The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

leejo

I can set the Aperture on copal 0 lens by hand as I can do with a XCD or I did on a Leica M lens.
The camera tells me the time I will need - right?
I will have to do some testing later on, but my initial shots with the CFV II 50c on my 4x5 camera with copal lenses is that the back will *not* do any metering for you either using the electronic shutter or using a sync cable to use the copal shutter.

tcdeveau

I will have to do some testing later on, but my initial shots with the CFV II 50c on my 4x5 camera with copal lenses is that the back will *not* do any metering for you either using the electronic shutter or using a sync cable to use the copal shutter.
I had a 907x/CFVII briefly that I used with a tech cam.

I used the ES with my copal lenses 0 because I didn’t want to deal with extra cabling.

I don’t recall the back did any metering, but I generally use manual anyway.

workflow I used was basically:
1) set aperture (I’m a landscape/cityscape guy and pretty much just waiver between f8/f11);
2) open lens shutter;
3) go into live view;
4) compose;
5) focus;
6) meter (I used an iPhone app called lux);
7) set shutter speed;
8) fire.

Worked well for me with ES, and less steps than with the copal (don’t have to cock shutter or close shutter before firing like with the copal) but YMMV. I think my only complaint was live view timed out pretty fast....that was 6 months ago though and it might be different now via firmware updates

Last edited:

usm

The CFVii50c does metering when working with E-shutter and manual lenses like Leica M.

Does the CFVii50c metering when synced with a cable to a copal 0 lens?

leejo

The CFVii50c does metering when working with E-shutter and manual lenses like Leica M.
I believe that's because of the 907x being a part of the process.

I'll test later on, but I don't see how it could - with the E-shutter it at least knows the shutter speed. With a copal + sync cable it doesn't know the aperture *or* shutter speed so it's not possible for it to give you a meter reading unless you input one of the two values (which isn't possible I believe if not the E-shutter?).

Godfrey

The answer is simple: No. When used with a lens shutter, whether in a Hasselblad 500 or with a technical camera via a synchronization cable, metering is always manual.

When the 907x/CFVII 50c (and when the CFVII 50c configured as a back on a Hasselblad 500CM) is used in live view mode with the electronic shutter, metering can be set to manual or automatic/aperture priority modes. The same is true if you use it in electronic shutter mode on a tech camera with the lens shutter locked open.

G

usm

Wow! This is a little bit frustrating. Just changed to MF and now I am loosing the simply workflow of my Leica gear completely.

So the solution is just using e-shutter and if there are some e-shutter issues changing to copal 0.

THanks!

Vilpo

Is it possible to use iPad tethering when using CFV II 50C with technical camera? Composing and checking focus from bigger screen ?

FloatingLens

I think the misunderstanding is that with a tech camera you‘re not using the 907x part, but just the CFV II 50c. What you‘re left with is a manual digital back with live view, which means no aperture prio mode or metering for that matter.

diggles

usm

I have to think about the consequences for me.

I am looking for a +- 35mm (28mm FF) around 15mm rise and fall solution with the 907x50c.

Thinking about HTS or V-lens shift?!

Cambo

As FloatingLens mentioned, you can leave out the 907x. The CFV back can be used directly at a tech or view camera. If you own V-lenses, this may offer you the amount of rise and fall you're looking for.WRC-400_CFV50_001s.jpg

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As FloatingLens mentioned, you can leave out the 907x. The CFV back can be used directly at a tech or view camera. If you own V-lenses, this may offer you the amount of rise and fall you're looking for.View attachment 180773
As far as I understand the CFV II 50c technique , you will have to use the electronic shutter for your shown camera set up .
So why would you then need a sync cable ?

anyone

As far as I understand the CFV II 50c technique , you will have to use the electronic shutter for your shown camera set up .
So why would you then need a sync cable ?
There are adapters that allow to use the leaf shutter of the lens on Cambo. Alternatively you can of course also use the Hasselblad Flexbody.

Cambo

Exactly. The adapter in this set up uses the Hasselblad lens' leaf shutter. So synchronising to the back is required.

Godfrey

Wow! This is a little bit frustrating. Just changed to MF and now I am loosing the simply workflow of my Leica gear completely.

So the solution is just using e-shutter and if there are some e-shutter issues changing to copal 0.
Moving to a medium format, modular system, technical camera implies a completely different shooting workflow compared to an integrated Leica camera system. I thought that would be pretty obvious. ??

Using only the CFVII 50c eshutter has its limitations due to the 300ms readout speed: for best results, both the camera and the subject must be absolutely still (a sturdy tripod and no wind on landscape shots). Here's an example demonstrating the effects when a car moving about 35mph intrudes into a still landscape shot:

To get the results you want, you will want to learn how to meter and use a setup configured to use the lens shutter. It's not that difficult. :D

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As FloatingLens mentioned, you can leave out the 907x. The CFV back can be used directly at a tech or view camera. If you own V-lenses, this may offer you the amount of rise and fall you're looking for.View attachment 180773
Looking at the cambo homepages , I find that this adapter looks very stable and well made . I wonder , if that adapter could be made for use on other technical cameras . For example for ALPA .

edouard

Exactly. The adapter in this set up uses the Hasselblad lens' leaf shutter. So synchronising to the back is required.
!? so you don't use the CFV-50c II electronic shutter? it's like using the back with 907x+"native" XCD lens? (or you have to use it, set it to a value slower than lens shutter and let the cambo start the leaf-shutter at the right time!?)

(btw then why couldn't hasselblad provide an adapter that fully uses V lenses including their shutter, like they did on the H system with CF adapter, if even another brand could)

and obviously live view is possible?
and how do you re-cock the lens shutter?
... OK I see it in this page it's on "WRS-HVSA" adapter itself

I see on this Cambo page :

As the shutter inside the lens can be activated and released, this adapter can be used with virtually any digital back that can be synced by means of the flash contact. This includes Hasselblad's new CFV II 50C model.

But I still don't fully understand ... (except that I probably need that! ;))

And how expensive is this beautiful "toy"?
(I mean WRC-400 + WRS-HVSA + SLW-80 + WRC-H61(grip) => WRC-HVSA kit)
... OK 3500$ (in this digitalback.com page )

And how one would get that in Switzerland?

Last edited: