The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HASSELBLAD 907x Major connection issues

JAB

Budfox, I'm sorry that this has not gone well. From what I can tell, several people have had similar issues with their chrome 907x/50c. Most have sent their cameras back to Hasselblad and I believe have received new cameras. From the forum here, myself and glaiben have received new 907x bodies while I think some received entirely new 907x/50c systems. Some of us have done enough experiments to indicate that the problem most likely has been the 907x body. I truly believe that the issue is with the early chrome units as suggested by Godfrey. I don't have any word from Hasselblad, but it is also likely that the manufacturing issue has been resolved. Also, the turn around time for mine was about 3 1/2 weeks. Shipping time was significant and the time at Hasselblad was mostly waiting in line to be evaluated. I did continually communicate with my contact at Hasselblad to understand where the camera was in the process. All of this communication was initiated by me, I never waited for them to contact me. I believe you mentioned that you are in Sydney. It may take some time for the camera to get to Hasselblad for evaluation. Mine has been working fine since I got it back. It sounds like others have experienced the same after receiving theirs back. On the other hand, you'll have to do what makes you comfortable.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My strong advice is not to buy this camera. There is clearly a manufacturing defect that HB are not disclosing to potential customers. Mine has been back with the dealer for over 2 weeks - no contact and no information. I will be requesting a refund as soon as I manage to talk to them.

It's pretty outrageous no matter how great their old film cameras were. In my view HB are now dead in the water.
I can't agree . Think of the many product recalls in the world wide car production . Would you recommend not to buy a Mercedes or BMW or any higher class car only because
at the beginning of production an issue turned up ? Which then later is corrected by the service / repair instructions at your local repair shop .

What HASSELBLAD now should have , is a clear and understandable information policy and a fast and trouble-free replacement of the faulty units . That would maintain confidence .
Fiddling around would destroy the confidence in such a wonderful product .

elm

Hearing about the faulty kits made me worry about the one I have on order. That said, I have gone from a 5xx to an H3DII when they first came out. Since that time, I've wished HB would come out with a unit that will let me use my V series again. Now that we have the 907x 50c, even with all the problems and limitations, I look forward to using a camera/back that will let me use ALL of the HB lenses, not to mention other manufactures, modular and give life to our gear from 1957 and onward--an amazing thing!

Yes, the 907x 50c is not weather sealed and without all the other high tech features. Most of us that use these cameras enjoy using our gear, and yes--choose to pay a premium because we like the build, feels good in our hands and make amazing images. The camera is a tool, like all tools--it is not for everyone or for all situations. The focus is what camera (any camera of our choosing) that will let us make amazing images and wonderful memories.

Best wishes to us all, lets have some fun and making the best of our time during this Pandemic!

spb

Staff member
A lot of the features are just not needed anyway. The 907X proves that just like the M10 - less dials and less menu options makes for a simpler operation that I am all for.

Reactions: elm

mristuccia

The only good advice IMHO is not being an early adopter, when possible.
S**t unfortunately happens, especially at the beginning of the lifecycle of a new product.

JAB

The only good advice IMHO is not being an early adopter, when possible.
S**t unfortunately happens, especially at the beginning of the lifecycle of a new product.
Totally!

I have never been an early adopter for that very reason. Be it photo gear, cars,...

BUT, I was overwhelmed with emotion when the chrome 907x/50c was released! I couldn't contain myself!! :love:

So, there was a bump in the road, it's fixed and the camera performs wonderfully!!

Jeff

budfox

Hearing about the faulty kits made me worry about the one I have on order. That said, I have gone from a 5xx to an H3DII when they first came out. Since that time, I've wished HB would come out with a unit that will let me use my V series again. Now that we have the 907x 50c, even with all the problems and limitations, I look forward to using a camera/back that will let me use ALL of the HB lenses, not to mention other manufactures, modular and give life to our gear from 1957 and onward--an amazing thing!

Yes, the 907x 50c is not weather sealed and without all the other high tech features. Most of us that use these cameras enjoy using our gear, and yes--choose to pay a premium because we like the build, feels good in our hands and make amazing images. The camera is a tool, like all tools--it is not for everyone or for all situations. The focus is what camera (any camera of our choosing) that will let us make amazing images and wonderful memories.

Best wishes to us all, lets have some fun and making the best of our time during this Pandemic!
My warning on this is that the functionality of using the back with a film camera is not affected by the known early manufacturing error. You will therefore not be aware of the fault until after you try to use an XCD lens. Hopefully that will be before the warranty expires because HB have chosen not to come clean and announce a recall of defective products - unlike, say BMW or Mercedes (hey even Toyota) would do.

cheers!

elm

Thank you for your insight. I just got my kit today and I did get a 45p, so I will put it through its paces, especially on the XCD lens and then try using the 50c on my 5xx camera and cf lenses.

You all be safe and be well!

Godfrey

My warning on this is that the functionality of using the back with a film camera is not affected by the known early manufacturing error. You will therefore not be aware of the fault until after you try to use an XCD lens. Hopefully that will be before the warranty expires because HB have chosen not to come clean and announce a recall of defective products - unlike, say BMW or Mercedes (hey even Toyota) would do.
Since the problem does not seem to affect all units, rather a relatively small percentage of 907x units, and it seems more and more likely only from the initial production run, it would be senseless to put out a blanket recall saying that everyone should send in their 907x for warranty service. It would cost Hasselblad a fortune and is completely unwarranted by the number of actual units affected. What they are doing seems just right: when someone has a problem, contact Hasselblad Customer Support and they'll fix the problem after evaluating exactly what the problem is.

