The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Going light

Bugleone

I always enjoy and learn from Daniel's videos and find very little to disclaim in them.....

Of course, all of us 'old farts' already know this stuff because when we were starting much of this wisdom was forced on us anyway!........my first camera was a kodak 'box Brownie 2A' which had a fixed lens and only 8 frames on a roll of 620,....my next camera was a folding Zeiss with 12 shots and had come to England as a war souvenir.......Later I 'graduated' to Rollieflex cameras and these were a great help in training my eye.

With Fuji I only have an E3 with 18-55 and don't (currently) have any desire whatsoever for more lenses or extra bodies.......been there several times,...don't want to go again! Changing lenses on digital cameras is bad news anyway if you want to keep a clean sensor and more great images are lost changing lenses than are made with that fitted. Also, I mainly use only f8 & f5.6...there has to be a reason to use other apertures for me. It's been very interesting to look at the exif files and see that I mainly like the wide end for approx 60% of my shots annd only 10% have been at the long end etc

The only area where Daniel seems to require more thought is his 'difficulty' using the 50mm...........Surely it's better to fit your vision for a particular image to the view of your lens(?)...this is, afterall what us older people grew up doing with what were unbelievably crude cameras compared to current models.......

Great stuff 'thjo rayyan!

Last edited:
This completely goes along with what I was taught as a budding photographer: "Do not buy another lens until you thoroughly know how to use and have exhausted the possibilities of the one you have." I came up before zoom lenses were of professional quality and we learned to zoom with our feet.

montera

But then again a 50mm lens on a Leica M "kino" using 35 mm film is completely different animal compared to a 50mm lens on a Fuji APS-C, the difference is huge. Ok, you can use the foot zoom to try to get the same FOV but the mood of an image is more than a distance thing. It's hard to see how to assimilate solely to 50mm when the outcome is totally different. Or is there a hidden thing that I'm too old to figure out having started photography 1958.

rayyan

He was using a 35/2 lens on the Fuji X in the above video.
Thanks montera.
And welcome to the forum.

But then again a 50mm lens on a Leica M "kino" using 35 mm film is completely different animal compared to a 50mm lens on a Fuji APS-C, the difference is huge. Ok, you can use the foot zoom to try to get the same FOV but the mood of an image is more than a distance thing. It's hard to see how to assimilate solely to 50mm when the outcome is totally different. Or is there a hidden thing that I'm too old to figure out having started photography 1958.

montera

Oh, my bad. I just took the 50 mm he was using on the Leica and then he flashed the Fuji 50 mm f2 and I built the imaginary "truth" from that. Should have few hour nap before acting. Thank you, I've been lurking for years but somehow was in need to make some noise out of dimly lit every day dullnes.

Godfrey

To quote Albert Einstein, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”

The real problems to solve are what your intents for a photo session might be, and working out how to let go of the notion that you want to be prepared to do anything on every photo session. No one can ever be prepared to photograph anything on every photo session ... The trick is in knowing beforehand what you want to photograph and then to have the absolute minimum essential gear to do just that.

Milnor's thesis is good, I've heard it over and over again... But it does not obviate the notion that you need to know what you're after before you start and have just what's needed to do it. There are some kinds of subjects and some kinds of photographs that you need different equipment beyond a normal lens to capture ... knowing when you will need that alternative gear is the trick. And sometimes, you need to carry something different to see differently, to learn with... and assume that most of what you get on those occasions is just junk to learn with. The rest of the time, leave the extras behind and be free to see and make photographs.

And then ... Know how and why you use what gear: stop the fumbling around and wasting time deciding what you are going to use when the session is in progress. I've seen photographers fumble and waste energy and time even carrying just a single camera and lens, diddling with controls and settings and options. Make it simple, get to the point and make photographs.

G