The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 questions

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A Fuji GFX system is on my "want" list; ideally probably a GFX100 plus a 50R and a couple lenses. Lately, I've seen several very low use GFX 100's coming up for sale at attractive prices. My question is it seems like the ultimate MF platform, so I'm wondering at the recent slew of sales?

Don Libby

Hi Jack, I have the GFX100 and a 50R and am very pleased with both. I haven’t done much photographic work this year due to all the lock downs and crap going on but hope to begin traveling again next year. I’m assuming that the sales that you’ve seen are from folks that have been caught up in the lockdown and might need the extra cash the sales would generate.

Personally I believe the GFX100 is a great system and thought so 5-seconds after I first used mine in Jackson Hole. I had been using the 50S and sold it almost immediately then several months ago pick up the 50R as a more suitable walk-around system.

Don’t hesitate.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Don. My impression is maybe the sales were dollar-motivated, or perhaps use motivated, but want to make sure they aren't IQ motivated LOL!

tcdeveau

Hey Jack, you're prob right that it's dollar and use motivated. For one, Fuji is rumored to release another GFX100 - the GFX100S - in early 2021.

It is supposed to have some of the same characteristics as the current GFX100, like the sensor and IBIS, but in a smaller form factor (more similar the GFX50s) and at a lower price than the current GFX100 MSRP.

That could be driving some of the recent GFX100 sales. Anyone on the fence of selling may try and get ahead of the new model.

Another potential reason - higher end cameras like P1/GFX100/etc I'm not sure people are able to get out and use as much with the COVID situation, so ppl may be selling to free up cash. I've thought of selling some or all of my MF gear lately since I haven't been able to use it much. I have a weekly debate with myself about it - so far, even though my brain says its the thing to do, my heart is winning out and I haven't listed anything yet.

Reactions: spb

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks TC for sharing insight on the new potential camera -- I was not aware of that and it makes sense :)

tcdeveau

Thanks TC for sharing insight on the new potential camera -- I was not aware of that and it makes sense :)
no prob! Unless you have a specific need for it in the next couple weeks, I’d definitely wait for the announcement and take it from there. I started a thread over in the MF section about it if you wanna check out the link to the most recent Fuji Rumors article about it

vjbelle

I agree that the rumored smaller '100' may be influencing current owners. I've always felt that Fuji would ultimately release a smaller form factor of the '100'. The price should also come down a little which will make it very attractive. I sold my 50s but kept all of my lenses waiting for the smaller '100'. For sure I will be a buyer.

Victor B.

biglouis

I've owned the 50R for over a year. I also own the X-T3, X-H1 and a load of XF lenses. In fact, for any commercial work I tend to use the the X-system over the 50R because of (a) weight convenience and (b) in terms of event work, the AF on the 50R is too slow and in low light the body lacks IBIS and the lenses in general do not have OIS. This imho further limits the 50R's use indoors where flash is not possible which is why I use the X-H1 which has IBIS and the XF lenses that have OIS with the X-T3, like the incredible XF 50-140/2.8.

I've toyed with selling the 50R because of its drawbacks but each time I use it for landscape or architecture, even though I use it far less than my X-system, the results are just jaw-droppingly good. The image quality is the best I have experienced in digital camera, to date. Also, this is a pro-body camera, with a pro-body feel and endurance and it make use confident and trustworthy.

Having said I wouldn't use the 50R for event work, I recently took delivery of the new GF 45-100/4 which is equipped with OIS and a couple of days ago I used the 50R+45-100/4 for an event and I am delighted with the results. It won't do action or sports but used carefully for quieter moments the results are amazing, now that it is possible to shoot down to 1/30 handheld and still get sharp photographs.

Of course, none of the drawbacks with AF speed or image stabilisation appear to exist with the GF100 but I can't justify the investment in that camera.

In my case, the arrival of the GF 45-100/4 OIS lens has transformed my 50R for work I would otherwise have previously not used it for.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

ron787

I would have to agree, in re the GF 45-100 F/4. I'd originally purchased that lens for its OIS and my GFX50r, but I'd found the combination to be a tad nose heavy. So I'd transferred the lens to my GFX50s, where it is very happy and will likely be a permanent resident. The GFX50r, however, now has the smallish GF 50mm attached, and it too is a happy camper. My GFX100, on the other hand, can handle just about any lens I hang off of its mount . But, in summary, the GF 45-100 is a fantastic lens, its optics are superb and like you've already indicated can be used down to a 15/s-30/s handheld, with resultant, sharp images. Furthermore, the focal range suits my general needs.

algrove

Jack
I now have 2 50R since I found lens changes during fast moving situations caused missed images (steam engines for example and some street). I had the Pentax 645Z and loved that sensor and still do on the 50R. I mostly have used the 32-64 and 100-200 even though I have just about all the lenses plus 1.4x. That small 50 3.5 is perfect for walk around situations on the 50R. I hesitated on the 100 due to its size (plus owning a Phase IQ4150) and now with Covid so glad I waited as I have made almost zero captures since March. I had the 50S briefly, but sent it back and glad I did. My situation is not like yours since I have one right eye so an RF style camera works for me.

Last edited:

ron787

Quote: "I had the 50R briefly, but sent it back and glad I did. My situation is not like yours since I have one right eye so an RF style camera works for me."

I assume that you meant to say '50s'?

My only objection to the 50r is its grip. I have both the Small Rig wooden L bracket/grip, as well as the Peipro equivalent. While I find that the Peipro is the most comfortable of the two, neither one really provides the grip of the GFX50s. But, as you've indicated, the 50r with the GF 50mm attached makes for a great carry around camera. And while I own the GFX100, I find GFX50s/r's 50mp sensor more than adequate for most of what I photograph.

For one very brief moment in time, I had considered anticipating the purchase of the new 50s-like 100mp body that is on the horizon. However, careful consideration had revealed that the GF 45-100 mm OIS lens covers the focal lengths that I use most often with my current GFX50s/r, and the OIS is excellent. And since the only reason I would even remotely consider it would be for its IBIS, I have discarded the idea, after all, I already own a GFX100 and have no issue with the body size, which I actually appreciate.

Anyway, I apologize for the rambling diatribe.

Rand47

I think one of the reasons we’re seeing GFX 100 cameras and lenses for sale is that there are/were a lot of hobby photographers who “just had to have the latest thing.” Most seem to have come from the X-camera folk - Fuji loyalists. They spent a ton of money w/o really giving consideration to the differences larger formats bring. I also suspect that for the vast majority of photographers who do not print their work, the thrill of pixel peeping those huge files began to wear off and they realized that for all practical purposes (Instagram?) there’s no benefit and only massive overkill.

I print. I own several cameras. All of them are collecting dust after I took the GFX 100 out for a spin and made a couple of large prints. Short of a Phase IQ4 150, there’s nothing like it in terms of “usable image quality.” The AF and IBIS are game changing in the MF realm. And in terms of versatility, it puts the Phase in the dirt.

Slap the 45mm on, go for a walk, shoot off-hand at 1/30th of a second. RAZOR sharp corner to corner. Huge prints. It’s a trip.

Rand

Last edited:

ron787

I couldn't agree more.
The GFX100/GF 45mm are my favorite combo as well, together, they make for a great walk-around kit, second only to, IMO, the GFX50s with the GF 45-100mm OIS attached, and I've successfully printed large with the 50s' files.
Regards,
Ron

algrove

Quote: "I had the 50R briefly, but sent it back and glad I did. My situation is not like yours since I have one right eye so an RF style camera works for me."

I assume that you meant to say '50s'?

My only objection to the 50r is its grip. I have both the Small Rig wooden L bracket/grip, as well as the Peipro equivalent. While I find that the Peipro is the most comfortable of the two, neither one really provides the grip of the GFX50s. But, as you've indicated, the 50r with the GF 50mm attached makes for a great carry around camera. And while I own the GFX100, I find GFX50s/r's 50mp sensor more than adequate for most of what I photograph.

For one very brief moment in time, I had considered anticipating the purchase of the new 50s-like 100mp body that is on the horizon. However, careful consideration had revealed that the GF 45-100 mm OIS lens covers the focal lengths that I use most often with my current GFX50s/r, and the OIS is excellent. And since the only reason I would even remotely consider it would be for its IBIS, I have discarded the idea, after all, I already own a GFX100 and have no issue with the body size, which I actually appreciate.

Anyway, I apologize for the rambling diatribe.
Yes I meant the 50S and have changed my comment to reflect as much. Thanks. I use the Peipro on both of mine and it fits my size 8 hand perfectly.

Last edited:

algrove

I think one of the reasons we’re seeing GFX 100 cameras and lenses for sale is that there are/were a lot of hobby photographers who “just had to have the latest thing.” Most seem to have come from the X-camera folk - Fuji loyalists. They spent a ton of money w/o really giving consideration to the differences larger formats bring. I also suspect that for the vast majority of photographers who do not print their work, the thrill of pixel peeping those huge files began to wear off and they realized that for all practical purposes (Instagram?) there’s no benefit and only massive overkill.

I print. I own several cameras. All of them are collecting dust after I took the GFX 100 out for a spin and made a couple of large prints. Short of a Phase IQ4 150, there’s nothing like it in terms of “usable image quality.” The AF and IBIS are game changing in the MF realm. And in terms of versatility, it puts the Phase in the dirt.

Slap the 45mm on, go for a walk, shoot off-hand at 1/30th of a second. RAZOR sharp corner to corner. Huge prints. It’s a trip.

Rand
Agree and with the IQ4150 going for about 5 times the price of the GFX100 why bother with an IQ4150 which is a back only and then needs a body and of course very expensive lenses no matter which body one uses.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Rand
Rand,

While I think you are right about many GFX100 buyers, I am in a slightly different position. Hobbyist, true. Attracted to astonishing capabilities (mostly IBIS), true. No easier system to get sharp, detailed images, true. Don't print large enough to justify it, true. Abandoning it for easier gear ... false. I'm going back to a much more difficult system to use - because I like using it more. It's not about "slowing down" or "being more thoughtful". It's just pleasure, and the inspiration that comes from enjoying the process. I have that luxury, and recognize that many photographers do not.

Best,

Matt

Shashin

I think this is just normal purchase patterns. With every new product release, there is a period soon after where the cameras are put on the secondhand market. I am also seeing a whole bunch of Nikon Z cameras advertised as well. The reason for this pattern is simply unknown. I think if it was a product defect, you would have heard--remember the Sony shutter-shock and star eater issues or Leica UV and sensor corrosion problems?

biglouis

I also owned the 50S before the 50R. The best thing about the 50S is the tilt/swivel adapter for the EVF. I really do miss it with the 50R. My only real gripe with the 50R is that it was incredibly cheap of Fuji not to include the landscape/portrait articulating screen. I've often wondered if it would be possible to buy the 50S screen as a spare part and have it fitted to the 50R.

LouisB

Rand47

Rand,

While I think you are right about many GFX100 buyers, I am in a slightly different position. Hobbyist, true. Attracted to astonishing capabilities (mostly IBIS), true. No easier system to get sharp, detailed images, true. Don't print large enough to justify it, true. Abandoning it for easier gear ... false. I'm going back to a much more difficult system to use - because I like using it more. It's not about "slowing down" or "being more thoughtful". It's just pleasure, and the inspiration that comes from enjoying the process. I have that luxury, and recognize that many photographers do not.

Best,

Matt
Matt,

I “get that” for sure! Enjoying, even reveling in the process, no matter what equipment one chooses, is one of the real joys of serious photography.

Rand

fotophil

A Fuji GFX system is on my "want" list; ideally probably a GFX100 plus a 50R and a couple lenses. Lately, I've seen several very low use GFX 100's coming up for sale at attractive prices. My question is it seems like the ultimate MF platform, so I'm wondering at the recent slew of sales?
There is a rumor of a 50S size body with 100 MP chip and image stabilization so I suspect that some current GFX1000 owners are just anticipating the drop in resale value.