The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my GFX100s today.

Ed Hurst

That's so kind of you! To avoid overloading the wider group with the discussion, I'll PM you - but we can share the findings with everyone afterwards :)

algrove

Can anyone confirm that B&H shipped their 100S recently and if so what was your B&H order date please. Thanks.

algrove

Question about Image Sizes with 100S.

RE 100S Image sizes. I see on p104 of the manual you can select different image sizes like where L=11658x8736 in 4:3 for 102MP and M=8256x6192 in 4:3 for 52MP, but it is not clear to me if this represents RAW images. I am not interested in jpegs as I plan to record RAW to both cards (as a form of backup) and switch to ACROS on the EVF when I want to see a composition in B&W.

spb

Staff member
Question about Image Sizes with 100S.

RE 100S Image sizes. I see on p104 of the manual you can select different image sizes like where L=11658x8736 in 4:3 for 102MP and M=8256x6192 in 4:3 for 52MP, but it is not clear to me if this represents RAW images. I am not interested in jpegs as I plan to record RAW to both cards (as a form of backup) and switch to ACROS on the EVF when I want to see a composition in B&W.
If you want only RAW change Image Quality to RAW. Then on my camera at least Image Size is niôw grayed out and RAW in yellow is displayed.

algrove

So sounds like one cannot change RAW Image Sizes to 51MP for example in camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: spb

vjbelle

No you cannot change the raw size in camera. However it's easy to create a recipe in C1 to create a 50MP Tiff. I do that a lot when I travel so that my laptop can have a faster workflow once in PS.

Victor B.

spb

Staff member
No you cannot change the raw size in camera. However it's easy to create a recipe in C1 to create a 50MP Tiff. I do that a lot when I travel so that my laptop can have a faster workflow once in PS.

Victor B.
Thanks Victor, I guess I got so used to doing such in C1 by recipe that I forgot that one cannot do it in camera.

algrove

Here goes--

STRANGE
Body cao on with Fujifilm on cap upside down-normally a new camera does not have the cap put on wrong
S, C, M Switch which has always been on "S" on all 4 other Fuji cameras I've owned when new, but this switch on "M"
PASM Switch set to S without detent button locked down
So I ask myself who's played with this camera and where?

BAD
Turn on camera and to my surprise all words are in Japanese. Every screen. Thus, I do not know how to set it up.

Call Fuji GFX Support and the guy says hit enter on the first line and then hit the right arrow on the forth line. Next look for English although it was not visible. Then he asked what language was near or next to the language the camera was already on. I see Turkish (Maybe). Then he said you have to go way up the list near the top to find English. I find English and accept it and now everything is in English. He seems satisfied, but not me.

So I call B&H who upon hearing of this issue immediately issues an RMA return, but the csutoemer service guy wants one of their Fuji experts to hear my story.
While talking to this second B&H guy I wonder what would happen if I hit "reset". Will it take me to English or back to Japanese. I did it and it's Japanese. The B&H expert says send it back since he thinks there is something strange about the board in the camera.

Then I call Fuji back and explain the latest findings to another guy who agrees there is something strange about the board, the placement of the dials and the body cap on wrong. He apologizes but said to send it back to B&H. However they have no replacements and cannot even do repairs until new bodies are received at their location. Then I asked about the shutter problem and he said they repaired all US cameras with shutter problems here in the US.

B&H tells me that the next batch of new 100S is due only around mid June. Maybe that's best I say to myself as there are more problems than shutter repairs based on this experience of mine.

Last edited:

Knorp

Sorry to read this, Lou. I wonder what could have happened, because it really seems somebody had a go at this particular copy for better or worse.
Anyway, If you still have confidence in Fuji (and B&H) better wait for that next batch.
Perhaps I should reset mine and see where it takes me ... :unsure:

vjbelle

WOW..... I went through three '100' versions and ended up returning all due to issues. My first showed a shot count of 3000. My second had lens mount marks and a filthy sensor cover. Too bad you are going through this.

Victor B.

Last edited:

Shashin

In the resent order to B&H, they sent me an obviously used product as new. I think B&H simply puts returns into stock again and resells them. Unfortunately, this is not my first experience with that with B&H, but I chalked it up to a mix up. I am thinking it is company policy. I have decided not to order from them any longer.

algrove

For now I will live with my 50R which is fine for the few images I am taking and will probably take until this time 2022 assuming COVID situation under control by then.

Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
50R is a lovely camera to use, I really like the results from it. Now if the 100R (I can hope) comes it would be good to be a little smaller like the 100S, have Ibis, an articulating LCD screen and have about the same weight.....and use the same batteries as the 100S. I would pre-order it today.

spb

Staff member
Good tips Joe, I always check but then I always buy in person never online. I will never buy such a complex thing as a digital camera online. Same with computers, same with food. Online is a trap. I hate buying things unseen.

PSS

not sure if BH (Adorama,...) still sells grey market items, they used to be clearly labeled as such. they are (were) usually (questionable?) imports from other markets, so you would get a camera set up with a non English menu and such, warranty is obviously different as well. maybe you got something like that? either way it should be labeled as such.
since they accept returns without question, I don't have a problem buying at any of these places.
it does seem more and more that these new cameras are rushed out the door because expectation is so completely out of control these days.
the second the new "100 whatever" is ANNOUNCED people treat it like old news and start threads about wether they should wait to buy the next model. its crazy. I really do feel sorry for retailers who in many ways are behind at all times in this race, they depend on the manufacturers who depend on the suppliers. and all to bring out a product that feels like old new the second it ships. no wonder corners are cut and things happen.

spb

Staff member
not sure if BH (Adorama,...) still sells grey market items, they used to be clearly labeled as such. they are (were) usually (questionable?) imports from other markets, so you would get a camera set up with a non English menu and such, warranty is obviously different as well. maybe you got something like that? either way it should be labeled as such.
since they accept returns without question, I don't have a problem buying at any of these places.
it does seem more and more that these new cameras are rushed out the door because expectation is so completely out of control these days.
the second the new "100 whatever" is ANNOUNCED people treat it like old news and start threads about wether they should wait to buy the next model. its crazy. I really do feel sorry for retailers who in many ways are behind at all times in this race, they depend on the manufacturers who depend on the suppliers. and all to bring out a product that feels like old new the second it ships. no wonder corners are cut and things happen.
Fairly put

algrove

50R is a lovely camera to use, I really like the results from it. Now if the 100R (I can hope) comes it would be good to be a little smaller like the 100S, have Ibis, an articulating LCD screen and have about the same weight.....and use the same batteries as the 100S. I would pre-order it today.
Me too!!!

algrove

Lou, it sounds like you received a camera that somebody had used. Having had something similar happen to me, I always check for obvious signs of use (menus not set to default settings, switches and dials not set to default settings, wear or finger oils on buttons and grip...). And I've called B&H Customer Service at least once to insist on getting a fresh, new replacement for something I was returning. Even Amazon has a bad habit of putting returned goods back into inventory.

A good copy of the GFX 100S is a truly remarkable camera. There may be other smaller retailers that have inventory before June. Hang in there.

Joe
Yes strange Joe, but I asked and the customer service guy at B&H told me I was the first person to receive this camera and no gray market cameras since it is back ordered the world over. But why was the body cap on backwards? etc, etc, etc?