The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Happy with X1D?

aksclix

Who here is still very much happy with their X1D and don't find the enhancements in X1D II essential to make the upgrade?
I got the X1D recently and have been pretty satisfied with it.. I am looking for reasons to NOT get the upgrade already.. I intended to shoot only with the 45p and use this X1D as a walk around camera but after seeing some samples of the 90mm XCD lens, I just couldn't resist buying it. It's got way better background separation than some of the 2.8 lenses I have used in MF systems. It's truly gorgeous! But this is it though, I probably wouldn't get any other XCD lenses.. that's another reason why I don't really want an upgrade to X1D II.

I used to have a GFX 50r but sold it in December and now without a GFX body and several lenses as I eagerly wait for my pre-ordered 100s too be shipped like many many others I guess.. :)
Naturally, the 80mm f1.7 is also pre-ordered! I've got 23, 32-64, 50, 110, 250+1.4x TC already.. and a 120 macro with GFX adapter from my older Pentax 645 system..

tcdeveau

Compared to the X1DII, I'm happy with the original X1D and I didn't upgrade to the X1DII. The improvements of the X1DII, like the larger screen, ipad tethering, improved responsiveness, etc, are nice, but I didn't think they were worth the $$ and wouldn't improve my shooting (landscape/cityscape).

I've been wanting to get the 35-75mm to complete my kit (have the 21 and 90 currently and waited for years for the zoom) and now that it's out, I can't bring myself to justify spending the $$ at the moment in view of the ongoing pandemic and the GFX100S release.

aksclix

Great!! That was my conclusion too.. i have no issues with the start up time either.. I have the v mount 60-120 lens.. IQ is pretty good. Despite the weight!

jng

The upgrade provides a few nice features, but at the end of the day it's the same sensor and same image quality. However only you can judge whether the minor refinements of the X1Dii are worth it to you. FWIW, I'm perfectly happy with my original X1D and have decided to squander - er, invest - my dollars elsewhere rather than spend thousands with no net gain in image quality. At this point I'm waiting for my wife to forgive my recent spending sprees and Hasselblad to come out with the 100 Mp version. Rinse and repeat.

John

aksclix

Thanks John! i have compared them and those specs didn’t feel compelling enough despite the gorgeous lcd screen and better evf. The startup time or other workflows weren’t quite a problem for me for a few reasons.. it’s not my primary camera, I don’t need it to be fast, the IQ is the same.. I also think the grip is better in first version..

aksclix

Thanks @vieri for sharing the detailed reviews of both cameras.. It's great that you take the time to do this for others to read..
I can see definite selling points for the v2 with some of the features there.. Considering I just acquired the X1D less than a month ago, I am going to give this one a longer run to figure out if any of the issues bother me pushing me ahead for an upgrade.. so far, I am doing OK with initially lowered expectations based on the bugs highlighted by several folks in the community. The jittery dials certainly are the worst of them all but I am much happier using the screen to adjust anything.

vieri

Thanks @vieri for sharing the detailed reviews of both cameras.. It's great that you take the time to do this for others to read..
I can see definite selling points for the v2 with some of the features there.. Considering I just acquired the X1D less than a month ago, I am going to give this one a longer run to figure out if any of the issues bother me pushing me ahead for an upgrade.. so far, I am doing OK with initially lowered expectations based on the bugs highlighted by several folks in the community. The jittery dials certainly are the worst of them all but I am much happier using the screen to adjust anything.
You are very welcome, always glad to help :) Sounds like a good plan to me! Enjoy your X1D, and - if you'll ever feel that the extra features of v2 are worth the upgrade - go for it then.

Best regards,

Vieri

Gravastar

Hi,
Are you aware of the simple fix in a hidden service menu for the jittery dial problem?