With automotive manufacturers, the concerns are quite different. They do more blanket recalls because life threatening operational safety is at issue, which happens frequently. You would NEVER want to see even 3% of intermittent brake system failure in any automaker's warranty repair records because that could mean thousands of actually dead people. The worst that can happen if you have an issue with a camera is that the user is inconvenienced for a couple of weeks, or maybe at most a particular job is scuttled. These are not a big enough deal to require draconian measures and public announcements of a problem solving round.

If you can prove that, say, 25% of all 907x standard edition units actually do have a problem, I'd agree that a blanket warranty recall might be appropriate. But it seems more like 3% of the first production run have an issue if my reading every forum and mention of the 907x standard edition hunting for issues like this is any indication. And just because my or your camera has an issue doesn't mean a darn thing ... I don't participate in that level of entitlement simply because I paid a lot of money for a high-end camera. ;)

G

Last edited:

PSS

I doubt that this is even a 3% issue....It totally and completely sucks to spend that much only to have to send it back for exchange....but in the end that is what warranty is for...I have had mine for a while now, put over 1000 shots on it just today.....no problems....
i read a very loud complaint seemingly from the same person on 2 different forums and it seems it wasn’t even the body but an adapter.....some things get amplified not in the most productive way...
this is not meant to minimize the frustration or very real issues some people are having but I am not sure the numbers are there to warrant anything close to a recall or anything like it.....companies should be held accountable but they also should have a chance to correct the kind of mistakes that simply happen....
I personally went back to check the manual to see if the protective film is mentioned...it is not....the tape on the battery is....and i missed it although i knew about if from the X1DII......

spb

Staff member
Thank you for your insight. I just got my kit today and I did get a 45p, so I will put it through its paces, especially on the XCD lens and then try using the 50c on my 5xx camera and cf lenses.

You all be safe and be well!
Great enjoy the kit! Let me know what you think of the 45/4P.

Reactions: elm

budfox

I think buyers of this very expensive camera are entitled to expect it to actually work.

I don’t expect HB to recall all first production run cameras, but there is clearly a specific connectivity problem with a certain number of them. In my view HB should come clean and let purchasers of that batch know that they might be susceptible to this problem, and return to HB if it occurs.

I am also entitled to an opinion without being subject to derogatory remarks.

spb

Staff member
Well exactly Bud it is still a free world. I actually agree with you that a manufacturer at the very least should have to be more upfront about issues such as what you describe. I thank you for your warning too, not that I am likely to be using anything other than XCD lenses with my 907X.

Godfrey

I think Hasselblad is being quite upfront about it: If you have a problem, report it, they test the camera, and they fix the problems they find. That's the point of a warranty.

They cannot know precisely what particular unit a dealer sells a customer until after the sale is done and the warranty is registered, or whether it has a problem or not... Why undermine confidence of new buyers by saying, "Oh, yes, that'll be $6000 and you might have a problem with the camera...?" That makes no sense to me.

How would you propose they be "more upfront" about the issue? Just exactly what do you expect Hasselblad and the dealers to do?

G

spb

Staff member
Depends entirely on how many units are reported as faulty. I do think that shipping back to repair under warranty should be at the cost of the manufacturer in every case, once a dealer has ascertained that there is a problem NOT caused by user misuse.

I do agree with this: If you have a problem, report it, they test the camera, and they fix the problems they find. That's the point of a warranty.

Steve Hendrix

At this point in time, I feel that the conncetion issues were restricted to the very initial shipments. Our first 2 units that were delivered had the issue. Since then, this issue has not re-appeared in any delivered units to our clients.

It is likely that Hasselblad knows what was causing the issue, and was able to identify it, and thus replace the units with working units they knew for sure did not have the issue. This implies that they can check any future unit shipments for the issue before shipping. So for now, I am considering that the connectivity issue which had previously been encountered by some to be no longer an issue. Time could prove me wrong, but I don't think so.

Steve Hendrix/CI

spb

Staff member
This all sounds good to me Steve, fingers crossed that issue is behind us. I have been lucky to have no issues but I am still to receive the 45/4P lens.

Godfrey

Sounds good, Steve.

I’m all for HB picking up the shipping tab, but since my dealer is 2500 miles away, it could only be after they evaluate the problem. It’s on me to get it to them for that evaluation.. afterwards, I’m happy if they reimburse my expenses.
G

anyone

I wouldn't be so forgiving for the mistakes. Okay, sh** happens, but if it does I would expect that everything would be done to get it fixed, at no expense for the customer. I mean, this is a multiple thousand euros item (despite all my sympathy for the company as a long term user).

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

Steve Hendrix

I wouldn't be so forgiving for the mistakes. Okay, sh** happens, but if it does I would expect that everything would be done to get it fixed, at no expense for the customer. I mean, this is a multiple thousand euros item (despite all my sympathy for the company as a long term user).

So far, this is exactly as Hasselblad has handled the matter.

Steve Hendrix/CI