The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 28 Sept 2021 "Beyond Classic"

PSS

V style box mirrorless with larger sensor (150mpix) taking V and H glass?
the H lens in the teaser makes me think whatever it is, it has to take H glass, and I can't imagine a new H body with mirror. the black texture points towards V style body. I guess we will know on the 28th. either way, I hope it is something forward looking.

richardman

I'm familiar with the H series, so there's a H lens?

Then clearly it's new mirrorless with autofocus support for H and X lens ;-)

Godfrey

I guess we only have a couple of days to wait and see what they're teasing about.
I'm patient ... and I'm not buying anything new for the moment ... :D

G

PabloR

haha, im still paying the move to X system.

there is also a short image of a large circle, a line crossing the frame for a second.

and also a new logo. There is the classic circle inside a square with a dot, the outlines of the box and lens and shutter button. But now two more circles are added.

personally cannot wait to the new announcement, last were big changes, I remember the day Hasselblad did the official event for the X system.

I still think H will have mirror, without it, what will you do with the distance to sensor with H lenses ??? Mirror cameras has still fast and clear viewfinders.

I hope soon X system EVF has 6 millions, 120fps or more and no black out. By the way I am using only X system and close to happy with the workflow.

steveash

The circles make up an 80 because it’s the brand’s anniversary. It’s a little confusing the suggestion of a classic camera but what looks like an H mount lens.

My guess is that they will make a V style body with a digital back/sensor that will accept their own lenses. So either H-mount, X-mount or a new range of AF V-mount lenses. Perhaps a classic body that takes the CFV back and H lenses?

Either way, I expect like the 907X, it will be desirable rather than a technical tour de force.

jduncan

New surprise from Hasselblad, COOL !!
I have frankly lost any hope. My guess is that it's an accessory. At least that is what I telling myself to avoid being disappointed.
One can hope, but I will try to force myself not to do it.

Best regards,

Last edited:

jduncan

haha, im still paying the move to X system.

there is also a short image of a large circle, a line crossing the frame for a second.

and also a new logo. There is the classic circle inside a square with a dot, the outlines of the box and lens and shutter button. But now two more circles are added.

personally cannot wait to the new announcement, last were big changes, I remember the day Hasselblad did the official event for the X system.

I still think H will have mirror, without it, what will you do with the distance to sensor with H lenses ??? Mirror cameras has still fast and clear viewfinders.

I hope soon X system EVF has 6 millions, 120fps or more and no black out. By the way I am using only X system and close to happy with the workflow.
If they move to the 100mpixel sensor they may be able to improve the readout, AF and the viewfinder. Clearly that depends on they wanting to invest on the platform. I hope you dreams come true, for the good of us all.

The other question is what will be next? I am not sure Sony has a pipeline of MF sensors.

Best regards,

Godfrey

I have frankly lost any hope. My guess sis that it's an accessory. At least that is what I telling myself to avoid being disappointed.
On can hope, but I will try to force myself not to do it.
What were you hoping for that you've "lost any hope"?

G

SrMphoto

If they move to the 100mpixel sensor they may be able to improve the readout, AF and the viewfinder. Clearly that depends on they wanting to invest on the platform. I hope you dreams come true, for the good of us all.

The other question is what will be next? I am not sure Sony has a pipeline of MF sensors.

Best regards,
Jim Kasson measured the readout speeds of 50MP and 100MP sensors of GFX cameras:
50MP: 1/4 sec (14-bits)
100MP: 1/6 sec (14-bits) and 1/3 sec (16-bits).

The main advantage of the 100MP sensor is dual-conversion gain and less aliasing.

jduncan

What were you hoping for that you've "lost any hope"?

G
Anything that shows progress and investment: Firmware updates for the H, implementation of the new sensor on the X or the H, improved AF and view finder for the X, an actual macro lens for the X, a lens longer than 135mm for the X, a new lens for the H with a new, modern design. As I say before: Anything that show progress, believe on the platform future and investment.

Please notice that I am not talking about all of the above My point in any of them. Right know it could be too little to late (to. implement just one), as Fuji and the 35mm folks have advanced so much.

Maybe tomorrow I will be jumping in one foot, full of happiness. On the other hand, the image does not seem to be part of a X1D, so it could be a one off APC camera or something similar, so there is that.

Best regards,

Godfrey

Obvious to me that your hopes are not aligned with mine.

I'm pretty happy with the V and X system just as it is. I don't really hope for much, because I don't need much if anything beyond what the system already offers. New stuff that advances my photography by any substantive margin is pretty rare. I just don't need it ... I hope to continue to explore and develop my photographic vision; the equipment I have is well up to that task. But new stuff is always fun and entertaining to see and consider what benefit it might have.

It shouldn't be a distraction. I don't care what Fuji or "the 35mm crowd" are doing, I don't need to worry about how or why they compare in relation. That worry is for Hasselblad to manage, not for me: I don't need to buy any new equipment or switch systems. I just need to do more with the equipment I have, and I know it's already capable enough to do anything I need. :)

G

tcdeveau

I'd also like to see some new lenses/bodies for the H and X system but am not holding my breath. A true digital xpan would be cool too.