Go to main menu, tap on cogwheel, scroll down and tap About, now rapidly tap the Firmware line at the top 5 or 6 times. You should see a notification that additional functions in the Service Menu have been activated. Go to the Service Menu, scroll down to additional functions and set Scroll Wheel Handling to Adjusted. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

I purchased the original X1D when it was first introduced and for landscape photography found it's image quality to be superb and functionality more than adequate. Only problem was having no suitable backup when travelling. I subsequently obtained a X1DII intending to keep the mark 1 as a backup although I now use them interchangeably.
There are some Mk2 features such as distance scale display, exposure adjustment for each picture in a time lapse and focus stacking which are associated with firmware updates and are not available for the Mk1.

Bob.

aksclix

Wow! Just wow.. thank you so much!! don’t know why it would be in a secret menu! I’ve followed the video and it works for me..

Focus stacking in camera definitely is a great addition in x1d II.. I’ll look for some good deals and get it sometime this year..

jng

Wow! Just wow.. thank you so much!! don’t know why it would be in a secret menu! I’ve followed the video and it works for me..

Focus stacking in camera definitely is a great addition in x1d II.. I’ll look for some good deals and get it sometime this year..
The latest firmware for the original X1D provides for focus stacking as well.

jng

I thought it’s only focus bracketing in camera, you can focus stacking in camera as well with x1d?
It's been a while since I've used this feature, but if I recall correctly you set the start point (near or far), the number and size of steps, and the camera will run through the exposures. The actual stacking is done in post-processing, not in-camera. I don't know whether the X1Dii handles this any differently but I think this information can be found together with the actual firmware on the Hasselblad site.

John

aksclix

It's been a while since I've used this feature, but if I recall correctly you set the start point (near or far), the number and size of steps, and the camera will run through the exposures. The actual stacking is done in post-processing, not in-camera. I don't know whether the X1Dii handles this any differently but I think this information can be found together with the actual firmware on the Hasselblad site.

John
Yea, I read the release notes and it does mention stacking is to be done externally using some s/w. I think only Panasonic and Olympus does it in camera.. not sure about x1d ii

Gravastar

My error. I said focus stacking when I should have said focus bracketing. The X1DII produces a set of images that have to be combined with software. It does not do the stacking/combination in camera.

Paratom

I upgrade to MKII and dont regret it. The MKII is not worlds faster, but just that much faster than I am not annoyed anymore about startup-time. I also enjoy the improved viewfinder.
Its not worlds apart and it is somewhat luxury to upgrade, but for me viewfinder and startup time were more important than an improved viewfinder.
Of course IQ is the same.

Photon42

The X1D never clicked with me really, but the X1D2 did - so I bought the second version. I guess my main points really are the improved responsiveness, improved viewfinder / lcd and mobile integration. Integrated GPS and faster startup time are not so important to me. And I really dig the gun metal color.

aksclix

Yeup.. I also like the graphite color.. it looks way better but the grip maybe better in v1.. the responsiveness is probably why I might eventually upgrade.. however, the x1d doesn’t seem like it’s too outdated.. if it were like the low res Leica S2, it would’ve been a no-brainer to go for the upgrade.. this screen and evf are still decent enough and gets the job done..

I haven’t used it for serious work yet and that’s probably why I haven’t found the x1d lacking in speed.. also, I have the SL2 and GFX 100s coming.. plus an S1R and Canon R6.. so, having other bodies helps not missing a moment anyway.. I purchased the x1d for a more relaxed shooting experience.. the 90mm really got me excited.. and the 45 f4 also of course..

edouard

Funnily, initially I wasn't interested by a smaller sensor camera (than my 2011! CFV-50 ccd with 500C/M), but when I saw a X1D 4116 (Black!) in some shop (used, but still under warranty), I couldn't resist, it's too "sleek" ;)
It was the first series (had to send it for repair because of "temperamental" release button and wheels etc... 'works great since). I love it.
It's nice to have an unobtrusive / "stealth" (mini)MF camera (not some monster where people stop and ask you what this is or how cute your old big camera is)

I'm eager for a successor with an IMX-461 sensor with an even better IQ. I would love to have usable auto-focus, maybe a joystick (to set focus/loupe point), a higher magnification (more than resolution) & faster EVF. 'Really hope they'll keep the same form factor (= would prefer no IBIS!), and release a black version!
But do I need a successor: not really ;)

Last edited: