The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HASSELBLAD 907x Major connection issues

JAB

As Steve has said, Hasselblad has performed as they should with the connection issue. I had the problem, tried to live with it, realized that I shouldn't, and communicated with Hasselblad. The support people have been very nice and the shipping was handled by them. Rightfully, they needed to have the camera before they could say anything about my specific issue. Once they evaluated that I hadn't played soccer with it, or taken it in the shower like some and their AS Cube, they rapidly replaced the 907x body. It works perfectly. As many have said, a warranty is there for a reason and Hasselblad has honored it. Thank you Hasselblad. And the other aspect that I think of; I'll have and enjoy the 907x/50c for decades. Just like I have had my V system for nearly 30 years.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As Steve has said, Hasselblad has performed as they should with the connection issue. I had the problem, tried to live with it, realized that I shouldn't, and communicated with Hasselblad. The support people have been very nice and the shipping was handled by them. Rightfully, they needed to have the camera before they could say anything about my specific issue. Once they evaluated that I hadn't played soccer with it, or taken it in the shower like some and their AS Cube, they rapidly replaced the 907x body. It works perfectly. As many have said, a warranty is there for a reason and Hasselblad has honored it. Thank you Hasselblad. And the other aspect that I think of; I'll have and enjoy the 907x/50c for decades. Just like I have had my V system for nearly 30 years.
I have shipped my entire kit to HASSELBLAD in Sweden , where it arrived yesterday , and I am waiting for a response from them .
Hopefully it does not take weeks to have the kit back here . The pandemic of course might cause some serious delay .

Just putting this out there since i read about it on the hasselblad forum....
i just noticed the thin plastic film around the edges of the 907...which obviously needs to be removed but somehow i failed to know about it or see it in using the camera for weeks now....
similar to the tape over the battery contacts and head scratching when they did not charge in the double charger.....
Thanks, PPS to bring this up. Can other members please confirm that we need to remove this film on the back of the 907x body?

I opened my 907x box yesterday, I have the "lens not detected" issue with 45p "after" I updated the CFV 50c II to firmware 1.30 yesterday. The combo was working before the firmware update. On the other hand, my 135 was not detected "before" the 907x firmware update. I somehow got the 135 connected to 907x after several attempts and updated the firmware of the lens to the latest one. The 135 is detected right now, but the 45p is still not detected. The cause seems to be random, but I like to share my initial observation.

Regards, Steve

Reactions: spb
Thanks, PPS to bring this up. Can other members please confirm that we need to remove this film on the back of the 907x body?

I opened my 907x box yesterday, I have the "lens not detected" issue with 45p "after" I updated the CFV 50c II to firmware 1.30 yesterday. The combo was working before the firmware update. On the other hand, my 135 was not detected "before" the 907x firmware update. I somehow got the 135 connected to 907x after several attempts and updated the firmware of the lens to the latest one. The 135 is detected right now, but the 45p is still not detected. The cause seems to be random, but I like to share my initial observation.

Regards, Steve
I removed the plastic PPS mentioned in the back of the 907x body. My 45p is still not detected. The plastic did not look like to cover any contact points.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I had removed all plastic covers , also the one on the bottom of the 907x . So I can't tell , if the issue did not turn up with the plastic tape attached .
But it is very unlikely , that the tape has a function , other than protecting the metal surface .
Also , I can't find anything in the manual so far .

An update here. This is my first day to use 907x and 135/2.8. Everything was working beautifully until I got an over-exposed (dead white) image after fewer than 20 shots. I took a few more, and soon the 135 lost autofocus. The manual focus was not working either. I removed the battery, but the lens still couldn't focus. I pressed the shutter anyway, I got ERROR 85 and recorded a dead white image. I went home. Removed the lens and re-attached it back to the camera. I heard a mechanical sound that may come from leaf shutter tensioning, and the lens can work now.

It is not a good initial experience for such a beautiful and expensive camera. It should not behave unpredictably if it is meant to be a serious camera.

An update here. This is my first day to use 907x and 135/2.8. Everything was working beautifully until I got an over-exposed (dead white) image after fewer than 20 shots. I took a few more, and soon the 135 lost autofocus. The manual focus was not working either. I removed the battery, but the lens still couldn't focus. I pressed the shutter anyway, I got ERROR 85 and recorded a dead white image. I went home. Removed the lens and re-attached it back to the camera. I heard a mechanical sound that may come from leaf shutter tensioning, and the lens can work now.

