The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 First Reactions

vjbelle

Received my 100 this morning and immediately started to test. My main goal with this camera was to use it as a tech replacement for a Phase DB. First I tested how IBIS worked and in the viewer it seemed like a dream. Everything was very stable and the couple of images I took hand holding my 110 seemed very sharp viewing them in camera.

Then I got down to the nitty gritty of testing. Camera on tripod with any lens I owned that could be used with the GFX. No matter how I focused (auto or manual using peaking) nothing came into critical focus...... and I mean nothing. Sure, I could find the focus line to check whether I was near or far but even the focus line was soft. I took side by side shots with my Phase 3100 and the GFX 100 using the same lens the results were night and day with the Phase being tack sharp and the Fuji being very soft.

Maybe it was damaged in shipping - who knows but something is awry. Peaking shows focus to be spot on but the final image is just crap.

I hope others have better result but check the camera out.......

Victor

Christopher

On a tripod IBIS must be off! Otherwise it’s over compensating. It should be off for all shutter speeds on a tripod.

SrMphoto

vjbelle

Jim.....I learned all of my focus techniques from you. Nothing, and I mean nothing is in critical focus. I would be happy to make a file available to you. This is not camera shake or IBIS anomaly. Something is really off. The entire image is out of focus even the focus line which is easy to find. Tech lenses were shot at F11 and Fuji lenses were shot at F8. Auto focus was tried and manual focus was followed up with the next image for comparison. Your excellent focus techniques were used but the resulting images were not in critical focus. This is nothing like the results I have gotten from the 50s and worlds apart from my Phase 3100.

Victor

vjbelle

Which adapted lenses with which adapters are you using? Are the Fuji lenses out of focus as well?
I am using this camera on a Cambo Actus G in portrait position since it cannot be mounted in landscape position. I'm very experienced doing this as I have been using this Cambo setup with my 50s for some time with excellent results.

Everything is out of critical focus. Focus line is easy to establish and even that is out of critical focus. My Phase 3100 using the same lens taking the same image is tack sharp. I have never experienced this with my 50s using the same tech lenses.

Fuji lenses with AF and manual focus are also out of critical focus.

As I said previously maybe this was damaged in shipping. I don't know.....

This camera is history........ Big disappointment......

There are some other flare issues that I have noticed when using tech lenses but that's another issue.

Victor

richardman

This sounds like an issue with your particular camera. Maybe the sensor is knocked ever so slightly loose. In theory with mirrorless, what you see on the LCD is what you get from the sensor, but who knows.

vjbelle

Some additional info:

When I looked at my first shot image I noticed that the file number was in the 3200 range and folder number 103. This really should have been started with folder 100 and file number 001. That was more than a little alarming. I called Fuji and the tech I talked to said that camera was probably firmware upgraded by a technician who used a card that had that history associated with it and that I should just 'renew' the count.

I'm more than a little skeptical about all of this. I have my first images saved in raw format with any associated EXIF for posterity.

Like I said previously....... this camera is history.

Victor

Steve Hendrix

I am using this camera on a Cambo Actus G in portrait position since it cannot be mounted in landscape position. I'm very experienced doing this as I have been using this Cambo setup with my 50s for some time with excellent results.

Everything is out of critical focus. Focus line is easy to establish and even that is out of critical focus. My Phase 3100 using the same lens taking the same image is tack sharp. I have never experienced this with my 50s using the same tech lenses.

Fuji lenses with AF and manual focus are also out of critical focus.

As I said previously maybe this was damaged in shipping. I don't know.....

This camera is history........ Big disappointment......

There are some other flare issues that I have noticed when using tech lenses but that's another issue.

Victor

Sorry to hear this, Victor. But consider that it may simply be a possibility where it encountered some rough shipping or otherwise for some reason is a DOA. I'm sure your dealer can arrange a swap, and the replacement will probably be just fine.

The first 2 units we sold out of our shipment were already put to use by the weekend, one on a full fledged commercial shoot, and I was told today the commercial shoot was smooth sailing and the client has already signed off on all images.

Steve Hendrix/CI

JohnBrew

Some additional info:

When I looked at my first shot image I noticed that the file number was in the 3200 range and folder number 103. This really should have been started with folder 100 and file number 001. That was more than a little alarming. I called Fuji and the tech I talked to said that camera was probably firmware upgraded by a technician who used a card that had that history associated with it and that I should just 'renew' the count.

I'm more than a little skeptical about all of this. I have my first images saved in raw format with any associated EXIF for posterity.

Like I said previously....... this camera is history.

Victor
Sorry for your problems, Victor. I’d return it or at least ask for an exchange. If the problem persists then you know they have a problem which must be addressed immediately (by Fuji).

JimKasson

Jim.....I learned all of my focus techniques from you. Nothing, and I mean nothing is in critical focus. I would be happy to make a file available to you. This is not camera shake or IBIS anomaly. Something is really off. The entire image is out of focus even the focus line which is easy to find. Tech lenses were shot at F11 and Fuji lenses were shot at F8. Auto focus was tried and manual focus was followed up with the next image for comparison. Your excellent focus techniques were used but the resulting images were not in critical focus. This is nothing like the results I have gotten from the 50s and worlds apart from my Phase 3100.
I'd like to see a file. PM me your email address and I'll set up a shared Dropbox folder. This is pretty strange. You've used the lenses with other cameras and they've been good there, so we can rule out the lenses. You're using liveview focusing, so we know you're getting the lenses focused in the right place on the sensor. Even if the sensor were tilted, the focus would be sharp in the place where you focused. So now I'm suspecting vibration. Maybe the IBIS is shaking (I've not ready to rule that out, but you've seen the file. I dunno. Maybe the sensor stack top glass is missing (but you should still get sharp results on-axis even then). If I could see a file or two I might be able to hazard a guess.

Jim

vjbelle

Sample images are meaningless for this anomaly. That is all very time consuming and only beneficial for the curious who would probably never purchase this camera. I'm experienced enough to know that there is an issue with this camera and posting to alert others for potential problems.

Victor

drevil

Staff member
we are here to help to identify the issue, if you dont want help why post this in the first place? go directly to the fuji support!

and kudos for "only beneficial for the curious who would probably never purchase this camera" good laugh

Paul2660

Sample images are meaningless for this anomaly. That is all very time consuming and only beneficial for the curious who would probably never purchase this camera. I'm experienced enough to know that there is an issue with this camera and posting to alert others for potential problems.

Victor
For sure Victor knows what he is talking about, he has used the 50s for quite a while. Sounds like the image review and Live View process is very similar to the 50s. Also, I agree to see the problem would need a 100% view and that would a bit hard to do on this site or any other, besides a small crop.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

Paul C