so the boat driver had to catch the drones with his hands. The Phantom overheated after 10 minutes, and could then only fly backwards and forwards plus up and down, and only at full speed. With the sticks in neutral, it went full speed forward. So we had to manouver the boat under the flight path of the drone and hope for the best. The sea was choppy and it was windy, so the boat moved a lot. I was quite sure that I was going to lose the drone, but we saved it in the end. I haven't had time to test it for damages yet.

Another problem was the extremely sharp light. I could hardly see what was on the screen, and reading any menus was impossible. When my eyes had finally gotten used to the screen, I couldn't see the drone when I looked for it. The Mini managed surprisingly well, but it was probably also very hot. I killed one battery with that one too.

Next time, I will do the drone part from the big boat and board the smaller boat for the sea level shot. However, if we had done that on this occasion, I would have lost the Phantom. There's no way we could have manouvered the big cat under the drone fast enough.

I didn't have an ND filter for the Mini, and the footage I got with the Phantom (with ND filter) looks much better. But again, the Mini is quite amazing for its size and price. Also, the Phantom is much easier to pick out of the air due to its long legs. I'll probably use the Mini more than the Phantom, but for this kind of paid work, I consider buying a second Phantom, the Pro or Advanced with 1 inch sensor. Also, I will insist on doing this type of shoot in the morning, before it's too hot.

pegelli

Product photography with the Mini 2, the new Silent Yachts 60, solar powered catamaran.
Very nice! Is that the same one as the one that was docked in the swimming pool at the top of this page?

You live in the right climate for a solar powered boat. Does it have any "back-up" power source (other than batteries) to get back to shore when it becomes cloudy or night?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very nice! Is that the same one as the one that was docked in the swimming pool at the top of this page?

You live in the right climate for a solar powered boat. Does it have any "back-up" power source (other than batteries) to get back to shore when it becomes cloudy or night?
Yes, it's the same boat. This is hull number one, with five more in production. Few of these boats are actually being sold here in SE Asia. Most of them go to North America and Europe. Silent Yachts is an Austrian company, but some of the boats are built here in Thailand and some in Italy.

Yes, they have a diesel generator as backup, but as long as the speed is moderate, they are doing fine with solar panels alone.