The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFVII 50c back on SWC body ... who's tried it on an older SWC?

Godfrey

I seem to recall a conversation here about this use of the CFVII 50c for the SWC, but cannot find it.

A friend has a 1966 SWC with SWC/M upgrades to film crank and tripod mounting foot. I know the Hasselblad CFVII 50c manual lists compatibility back to the SWC/M, and think I recall there was some specific issue in that fitment that someone here tried to workaround... but can't remember the specifics. What was that?

Thanks!
G

elm

Godfrey,

Hope you are well!

In the Hasselblad Manual for the 50C II, on Page 7, it states bodies from 1957 onward would work, however on page 54, it states "Older versions of the SWC cameras cannot be used ". A bit confusing!

I wish I still have my 903SWC to use with my 50c II! Oh well! Hope you will be able to use yours on a SWC!

Best wishes, and be safe and be well!

jng

I have a 1961 SWC that wouldn't take my Phase One IQ 160 because of additional thickness of one of the ridges that serves as a light baffle (basically a square around the back of the camera body), that prevented the back from seating on the body. Later models did not include this extra bit and work fine; I don't know exactly when the spec changed but the SWC/M models are definitely safe. I haven't used or seen the Hasselblad backs but this might be the reason for any incompatibilities other than issues with the Biogon's symmetric lens design not playing well with the digital sensors and their cover glasses.

John

vjbelle

I had a 903SWC that I used with my P45 and even at that miniscule pixel level it did not meet my expectations. There was some skew with my particular lens which was very regetable.

Victor B.

anyone

I use my SWC/M with the IQ160. Center quality is excellent, corner good. In general I am very pleased with this compact 60mp system!

Godfrey

Godfrey,

Hope you are well!

In the Hasselblad Manual for the 50C II, on Page 7, it states bodies from 1957 onward would work, however on page 54, it states "Older versions of the SWC cameras cannot be used ". A bit confusing!

I wish I still have my 903SWC to use with my 50c II! Oh well! Hope you will be able to use yours on a SWC!

Best wishes, and be safe and be well!
Thank you for the good wishes! I'm well, life is good. :D

I sold my '78 SWC to help fund the 907x Special Edition package; do wish I still had the 903SWC that I'd had before it anyway although the 907x + XCD21 nets an "all digital SWC" when cropped square.

A friend, however, has a '66 SWC that has been updated to SWC/M spec with respect to the mounting foot and the ratcheting wind lever. He's considering the purchase of a 907x/CFVII 50c so wondering whether his SWC will be compatible with the CFVII 50c back. I know there's a difference from the earliest Hassy Super Wide Angle back mounting flange, although his camera seems to have the same back mounting flange (without the additional thicker ridge that jng mentioned above) as his 500C and 500C/M bodies, but I thought that there was another element of the body's back interface that made the CFVII 50c incompatible.

I've had my 907x back from Hasselblad for a couple of weeks, but I've been so busy and so distracted with other endeavors I haven't had it out for any shooting since. Time to amend that issue... :D

G

fmueller

I've used the CVFII 50C back on an SWC/M and it worked great, I've since replaced the SWC/M I with a newer 903 SWC.

Just keep in mind that with a CVFII 50C, your Superwide becomes a Slightlywide...;) but they work great together. Put the back on, tell (set) the back it's attached to a Hassy superwide and start shooting and cranking, no sync cable required.

I don't find any particular reason though to shoot the 903 with a digital back, shooting with the 907/CVFII 50C, xcd 21 cropped square, yields a faultless file that is even just a bit wider than a 38 Biogon on a 56x56 piece of film. Unless you really want a 38mm focal length for your CVFII 50C, the xcd30 and 45 are just as good or even better. The 903SWC is used for film

Godfrey

Just keep in mind that with a CVFII 50C, your Superwide becomes a Slightlywide...
I don't find any particular reason though to shoot the 903 with a digital back... The 903SWC is used for film
Yes, and yes. This is why I felt it reasonable to sell my SWC to help fund the 907x/21mm. There's little point, given the crop factor, to use the back on a SWC vs using the 45mm or 30mm on the 907x, and I wanted the SWC FoV on digital. The 50mm lens is wide enough for most of my desires on 6x6. :)

G