The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX100S RRS L Bracket

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Apologies for the cross post but I know that lots of GFX owners hang here too.

Whoohoo my long-overdue order for the L bracket for the GFX100s landed today. Fits perfectly and allows access to the battery when bolted to the base. Captive hex key via magnets and if you need access to the ports then there's a typical RRS assembly with hex bolt that allows you to slide the vertical side out.

Btw, if you don't need the L bracket, the standard Fuji bracket worked well in landscape mode. A little inconvenient having to unlatch the plate to change batteries but otherwise a very nice plate too.

Last edited:

vjbelle

I thought the RRS Bracket would never arrive so I ordered an L bracket from Small Rig on Ebay for a whopping $63.00. Works extremely well, nicely made and also has a magnetic key. I can access the battery without having to remove anything. Easily matches the finish and fit of previous RRS brackets. Well worth the money.

Victor B.

GrahamWelland

I also looked at small rig but I missed the early opportunity before they sold out with extended delivery dates, hence why I bought the Fuji one. Given that, I ordered the RRS L and it eventually turned up. Hopefully, it helps new customers because they are shipping.

Last edited:

algrove

The slide out L portion of the bracket seems well thought out like the RRS for the Sony A7R4, but at what price versus $63?

SrMphoto

I have the SmallRig while I am waiting on the RRS plate (forgot to pre-order). I will switch to the RRS plate once it arrives mainly because of the QD connector.

vjbelle

The slide out L portion of the bracket seems well thought out like the RRS for the Sony A7R4, but at what price versus $63?
The slide out L portion of the small rig works identically to the RRS. It doesn't use an allen screw but rather a very hefty standard screw and the included tool for tightening fits into a magnetic slot just like the RRS. The only thing missing is the ability to connect a QD swivel. There are lots of other places to attach stuff. Well thought out and a steal at $63.00. I originally took the position that I would just risk the purchase price but am glad I purchased it.

Victor B

algrove

I have the SmallRig while I am waiting on the RRS plate (forgot to pre-order). I will switch to the RRS plate once it arrives mainly because of the QD connector.
Can't you just attach 2 Peak Design round red connectors to each side?

algrove

The slide out L portion of the small rig works identically to the RRS. It doesn't use an allen screw but rather a very hefty standard screw and the included tool for tightening fits into a magnetic slot just like the RRS. The only thing missing is the ability to connect a QD swivel. There are lots of other places to attach stuff. Well thought out and a steal at $63.00. I originally took the position that I would just risk the purchase price but am glad I purchased it.

Victor B
BTW it is now a wopping $79 at BH.

algrove

Like Don I have concluded that the Arca-Swiss L bracket is more practical since it fits about any body AND for me one can put the EVF at the top instead of at the bottom where one is fighting with the L bracket itself being so close to the EVF. Of course it must be removed for battery changes, but that is not that often for me for could nix the idea for many.

vjbelle

Lou, I have the Arca Swiss L Bracket and usually always use it until a dedicated L Bracket becomes available from someone. However it is heavy and although adjustable the attachment screw doesn't always fit with respect to length. There are times when it will bottom out and not make a firm bottom plate contact. I have actually machined mine to be a little shorter which has helped with this issue.

Victor B.

SrMphoto

Can't you just attach 2 Peak Design round red connectors to each side?
I do not like the dongles that always get twisted on my cameras. Also removing/attaching a QD mount is quicker than using the PD anchor links. Switching to the QD mount on all my cameras was one of the best ergonomics improvements that I have done to my equipment.
The main disadvantage of QD is that it needs a plate, while PD's system does not. So I combine it: if I am using a tripod plate, I use QD; if I need a lightweight setup, or use the PD CF tripod, I use PD.

algrove

Lou, I have the Arca Swiss L Bracket and usually always use it until a dedicated L Bracket becomes available from someone. However it is heavy and although adjustable the attachment screw doesn't always fit with respect to length. There are times when it will bottom out and not make a firm bottom plate contact. I have actually machined mine to be a little shorter which has helped with this issue.

Victor B.
Way back when I used M's I never liked having the L part of the bracket near the RF. As such I am looking forward to getting back to that approach once my 2nd 100S arrives (I had to send the 1st one back). As for the bottoming out issue I might just add more rubber on the plate to perhaps help.

GrahamWelland

Victor B.
I do the same as Victor - I was all Arca and the universal L works very well. I transitioned back to all RRS now but I can highly recommend the Arca universal L bracket.