The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my GFX100s today.

eisbaer

I was so lucky to preorder my GFX100s as the first one with my dealer and got mine today. As it seems supply is very limited. My dealer is a very big one and he got 2 (two) cameras in total. Sad thing there is no RAW Converter (as usual) which can open the RAW's but the JPEG's look fantastic. Noise is great, better then on my IQ4 and XF, if scaled down they at least match my Canon 1Dx III. Even if pushed 1 or 2 stops in the shadows an Image with 6400 or 12.800 ISO is quite usable and holds tons of details. Even 25.600 looks usable, while at 51.200 and 102.400 its going down the drain...
Autofocus is cool, but not as cool as written in the reviews at fujirumors. I had some scenes today with harsh light, with some fog and there was some hunting. So its no comparison to Nikon D5, Sony A7 or Canon 1Dx III, but for a Medium Format best what I've ever seen. A quick shot portrait - no problem at all, following a cat playing around... I doubt it...
Camera feels very small, smaller like my Canon 1Dx III, its incredible how Fuji had shrinked the camera down since the GFX100 (which I did not buy, just because I thought it was so ugly :) ) .
I took images with 1/4th of a second tack sharp with 100 MP, but you have to concentrate to get it.. No guarantee... If you use 1/25s and are careful every image should be tack sharp... And I used the 110 2.0 wide open.
Fuji seems to have to cut corners with the price point of 5.999 Euro, as its the first camera for this price I bought which has no charger included... You have to buy the dual charger separately... But at least they have a printed basic manual with about 120 pages.
If you have questions ask, but If you are interested in the camera ... I would recommend you break your bank.

Frank

OleBe

Hi Frank,

what I have read somewhere else, if you download an exif editor and change the entry from gfx100s to gfx100 you can import and edit the raws. ;-)

eisbaer

Just downloaded Fuji X Raw Studio... but (I am a bad bunny) still no RAW Converter available... EXIF trick might work, like with the GFX50s labeling as the IQ250... in the early days of Fuji Medium Format...

Paul2660

editing the exif will work fine. Raws should be the same. I had hoped that fuji might get a better fix on the AF, but your report sounds like it's no better than the GFX100. Fuji cannot hit sharp accurate AF in low light or in early morning light. Nothing like Nikon or even the Fuji X cameras. Very hit and miss and hunting. Sounds like no big change over GFX100.

Paul C

eisbaer

Low light is fine... Not as fast as my 1Dx III but impressive... Problem is in Harsh Lightning situations... But there you need about 0.3 seconds to Focus... For a Medium Format - impressive..

eisbaer

As we say in German... moaning at its highest stage... As said... go and preorder this camera if you need a "small" great quality Medium Format Camera, which you can shoot at 1/4th of a second with 100 Megapixels

Reactions: spb

eisbaer

Sorry not a native speaker: get them out of my cold dead hands... I am really impressed besides the AF... And the AF is cool for me. After the posts on Fujiforum, where I guess the guys posting reviews, got big advantages... Its not like you get an AF of a D5 but for a Medium Format... Impressive. For me this camera does everything I hoped for.

Mexecutioner

Sorry not a native speaker: get them out of my cold dead hands... I am really impressed besides the AF... And the AF is cool for me. After the posts on Fujiforum, where I guess the guys posting reviews, got big advantages... Its not like you get an AF of a D5 but for a Medium Format... Impressive. For me this camera does everything I hoped for.
Enjoy it and have fun, because in the end that is what matters.

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

gerald.d

I've had mine in hand for almost week now (Thai dealer here shipped early and I picked mine up last Friday). Sadly until my M645-G mount adapter turns up, I can't use it!

Adapter should be arriving on Monday though, and then I will be mounting it to my CAPcam. Looking forward to getting back into the world of medium format. I chose to get out of the Phase One ecosystem when the GFX 100 was announced - the writing (for me) was on the wall. Unfortunately the GFX 100 was physically too large for me to realistically mount to the CAPcam, so I got a Panasonic S1R as a stop-gap, hoping that at some point the prototype modular GFX system that Fuji showed off in Dubai a while back would make it to market.

No need to wait for that now - the GFX 100S is physically smaller than my Panasonic S1R. Cannot wait to put it on the CAPcam and start shooting with it. At $6,600 (including tax here), this camera is an absolute steal.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Christopher

Nice little camera. 🤣

ok, why can’t the stupid forum software downsize and iPhone Image? That kinda takes away the fun in posting. 🤬

algrove

EISBAER
What AF setting are you using? Perhaps try a larger focus square or a smaller one to see if it makes a difference.

SrMphoto

Matt Granger did 3 videos about GFX100s. Here is the summary:
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm...tops-shadow-recovery-test-autofocus-and-more/

Relevant excerpt about AF:
- ... GFX shooters recommended him to set the camera on zone AF
- zone continuous AF works quite well actually, with the mechanical shutter, boost AF mode with tracking focus priority (rather than release priority)
- the camera is doing quite well in this mode, and by far the best option to get best AF tracking results
- still it’s not near Canon, Sony and Nikon, but he also would not expect it

mota25

Frank, I would like to ask how good is the EVF. That is one thing holding me back. Now I don't have issues with EVF on my GFX50s but from what I read magnification is less on this new EVF. I was hoping it will be at least the 5.7MP EVF like on GFX100, even if not tiltable.

Second thing would be to check how easy it is to manual focus in low light. Using A7rIV and GFX50s, I see Sony easier to focus as view in EVF at zoomed in mode is much clearer.

Thanks

spb

Staff member
Hi Frank,

what I have read somewhere else, if you download an exif editor and change the entry from gfx100s to gfx100 you can import and edit the raws. ;-)
Nope it must be changed to GFX 100 (with that space), then C1 V21 opens it perfectly for editing.

Could you tell me what Exif editor you are using? I have been trying with no success, I have been able to read the raws with the Fuji software and the camera plugged into the PC with the sd card in a card reader but its painfully slow.

Last edited:

c1400700226

I was so lucky to preorder my GFX100s as the first one with my dealer and got mine today. As it seems supply is very limited. My dealer is a very big one and he got 2 (two) cameras in total. Sad thing there is no RAW Converter (as usual) which can open the RAW's but the JPEG's look fantastic. Noise is great, better then on my IQ4 and XF, if scaled down they at least match my Canon 1Dx III. Even if pushed 1 or 2 stops in the shadows an Image with 6400 or 12.800 ISO is quite usable and holds tons of details. Even 25.600 looks usable, while at 51.200 and 102.400 its going down the drain...
Autofocus is cool, but not as cool as written in the reviews at fujirumors. I had some scenes today with harsh light, with some fog and there was some hunting. So its no comparison to Nikon D5, Sony A7 or Canon 1Dx III, but for a Medium Format best what I've ever seen. A quick shot portrait - no problem at all, following a cat playing around... I doubt it...
Camera feels very small, smaller like my Canon 1Dx III, its incredible how Fuji had shrinked the camera down since the GFX100 (which I did not buy, just because I thought it was so ugly :) ) .
I took images with 1/4th of a second tack sharp with 100 MP, but you have to concentrate to get it.. No guarantee... If you use 1/25s and are careful every image should be tack sharp... And I used the 110 2.0 wide open.
Fuji seems to have to cut corners with the price point of 5.999 Euro, as its the first camera for this price I bought which has no charger included... You have to buy the dual charger separately... But at least they have a printed basic manual with about 120 pages.
If you have questions ask, but If you are interested in the camera ... I would recommend you break your bank.

Frank
Hi, could you please post a deep underexposed 16bit uncompressed RAF sample? I am very interested about this camera and want to check the shadow banding issue, thanks in advance!

spb

Staff member
Could you tell me what Exif editor you are using? I have been trying with no success, I have been able to read the raws with the Fuji software and the camera plugged into the PC with the sd card in a card reader but its painfully slow.
Exif Editor which I think is a fantastic little app, which I use a lot. In the two attachments, these are the very first entries. I have only changed the Camera model name in that one place using Exif Editor.

Attachments

Last edited: