The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 28 Sept 2021 "Beyond Classic"

richardman

To further lower everyone's expectation, it will be a pinhole lenscap for the X and 907X systems. It's definitely classic

PSS

I can see your point. On the other hand, we eventually will need support of parts etc. The company can't survive of clients like you, even more so that you are so happy with what you have that you don't care about improvements. It's unlikely that you are going to become a sustain business for them anytime soon (because you are happy). The company needs to attract new blood and sustain the current clients. One of the members of this forum invested a fortune in a. H6D-100c only to see the platform all but abandoned (at the moment of this writing).

In order to survive a company needs to show that they are investing in their products, that they believe in them.

In fewer words : it's not just about you or me; It's about market and market perception.

Many people, including many professionals, take into account the market and the life expectancy of the brand before investing more(or first time) in a platform.

That is Profoto's key: they continue to move forward. Their stuff is overpriced, but it's good enough and, for the most part, up to date.

Hasselblad does not need to match the technology of the 35mm or even Fuji, but they need to move.

Best regards,
when I saw the post on instagram, the first comment was from a very successful commercial photographer, something along the lines of shame on hasselblad for even thinking about something new and not supporting their customers. I guess I get it, I was never a big fan of the H system, I always considered it something the rental houses bought and loaned out which is how I and most people I know used them. obviously a lot of people also bought into the system and went through a few generations ut in all honesty, it is dead. not sure what hasselblad should do to upgrade it. afaik it is still fully supported and serviced. there are still tons of people shooting it. the 400mpix pixel shift back is afaik pretty amazing if you need that kind of thing. there is a reason phase came out with the XT. I think it serves most people who need that kind of file just better.
I know a lot of people are calling for the 100mpix sensor in the X2D, I don't know if it is possible, but I am not sure that is the answer anyway. the biggest advantage of hasselblad right now is the flexibility of the system, a lot of which still relies on the H and V.
I am hoping for something that stays within that range, making use of all glass, obviously a larger sensor would make sense since that is something fuji definitely won't do (for now?) and Phase IMO is turning more and more into a software company selling niche products to keep a certain status alive.
either way I am really happy hasselblad is coming out with something, fuji is doing great but I honestly feel they are trying to align themselves as a better IQ mirrorless FF alternative without really pushing IQ towards the top.

dwood

With the ongoing worldwide shortage of electronic components, this has to be a tough time to announce a new product. "We have this great new camera system we think you'll love but sadly, we don't expect to have the parts to build it for another 12-18 months." Sure hope that wouldn't be the case. Anyway, I'm anxious to find out what they've been working on!

buildbot

With the ongoing worldwide shortage of electronic components, this has to be a tough time to announce a new product. "We have this great new camera system we think you'll love but sadly, we don't expect to have the parts to build it for another 12-18 months." Sure hope that wouldn't be the case. Anyway, I'm anxious to find out what they've been working on!
Very true, though hopefully considering they considered this in their design and it won’t be too constrained. It’s not like any of their gear is very high volume, compared to most other camera makers?

tcdeveau

Very true, though hopefully considering they considered this in their design and it won’t be too constrained. It’s not like any of their gear is very high volume, compared to most other camera makers?
They’re not exactly known for hitting delivery estimates….even without chip shortages.

As with any other manufacturer these days when new gear is announced, I’d be prepared to exercise a lot of patience following the announcement. I’d love for them to prove me wrong though.

Looking forward to the announcement…

Steve Hendrix

But high volume is relative. Hasselblad doesn't plan for Sony volume production with Hasselblad sales volume. They plan for Hasselblad production with Hasselblad sales volume. And Hasselblad production is not at the same capacity as Sony production (as an example). In the best of times, Hasselblad can't ship 1000 units a week, or even 500 units a week (as an example). They're just not constructed that way as a company.

With almost every new product that is announced these days, there is a huge initial spike in demand that far, far exceeds the normal manufacturing capacity of most of these companies regardless of their level of overall volume. Once the hubbub simmers down, they're back to normal ship times. Few of them ever meet that initial demand at the outset. You hear that "demand has exceeded expectations" which is also never the case. Demand - at best - meets expectations, but few if any of these companies ever meet that frenzy at the start. IME

Steve Hendrix/CI

sog1927

To further lower expectations: a "collectible" x1d body with a different textured grip and an "80th anniversary" nameplate.

P. Chong

haha…I actually have an Alpa pinhole camera somewhere in my studio. Given to me when I met Thomas Weber in Zurich in 1999. Loads 120 roll film. Gotta go find it and do some shoots.

I think we already have that covered? :)

And no, I don't know what the announcement is (and if I did I wouldn't say).

Steve Hendrix/CI

edouard

where could we watch this event ?... I don't see anything on Hasselblad youtube chanel (I hope it's not only via their facebook page) ...

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Leica does this all the time. While it's disappointing to see effort go into things like the "James Bond Edition", these are probably huge profit sources for the company and help support improvements in their other gear. Or, at least that's what I hope...

There's a very funny piece called Rolled in Rare Bohemian Onyx, then Vulacnized by Hand that skewers the entire Mail Order Special Edition industry.