I'd at least like to see them move forward with the current generation of 33x44mm 100mp and 40x54mm 150mp sensors. The V1D concept they showed awhile ago was exciting so maybe it's something based on that. The 907x (to me) showed that they are capable of coming out with some unique hardware offerings that can get us gear nerds excited....I feel just another 100mp or 150mp camera would be somewhat boring without something unique on the hardware side.

I guess we have less than 24 hours to wait if my math is right. Curious to see what they come out with but I'll just be cheering them on from the sidelines on this one.

jduncan

Obvious to me that your hopes are not aligned with mine.

I'm pretty happy with the V and X system just as it is. I don't really hope for much, because I don't need much if anything beyond what the system already offers. New stuff that advances my photography by any substantive margin is pretty rare. I just don't need it ... I hope to continue to explore and develop my photographic vision; the equipment I have is well up to that task. But new stuff is always fun and entertaining to see and consider what benefit it might have.

It shouldn't be a distraction. I don't care what Fuji or "the 35mm crowd" are doing, I don't need to worry about how or why they compare in relation. That worry is for Hasselblad to manage, not for me: I don't need to buy any new equipment or switch systems. I just need to do more with the equipment I have, and I know it's already capable enough to do anything I need. :)

G
I can see your point. On the other hand, we eventually will need support of parts etc. The company can't survive of clients like you, even more so that you are so happy with what you have that you don't care about improvements. It's unlikely that you are going to become a sustain business for them anytime soon (because you are happy). The company needs to attract new blood and sustain the current clients. One of the members of this forum invested a fortune in a. H6D-100c only to see the platform all but abandoned (at the moment of this writing).

In order to survive a company needs to show that they are investing in their products, that they believe in them.

In fewer words : it's not just about you or me; It's about market and market perception.

Many people, including many professionals, take into account the market and the life expectancy of the brand before investing more(or first time) in a platform.

That is Profoto's key: they continue to move forward. Their stuff is overpriced, but it's good enough and, for the most part, up to date.

Hasselblad does not need to match the technology of the 35mm or even Fuji, but they need to move.

Best regards,

PabloR

haha, maybe new stickers Lol

well, actually the Klein is "beyond classic", so will it be about how we made pictures before and how we do today? Hasselblad has amazing concepts in their lines, so a new concept will be so cool :)

I think photography is not about megapixels, X system doesn't need more resolution, need more speed to connect photographers to their subjects. And new camera concepts will be so fun, a reminiscence of the classic V body.

Last edited:

PabloR

about H investment... the system is so complete, I don't miss nothing in the line, and is still the only full frame medium format with video, so it is still a step forward. As always.

X system is growing, they should add some new lenses: at least a mid tele photo zoom, extension tubes, new tilt shift compact size design for the system, evf for 907x II would be great, etc... it will be also so cool to have a complete system as V and H was.

Godfrey

I can see your point. On the other hand, we eventually will need support of parts etc. The company can't survive of clients like you, even more so that you are so happy with what you have that you don't care about improvements. It's unlikely that you are going to become a sustain business for them anytime soon (because you are happy). The company needs to attract new blood and sustain the current clients. One of the members of this forum invested a fortune in a. H6D-100c only to see the platform all but abandoned (at the moment of this writing).

In order to survive a company needs to show that they are investing in their products, that they believe in them.

In fewer words : it's not just about you or me; It's about market and market perception.

Many people, including many professionals, take into account the market and the life expectancy of the brand before investing more(or first time) in a platform.

That is Profoto's key: they continue to move forward. Their stuff is overpriced, but it's good enough and, for the most part, up to date.

Hasselblad does not need to match the technology of the 35mm or even Fuji, but they need to move.

Best regards,
I don't worry about the market and the future of the company ... That worry is Hasselblad's responsibility.

I've been using Hasselblad gear since the 1990s. Neither it nor the company have ever let me down when I needed service and support. That's what matters to me, personally. As far as I can see, the company is doing well and remains quite healthy. For my use, their products are satisfactory and better at least.

No market can be grown without limits: there are only so many people in the audience for any class or category of products. A business like Hasselblad has to consider, if they haven't already, how to continue being profitable in a saturated market. If they're smart, they have already. Again, that's not my worry.

I buy gear based upon what I need to do and what is available that does it, same way I bought gear for my photography business and for the company I worked for most of my career, not projecting what the company manufacturing the gear might do in a decade. The needs for buying gear live on a shorter time line, unless you're buying things for the space program (which I did for a while...). My personal needs are generally immediate and, once serviced, ongoing without continued expense or need for expansion of the gear. I don't invest in a platform, per se: I buy gear that I start to depreciate the moment it arrives. Gear itself is not an investment as it is not an appreciating asset to my work; it is the tools with which I make my investment in photographs that are the appreciating assets.

Far as I'm concerned, I have everything I need for the V system and have had it for a while; the 120 Macro lens is about all I would like for the X system and maybe a native mount extension tube so it could also achieve 1:1 macro (although I only rarely need more than 1:2 which it does without accessories). I don't need much more than the other four lenses I have already..

I guess we simply have different perspectives on buying equipment.

G