The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 First Reactions

fotophil

If you have the time I would encourage you to follow through with Jim Kasson. As you probably already know he has extensive testing experience with the Fuji 50S and is waiting his GFX100. to arrive. Has your dealer taken an active stand? I suppose there is a potential problem in locating a replacement camera for you. Again Jim's input could prove useful in future discussions with your dealer and Fuji.

Last edited:

Alexander

Not sure to what extent GFX 100 is showing softness in your examples.. Softness I've seen on DPReview Test compared to P1, Nikon, Sony, etc. is already unacceptable..

Haven't seen anybody writing about it, not sure what to make of it..

GFX 100 is very interesting and motivating purchase, especially because the Tax added on the Phase One system is practically the cost of the GFX 100

Unfortunately, that type of softness is unacceptable.. There's so much work to do, there is not enough time to tolerate consistent troubleshooting..

Let us know if they fix it for you and kindly post the difference.. Thank you

vjbelle

we are here to help to identify the issue, if you dont want help why post this in the first place? go directly to the fuji support!

and kudos for "only beneficial for the curious who would probably never purchase this camera" good laugh
I didn't post looking for help. I posted to alert of an issue I was having that may be of benefit to others. Posting images which would take a lot of time is not beneficial. None of what I am experiencing occurred with the 50s and ever occurred with my 3100.

Glad at least you got a good laugh......

Victor

vjbelle

Not sure to what extent GFX 100 is showing softness in your examples.. Softness I've seen on DPReview Test compared to P1, Nikon, Sony, etc. is already unacceptable..

Haven't seen anybody writing about it, not sure what to make of it..

GFX 100 is very interesting and motivating purchase, especially because the Tax added on the Phase One system is practically the cost of the GFX 100

Unfortunately, that type of softness is unacceptable.. There's so much work to do, there is not enough time to tolerate consistent troubleshooting..

Let us know if they fix it for you and kindly post the difference.. Thank you
I cannot say what is causing this but its way beyond softness. When I test for focus I always try to find the focus line. This is usually easy to find and then its usually easy to make a focus correction. With the GFX 100 I can find the focus line but it is also not in critical focus. There are also some other issues that are very disturbing. There is some kind of a flare occurring when shifting. Flare may not be the correct term, fog may be a better term, but a portion of the image in the upper center gets brighter when I shift left or right. This doesn't occur with every shifted image. The same type of shifting using my 3100 does not produce this anomaly. There may be something going on with the sensor glass. Regardless that in itself would be enough for me to not to want the camera as using it with my Tech camera was one of its major intended uses.

I'll more than likely just wait this one out as I have a 4150 on the way.

Victor

JeRuFo

That sucks. But it happens, hopefully your dealer can resolve it quickly for you.

Is there anything to share from someone who has one that works? I know there is a quite active facebook group with experiences, but since I don't have a facebook account (at least not one that I consented or have access to) I can't follow it.

vjbelle

If you have the time I would encourage you to follow through with Jim Kasson. As you probably already know he has extensive testing experience with the Fuji 50S and is waiting his GFX100. to arrive. Has your dealer taken an active stand? I suppose there is a potential problem in locating a replacement camera for you. Again Jim's input could prove useful in future discussions with your dealer and Fuji.
I am going to follow up with Jim..... The camera can be returned for a refund or exchange and I've already set up a return for refund as I also had the same thought that you did in that a replacement would not be readily available. I can wait for the dust to settle. As I posted above there were some shifting issues that were disturbing.

Victor

kimyeesan

I cannot say what is causing this but its way beyond softness. When I test for focus I always try to find the focus line. This is usually easy to find and then its usually easy to make a focus correction. With the GFX 100 I can find the focus line but it is also not in critical focus. There are also some other issues that are very disturbing. There is some kind of a flare occurring when shifting. Flare may not be the correct term, fog may be a better term, but a portion of the image in the upper center gets brighter when I shift left or right. This doesn't occur with every shifted image. The same type of shifting using my 3100 does not produce this anomaly. There may be something going on with the sensor glass. Regardless that in itself would be enough for me to not to want the camera as using it with my Tech camera was one of its major intended uses.

I'll more than likely just wait this one out as I have a 4150 on the way.

Victor
Sorry to hear that Victor. Can I share my experience with you about my experience with GFX and Actus. like you I have using this system for awhile, I have even modified the bellow to a custom made lamb skin below, very narrow and almost no distance to keep my flange as close as possible as GFX flange is bit on the long side. One thing let to another, one day, I discover a long stretch of fog/red patch on my images while using GFX to do some stitching works. I thought it was my lens that is the problem. But ended up, it's camera handle pushing the bellow too much until a small gaps has appear at the magnetic seam.... light leaks.... And then another time... the same problem occurred, and I have check the connection of the bellow, everything seems fine.... I thought, this must be the lens again! only later to find that, again, it's the bellow.... a screw has gone missing at the ring, and it make the bellow slight loose on the metal ring part....

All I want to say is, check your bellow, cause it might have been push out of alignment by the camera, particularly this GFX100 as the size is just way too over and generate light leaks...

By the way, Cambo is coming out with a new attachment and shim for GFX100 to work on Cambo Actus.... so you can do a normal landscape shoot, except that it add 12.5mm to the flange... ouch....

Christopher

We shouldn’t actually get conclusion to fast. We all know the DPReview images are faulty, they even admitted to that...

Let’s see what’s going on.

algrove

Received my 100 this morning and immediately started to test. My main goal with this camera was to use it as a tech replacement for a Phase DB. First I tested how IBIS worked and in the viewer it seemed like a dream. Everything was very stable and the couple of images I took hand holding my 110 seemed very sharp viewing them in camera.

Then I got down to the nitty gritty of testing. Camera on tripod with any lens I owned that could be used with the GFX. No matter how I focused (auto or manual using peaking) nothing came into critical focus...... and I mean nothing. Sure, I could find the focus line to check whether I was near or far but even the focus line was soft. I took side by side shots with my Phase 3100 and the GFX 100 using the same lens the results were night and day with the Phase being tack sharp and the Fuji being very soft.

Maybe it was damaged in shipping - who knows but something is awry. Peaking shows focus to be spot on but the final image is just crap.

I hope others have better result but check the camera out.......

Victor
Victor
First congrats on the purchase and I am sure all will be worked out OK for you.
Second, it is not clear to me what lens you were using with the 3100 and GFX 100. Was it a tech cam lens or Fuji lens?

The thing about the shutter count bothers me too. I wonder if the GFX100 locks down the IBIS carriage when it is turned off?

I reacted to your initial post and have since read all posts so sorry to add to your frustrations.

Lou in Munich

Last edited:

Christopher

I think it’s hard to understand his problem without seeing any crop at all.... I know it’s more effort, but it would help to understand it better.

- is it slight softer than a GFX50s? Yes of course all cameras I have seen are a little softer right out the box. However, with a tiny bit of sharpening the Phase one backs catch up.
- is it motion blurry? (Could be IBIS is working correct and isn’t locking the sensor down when off)
- is it out of focus blurry?

- what is sharp? How much sharper is the IQ3100?

I know he doesn’t want help, just to warn, but I don’t find it helpful with any example. Ones not sharp is another’s plenty of sharp. I for one hate what phase one is doing as standard in the sharpen settings in capture one. Everything is completely overpowered... has been for years.

I can’t say to much about softness, all looks good. (except the resetting part and internal battery issue) I have seen a lot of nice crops in the GFX FB Group so i wouldn’t call it a general problem.

ddanois

Did you update the lens firmware? That seems to be the issue with some other GFX 100 owners. My camera arrived on June 27th and it's been working as expected. I did the firmware update for all of my GFX lenses as well.

kimyeesan

Tested mine with no problem. Albeit, it's not a wide angle lens so I am in no danger of bending too much of the bellow. 191571562073628_.pic.jpg
APO Rodagon 120mm

WX20190702-213339.jpg
Zooming in 100%
testing 3.jpg

That is with IBIS on and with max aperture. I think IBIS kind of help if it's mounted on Actus... I think... The camera makes a humming sound when it's taking shots.

vjbelle

A couple of images may help. First image is shot with the 63mm lens and manually focused - the best of the bunch. Second image is 100% pixels of the focus area of the first image. The third image is shot with the 72mm with 10mm rise with my 3100 showing a section of 100% pixels.

The Fuji cannot be sharpened in any way to recover the softness. The Phase file is only minimally sharpened in Camera Raw. All images processed in Camera Raw. C1 is actually much worse for the Fuji file and outstanding for the Phase file. All files shot on a tripod with 2 second delay. 63mm lens shot at f8, 72mm Digitar shot at f11.

Victor

Attachments

vjbelle

Did you update the lens firmware? That seems to be the issue with some other GFX 100 owners. My camera arrived on June 27th and it's been working as expected. I did the firmware update for all of my GFX lenses as well.
I never found the firmware update.... and I did look. Moot point since the camera is gone.

Victor