It is not a good initial experience for such a beautiful and expensive camera. It should not behave unpredictably if it is meant to be a serious camera.
My firmware:
CFV: V1.3.0
907X: V1.2.7
Lens (135/2.8): V0.5.40
Serial Number (should be the CFVII50C/907X combo?): JQ601014XX

glaiben

An update here. This is my first day to use 907x and 135/2.8. Everything was working beautifully until I got an over-exposed (dead white) image after fewer than 20 shots. I took a few more, and soon the 135 lost autofocus. The manual focus was not working either. I removed the battery, but the lens still couldn't focus. I pressed the shutter anyway, I got ERROR 85 and recorded a dead white image.
I had all the usual issues with No Lens Attached and then had an error 85. Mine was with the 120 Macro and I ended up with a completely black frame. I suspect error 85 has something to do with a stuck shutter (either open or closed). The battery replacement trick worked. I then sent the body & back to Hasselblad USA and they replaced the 907X body. No problems since. BTW, my back s/n was JQ60101XXX. Also, the body has a different serial number - remove the back and look at the rear plane of the body. There appears to be a QR code with a serial number around it. (At 64 years old, I needed a magnifying loupe to read it <g>).

...gregg

JAB

Steve,

A few people have had varying issues with the early released chrome version. I had both the "Lens not detected" and error 85. I am wondering if yours was one of those early ones even though you just opened it. I believe most have sent theirs back to Hasselblad and ultimately the 907x body gets replaced. That is what happened to mine. I know it's very frustrating and disappointing. But, that is why warranties were created. I have found Hasselblad to be very responsive to the issue and helpful in a reasonable time frame. It's unfortunate that some of us got units with issues, but Hasselblad has been good about it. I'd suggest contacting your dealer and/or Hasselblad. As I have mentioned in previous posts, my 907x/50c has been working great ever since I got the replacement 907x.

Jeff

budfox

It's more than a few people. I count 10 reports on this thread alone including then original by Juno Zhang and 2 customers of Hendrix. I count 5 buyers of the silver versions who say they had no problems (and 2 buyers of the Apollo 11 version with no problems).

That means an error rate of 10/15 - 66%.

There may be many happy buyers not posting here of course, but also many who bought the camera as a V-back and don't yet have any XCD lenses to check for the fault.

I refer to my earlier post not to buy this camera.

spb

Staff member
I refer to my earlier post not to buy this camera.
I bought it and by extraordinary luck, I have had no issues and I am excuse the expression 'over the moon' with my Chrome version. I just love the images created. Reading these posts though makes one a just a little bit nervous of whether one can rely on the camera. I definitely would not advise a friend not to buy.

Godfrey

Budfox, your data is skewed.

Reading and talking to people on eight forums who have purchased these cameras, I see 122 standards and 19 special editions. Of those, 13 have reported an issue, all chrome models, and all early adopters. Most of those reporting an issue seem to be on this forum, curiously, and a few of them are the same folks who reported an issue on other forums.

You can't extrapolate any statistically significant numbers from one internet forum alone. :)

G

I bought it and by extraordinary luck, I have had no issues and I am excuse the expression 'over the moon' with my Chrome version. I just love the images created. Reading these posts though makes one a just a little bit nervous of whether one can rely on the camera. I definitely would not advise a friend not to buy.
I had very good and generous services from Leica as many members did. I want to believe that Hasselblad is similar, as others have shared their experiences here.

I used GFX with 2/3 of their lenses before. Good system, but never love it. If colors and micro contracts are the most important factors for my friends, I will still recommend them to buy a Hasselblad.

budfox

I have just been advised by the retail store that the Australian distributor C K Kennedy claim the issue was due to 'a protective coating' on the body's electrical contacts which they have cleaned and they are now returning the camera. Allegedly this has fixed the connection issue.

spb

Staff member
I have just been advised by the retail store that the Australian distributor C K Kennedy claim the issue was due to 'a protective coating' on the body's electrical contacts which they have cleaned and they are now returning the camera. Allegedly this has fixed the connection issue.
Interesting...... 'a protective coating'....