The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

wattsy

The IBIS would be in the CFV unit. Wouldn't it be nice to use CFV with IBIS handheld mounted on a 503?
I think it would certainly be nice to have when using longer lenses handheld. Would IBIS do anything for the mirror slap you might get when using the back with the 503 handheld?

P1505C

I’ve given up on my dream of using a digital back on the 500. Every review I read or watch says - don’t bother, doesn’t work.

So instead I’m upgrading my film scanning set up.

TechTalk

I’ve given up on my dream of using a digital back on the 500. Every review I read or watch says - don’t bother, doesn’t work.

There are a number of members here who have enjoyed using the CFV II 50C on V System Hasselblad cameras, as well as in other configurations, with satisfying results. That doesn't mean it's right for you. Only you can decide what works best for you and whether you want to try one before deciding.

anyone

Well, I use a digital back on my 500C/M since the very first 16mp backs until now with the P65+ and it does work. It requires you to be precise and your camera body must be in spec.

Nothing wrong with upgrading the film scanning setup though :)

Ai_Print

If it did not work, no one would have bothered continuing to make them.
I have made some truly amazing images with my 501CM's and Hasselblad CFV digital backs requiring only a bit more effort than with film in most cases.

P1505C

If it did not work, no one would have bothered continuing to make them.
I have made some truly amazing images with my 501CM's and Hasselblad CFV digital backs requiring only a bit more effort than with film in most cases.
When people speak to critical focus issues, have you found this? And with me not shooting portraits (industrial landscape plus documentary) normally at f8 do you think I’d have an issue? I never shoot wide open, so my thinking was depth of field would cover it. I can’t find a back near me to test, so it’s a gamble.

I was specifically looking at a back on the 500CM as I enjoy the wait level finder, the sound, the slow nature of it.

hasselblad 503cw

Focusing is not problem even with lens fully opened if you have calibrated system( body,mirror,lens,screen,magnifier,film back or digital back) with proper capture process( tripod, mirror up) and of course good eyesight. Any one of above factors will impact result.

you can get digital back using live view to check whether your system has issue or not. Or suggest send camera with lens screen back for qualified service.

hasselblad system has been using decades. Lots of people get perfect result.

Last edited:

P1505C

This is the thing - I don’t use tripods and want to use the waist level finder. It’s why I have the camera.

hasselblad 503cw

This is the thing - I don’t use tripods and want to use the waist level finder. It’s why I have the camera.
Anyway suggest check your system first to eliminate system fault. if you can get sharp focus using tripod follow proper process, then it is the way your capture method matter, try to find the way suit for you to improve performance. otherwise service gear I am afraid.

suggest using winder if use with 503CW, I found it will hold camera much more sturdy and using mirror up if possible with minimum shutter speed 1/250 or 1/500 vary with kinds of focal lens. anyway I can get sharp image sometimes using 1/60 to 1/125, but that is not look always so lucky.

another thing is try using screen 42215 or 42217 ( 42215 - Acute Matte D - prism, split or 42217 - Acute Matte D - prism, split, grid ), if using with CFV 50C II , There are a good screen come with the back. I always turn screen 90 degree keep vertical installation rather than default horizontal installation, as my experience I like the split line vertical to focus the target eye if for portrait photography. it is easy to get focus point. If using screen come with CFV 50C II, I have no experience.

it is best to using 45 degree prism with correct diopter if you wear glasses for handheld photography combine with CW winder if using 503CW OR 503CXI, which is sturdy even though concern about the weight.

Below pics captured ISO 100 1/60 CFE 40 IF@F8 Phaseone P65+ handheld By 503CW CW winder mirror up then release press shutter, no sharper

Sorry for post phase back pics here, just want to demonstrate handheld somehow still can get sharp pics. thanks
14-02-024559.jpg
14-02-024866.jpg
Edit again with switch off calibrate CA in C1

100% central, you can see strange purple CA, the reason is C1 produced when apply calibrate CA

14-02-024560.jpg

below 100% sample can not notice any purple CA, switch off calibrate CA in C1
14-02-024865.jpg

Below pics captured ISO 50 1/125 CFE 40MM IF @F8 Phaseone P65+ handheld By 503CW CW winder mirror up then release press shutter, no sharper

14-02-024558.jpg

14-02-024561.jpg

Below pics captured ISO 100 1/125 CF 250MM SA @F5.6 Phaseone P65+ handheld By 503CW CW winder mirror up then release press shutter, no sharper

13-05-014562.jpg

13-05-014563.jpg

it is comprise with portable and sharp image. Can get both sometimes.
as you see, the highest iso I chose is iso 100, due to p65+ is not good at high iso compare with CFV II 50C which can easily go up to ISO 1600 still get good acceptable image.
For P65+ the highest iso I would to use is iso400 which is the maximum I can accept. Forget about the plus+ function for 2 stop increase ISO, I found totally unusable, too grainy.

So you have much more chances than me to get good pics when handheld in theory.
otherwise there are another IBIS medium format system such as X2D or Fuji GFX which can choose if you still can not get good result I hope.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: B L

Ai_Print

When people speak to critical focus issues, have you found this? And with me not shooting portraits (industrial landscape plus documentary) normally at f8 do you think I’d have an issue? I never shoot wide open, so my thinking was depth of field would cover it. I can’t find a back near me to test, so it’s a gamble.

I was specifically looking at a back on the 500CM as I enjoy the wait level finder, the sound, the slow nature of it.
As mentioned elsewhere, a good CLA on the camera you intend to use with the screen you intend to take a sharpie to in order to have the crop lines ought to take care of that. You don’t mention what lens you will mostly want to use with it so I can only assume it will be an 80mm and at least you can check focus using bulb mode and live view to see that where it is focusing corresponds to what your viewfinder says.

Be aware that if you are set on using a W/L finder then you might be locked into just shooting horizontal. I was ok with that until I was not and then bought a PMe-90 finder that allowed me to use the camera in vertical mode much more easily.

Also, if you are in the U.S., then you most certainly can try out the camera: