The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HASSELBLAD 907x Major connection issues

jotloob

Subscriber Member

907x + CFV II 50c + 4/45P chrome version .
Occasional I receive absolutely the same issus as describe in the above petapixel link .
I could not have described it better , especially the short videos . Well made . That is , why I use it here for description .

I use the the 907x combo as described above , but I also use the CFV II 50c on HASSELBLAD 500 , 2000 and 905SWC , on ALPA cameras and also ARCASWISS F-LINE Metric 6x9 .
The issue only comes up with the combo , and it does NOT seem to be lens related , but 907x . Slight drag , as seen in the video can eventually produce the issue or make it disappear .

It seem to be a general issue , worldwide . I will inform my dealer on monday .

Who else does receive this issue and can share his/her experience ? ? ?

onasj

The first 907x-50c combo I received (new) had the same problem—frequent loss of connectivity between the 907x and the CFV-II-50c. The dealer (Jeff Hirsch at Fotocare) was outstanding in contacting Hasselblad immediately and setting up a replacement. Hasselblad called me the same day and kindly offered to test and cross-ship a new replacement, which works fine. I suspect there was a bad batch, but fortunately the working copies function beautifully and Hasselblad was responsive in my experience. The (working) product is a real gem, offering some of the best of both worlds, old and new.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The first 907x-50c combo I received (new) had the same problem—frequent loss of connectivity between the 907x and the CFV-II-50c. The dealer (Jeff Hirsch at Fotocare) was outstanding in contacting Hasselblad immediately and setting up a replacement. Hasselblad called me the same day and kindly offered to test and cross-ship a new replacement, which works fine. I suspect there was a bad batch, but fortunately the working copies function beautifully and Hasselblad was responsive in my experience. The (working) product is a real gem, offering some of the best of both worlds, old and new.
Onasj

Do you know , which component was the bad one . I assume 907x .
Did you receive a complete new set 907x + CFV II 50c ? or just the 907x ?

onasj

Onasj

Do you know , which component was the bad one . I assume 907x .
Did you receive a complete new set 907x + CFV II 50c ? or just the 907x ?
I couldn’t rigorously deduce whether the poor connection was on the 907 side or the CFV side. The dealer and Hasselblad replaced the entire box (and of course I shipped the entire first box back).

spb

Staff member
Not good publicity. I hope mine soon arriving will not have similar problems. I also have Lexar cards (never had problems with them either) in a variety of cameras.

tcdeveau

One criticism I definitely have of Hasselblad US is, as they said in the article, Hasselblad requires shipping at the users’ costs - even for things under warranty.

I think it’s ridiculous, especially when in other parts of the world HB sends a carrier to pick up the gear from the user. Shipping with insurance for MF gear isn’t a trivial expense IMHO. Maybe buying from someone other than BH or Hasselblad themselves would result in a different outcome.

Anyway, it’s a policy I think they need to change, and I’m glad it’s got some publicity behind it.

Godfrey

It is one user's issue and experience: I think it's being featured on petapixel and broadcast to the world as a big issue is a bit over much.

There have been no such connection issues with my 907x Special Edition. And what issues and questions I've had have in every case been promptly addressed and taken care of, with follow up even after the resolution was completed and acknowledged "just to be sure everything is all right now," by Hasselblad USA.

In all the years and across all the brands of equipment I've owned in the past 55 years, there are always those moments I've read about with every one of them where something unexpected went awry with new equipment and some particular user or another didn't get what they wanted out of the customer service experience immediately and flew off the handle about it. And then a small chorus of other users chimed in, even if they hadn't yet had any issue and hadn't yet even needed service. It seems to be one of the odd ways that humans communicate their emotional involvement with things they are passionate about. I don't really understand it; I guess I'm from Vulcan. ;)

G

spb

Staff member
It is one user's issue and experience: I think it's being featured on petapixel and broadcast to the world as a big issue is a bit over much.

There have been no such connection issues with my 907x Special Edition. And what issues and questions I've had have in every case been promptly addressed and taken care of, with follow up even after the resolution was completed and acknowledged "just to be sure everything is all right now," by Hasselblad USA.

In all the years and across all the brands of equipment I've owned in the past 55 years, there are always those moments I've read about with every one of them where something unexpected went awry with new equipment and some particular user or another didn't get what they wanted out of the customer service experience immediately and flew off the handle about it. And then a small chorus of other users chimed in, even if they hadn't yet had any issue and hadn't yet even needed service. It seems to be one of the odd ways that humans communicate their emotional involvement with things they are passionate about. I don't really understand it; I guess I'm from Vulcan. ;)

G
I hope that it is as you say "one user's issue and experience". I have only ever had an issue once with a Leica. They solved it within a few days. I needed effectively a new motherboard on an SL at their expense, as it was still under guarantee. Maybe I have been lucky.

JAB

I too have had issues with the 907x/50c/45p. I had posted about it in another thread earlier where the camera would give a message of "No lens detected". I received that several times. Then I started getting 85 "Failed to finish exposure. Please restart". I contacted Hasselblad and upon informing them of the "85" message I was told that there was an issue with the lens. I returned the lens to B&H and as that traveled to B&H, they sent a new one. I have now been using the new 45p for about a 1 1/2 weeks. I have not received the "85" message any longer. BUT, I do get the "No lens detected" message occasionally. It appears to be associated with change in pressure between the 907x and 50c. Especially when attaching a tripod plate. Releasing the back and reattaching solves the issue.

I have been reluctant to express the disappointment with this situation and have been waiting to see if others have issues. I have seen some reports on Facebook of similar issues. My real concern is long term behavior. Does this get worse?

I think two potential issues are being discussed here:
1) Is there a build issue with the chrome version of the 907x/50c?
2) People are unhappy with the Hasselblad return policy requiring the user to pay for return shipping.

I purchased my 907x/50c direct from Hasselblad. I purchased the 45p from B&H. I am going to wait to see what others experience is before moving forward.

Thank you for starting this thread!

spb

Staff member
I think if the item/s are under the guarantee period - they should NEVER be return at your expense. That is what I would be unhappy with especially when buying expensive camera gear.

pegelli

PetaPixel article said:
It’s important to note that this is one user’s experience,
Again, this is one person’s experience
And looking at the thread here there's at least two more........

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

While I agree in spirit that products which encounter manufacturer defects under warranty should be shipped at manufacturer expense to a repair faciity, this is not the norm in our industry. The vast majority of manufacturers have a standard warranty policy of covering the return ship, but not the ship to depot. Of course, exceptions do occur sometimes, we've seen these exceptions with Leica, with Hasselblad, with Phase One, with Arca-Swiss, with others. And above all, in cases where we feel the policy is not fitting the situation, we the dealer of course have the charter to do whatever we feel is right for the client. At times, this involves the concept of act now, ask questions later.

Compared to standard warranty situations, DOA is another matter. Most manufacturers have a DOA policy, and often within this policy, several elements are present:

- There is a relatively short window of time that products experiencing a failure will qualify within. This varies manufacturer to manufacturer. 30 days is common.
- In these cases, product replacement, rather than repair is the norm (and IMO it is correct that replacement is the norm).
- Round trip shipping is typically covered by the manufacturer.

Steve Hendrix/CI

JAB

Thank you Steve. I think I will act sooner than later in contacting Hasselblad further about the issue I'm having. I received mine on August 31st, so I still have time. The Hasselblad policy appears to have a 30 day window.

onasj

Hasselblad offered to send me a shipping label for my return and they did not charge me for the replacement 907-50c. Overall I give them an A for customer service thus far. Having purchased camera gear from Nikon, Sony, Leica, Phase One, Alpa, Rodenstock, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Schneider, Fuji, and probably a few other manufacturers I can’t recall, none of them make 100% defect free products, regardless of the price.

spb

Staff member
I will always return gear to my dealer who are very good. Hopefully I won't need to, but if I do that is the route I will take.

JAB

Hasselblad offered to send me a shipping label for my return and they did not charge me for the replacement 907-50c. Overall I give them an A for customer service thus far. Having purchased camera gear from Nikon, Sony, Leica, Phase One, Alpa, Rodenstock, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Schneider, Fuji, and probably a few other manufacturers I can’t recall, none of them make 100% defect free products, regardless of the price.
Cool, I'll contact Hasselblad Monday. They have been very good with my purchasing and questions.

spb

Staff member
Also with my questions they were always fairly quick and accurate.