The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1, B+W, Cine Lenses, & 1 Color Pic

R

Ranger 9

I think we shouLd aLL go over to Jona's and take pics of the f@mous b00k case...the Gold Standard of smear evaluation:)
Kamera Kat would like it made known that she resents that remark, as she considers her wooden self to be the gold standard.

monza

I'll let you guys duke it out over the gold smear standard, but as for measurements, the metric standard is it. :)

wjlapier

OK--My Tevidon finally arrived after enroute for a month :rolleyes: A quick check and this lens is sharp wide open. edge check shows almost no smearing--of course it still needs to be machined. First is f/1.4, second is f/1.4 but coffee cup is at the edge of frame, and last pic is f/11 cup is same spot. There is vignette, but I wonder if it's because it's not fully mounted.

Jonas

I think we shouLd aLL go over to Jona's and take pics of the f@mous b00k case...the Gold Standard of smear evaluation:)
Anyone not having a book shelf of their own is welcome... ;)
We can also do something with the USAF charts...

Or we can just play with light and have fun

m3photo

Re: C Mount Lens List

That list covers a lot of the basics.

Filter threads?
Inbuilt hood?
I'd add also whether it it a 1", 2/3" etc., this would steer people away from lenses that vignette too much if that isn't what they're looking for.

R

Ranger 9

Re: C Mount Lens List

uuhhh, what is 2/3" in metric?
In CCTV terms, just think of 1/3", 2/3", and 1" as arbitrary designations. They don't have anything to do with any dimensions you can measure directly (although they made sense back in the days when video cameras depended on vacuum-tube sensors.) It's kind of like, say, size 120 rollfilm, which doesn't any dimension that corresponds to 120 anything -- it's just an arbitrary designator.

Here's a link to a chart I just discovered that seems to cover all the basics. (I'm gonna bookmark this one myself for my future C-mount shopping spree.) This Wikipedia article says the active area of a Four Thirds sensor is 17.3mm x 13mm with a diagonal of 21.6mm, which is quite a bit larger than even the 1-inch size. Ditto Super 16, which is 12.52 x 7.41mm.

Reading all these specs makes me surprised at what good results people are getting from so many of these lenses! Manufacturers must have designed a lot of safety margin into them.

Last edited:

wjlapier

First stab at a G1 C Mount Lens Compatibility List:

http://tinyurl.com/G1cmount
Thanx Robert. I wonder about the ebay links. They will someday disappear. Maybe borrow the pic of the lens on the camera, host/link it, and give the seller credit for the photo, with their permission of course.

From my collection what you haven't put on the database:

Sony TV 16/1.8
A little machining required ( did it myself )
Not full coverage even at 16:9

Kodak Cine Ektar 15/2.5
No machining

Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 16/1.9
No machining

Kern Switar 16/1.8 H16 RX*
No machining
*Lens is sharp at 1.8 regardless what is said about RX lenses. Apparently RX lenses are not sharp wide open on non RX movie cameras and they need to be stopped down to f4 or 5.6 to sharpen up. This wasn't my experience when testing the lens for sharpness wide open.

Som Berthiot Lytar 1"/1.9
No machining
Full coverage at all ratios

Wollensak Cine Velostigmat 1:/1.9
No machining

From today's shoot:

Canon 50/1.8
No machining
Full coverage

I'll check your database again to see if I missed anything.

I do have an Angenieux Retrofocus 10/1.8 that doesn't require machining to mount, but there is no focus ring so the lens won't work as usual, unless you unscrew it until the image comes into focus. Basically focus with screwing the lens in and out. I'm returning this one.

From Nikkor 55/1.2 at 1.2--my kid watching the Muppets Show on youtube!

wjlapier

The two Kerns you have listed of mine are both Switars. The 25/1.4 is a Switar too and needs machining and doesn't cover the sensor even at 16:9.

The Wollensak on your list is a Raptar. Also, on the side of the lens is written "Naval Res. Lab. Wash. 20 DC RFC 38"

Also, don't forget the Cosmicar you have ( I have too ). Needs machining, but almost covers the sensor at 16:9--good news :thumbup:

I just noticed the link to the 35/2 is no longer available. Bummer, I wanted to see how much and what it looked like.

monza

Thanks Bill. That 35/2 linked expired right after I posted the list.

Which Wollensak is a Raptar? I have the Cine Velostigmat listed...

Added the Cosmicar and Computar.

I'd like to have a further description of coverage. "Full" is very helpful of course, but "no" doesn't differentiate between "corners barely dark" and "circular image." Any ideas?

I used to have the 50/1.2 Nikkor, really liked it, shouldn't have sold it. :(

wjlapier

The Velostigmat is 1.9 and the Raptar is 2.5--both 1".

I'll check my lenses that don't provide full coverage and I'll let you know how much.

The Nikkor 55/1.2 is nice. Actually sharp at 1.2 contrary to what alot of folks said. Not sure which I like better, the Rokkor 58/1.2 F-mount or the 55/1.2 Nikkor. Both are a load of glass ;)

Thanks Bill. That 35/2 linked expired right after I posted the list.

Which Wollensak is a Raptar? I have the Cine Velostigmat listed...

Added the Cosmicar and Computar.

I'd like to have a further description of coverage. "Full" is very helpful of course, but "no" doesn't differentiate between "corners barely dark" and "circular image." Any ideas?

I used to have the 50/1.2 Nikkor, really liked it, shouldn't have sold it. :(

monza

I saw that one earlier today, it had no bids. :)

There are still bargains, I found good deals on three that offer full sensor coverage. They are cheap enough I may keep them all: Som Berthiot Cinor 25/1.8 and Lytar 25/1.9, and a Xenoplan 25/1.9 which Rabe raves about. "It is an extremely sharp and brilliant lens, brings optimum results at cine film or on digital sensors. This lens costs actual $1500"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270352861081

Vivek also says the Xenoplan is tops.

Som Berthiot Lytar 1"/1.9
No machining
Bill,

If this is the lens that took the picture of the 2 vases on columns you posted in the Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread, I would strongly disagree. While there was no vignetting, the sharpness is falling off so markedly from the center (smearing) that it my opinion it is unusable on a G1. This is certainly not what I would call Full coverage.

You wrote yourself in answer to my question I'm noticing that, with the SOM anyway, that when shot wide open the center is sharp as it should be, but from there it get's soft or smeary.

Please be more critical and objective about your lenses. One tends to love one's own babies and to justify to oneself the money spent, but this database is meant to guide other users in their buying decisions and not to mislead them.

Thank you
Kind regards,
Peter

Last edited:
I asked the seller about the rear mount and they said threaded and ~25mm diameter.
c-monut is 25mm

In Europe, c-mount is often referred to as 25mm screw mount.

C-mount lenses provide a male thread which mates with a female thread on the camera. The thread is nominally 1 inch (25 mm) in diameter, with 32 threads per inch, designated as "1-32 UN 2A" in the ANSI B1.1 standard for unified screw threads. The flange focal distance is 17.526 millimetres (0.6900 in) for a C-mount.