The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has Leica created their own bottleneck?

algrove

After 8 months and barely a trickle of APO 35 Summicron lenses out there it seems Leica has created their own mess. Or have production issues slowed or stopped production for a while just like when the APO 50 was introduced.

Paul2660

Curious. Are you referring to supply of SL primes? I checked online and most are in stock at the usual places like B&H etc. Only the 90mm seems out of stock.

Paul

Paul2660

Got it. For sure that lens is not very available but the cost @ 8.4 K I would assume makes it a bit out reach for many. Me included.

Paul

Paul Spinnler

I heard from a Leica sales rep that it is very difficult to manufacture and some glass elements need to be treated (frozen?) for months to be used in the manufacturing.

Suppose the pandemic with its value chain disrupting impact makes it even more dificult to quickly churn these lenses out … get one if you can!

Godfrey

First world problem ... :eek: LOL!

All kidding aside, I expect an $8500.00 35mm lens for a 35mm format camera to be a serious rarity.
It's way over my pay grade so I never really thought about how quickly I could get one. If the price were half that, it would still be a very expensive lens but I'd have a hope of maybe, someday owning one. And I'm a patient buyer... I waited 8 months for my Hasselblad 907x Special Edition to arrive. :cool:

G