The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Phocus and MacOS 11 Big Sur

glaiben

I have yet to upgrade my dedicated photo iMac to MacOS 11 Big Sur. It's worked fine on my regular iMac used for everything else. Has anyone experienced any Hasselblad Phocus (or Photshop/Lightroom) problems after upgrading the OS?

Thanks...gregg

fjablo

So far no problems at all with Phocus 3.5.4 and C1 20. And that's on my new MBP with Apple's M1 ARM chip. Really impressive because both programs are X86 and run via Rosetta 2 translation layer. I assume Intel-based Macs running Big Sur will be just as stable.

But if you have critical work on that iMac I would still wait a couple of weeks, just to be sure.

So far no problems at all with Phocus 3.5.4 and C1 20. And that's on my new MBP with Apple's M1 ARM chip. Really impressive because both programs are X86 and run via Rosetta 2 translation layer.
Does the new MBP with M1 ARM chip run much faster than with the old MBP with Intel chips if you use Phocus 3.5.4 and C1 20?

fjablo

Well I can't compare to a very recent MBP - my old one was a late 2013 model with 2x2.4ghz Intel processor. The comparison to the new one is night & day.

I actually do most of my editing on a desktop PC that is also a couple of years old now: Intel i7 4770s (4x3.1ghz), 16gb RAM, SSD. The new MBP feels way faster than this machine as well.. I'll probably upgrade the desktop to a new AMD 12 core early next year (hard to get your hands on these processors at the moment).

My guess is that if you have a relatively recent machine from last 2 years or so, with at least a quadcore Intel, then the jump won't feel as dramatic. But it will be really interesting to see though what Apple can do with its chips when they put it in an iMac and the thermal envelope it allows. They will probably challenge even those new AMD processors...

edouard

Phocus 3.5.4 is working fine on my macpro 2013 with Big Sur (macos 11.0.1)
(CR & PS also, although I see a display bug during cropping)

For the new apple-silicon macs, I hope that Hasselblad has the resources to make an M1 specific version (it's cool if the regular x86 version work via the rosetta "emulation" layer, but 'would be much snappier if native!)

KlausJH

Capture One 20 and Phocus 3.5.4 work well on my MacBook Pro 2016 and iMac 5k 2019 with Big Sur.
C1 works also with Apple ProRAW (wich is a DNG) but not with HEIC.
Phocus can handle HEIC but does not open ProRAW .

buildbot

The M1 chip is already almost as performant as the newer desktop AMD chips, with like 1/3rd to 1/4 the power usage. It’s a ridiculously amazing CPU architecture, I can’t wait until capture one has a native version, it’ll probably just fly.

Anyone tried the iPhone version of phocus on a m1 Mac?

spb

Staff member
The only thing not working after updating to Big Sur on a MacPro 2013 are CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper. Phocus thank heaven and all my other apps are working just fine.

fjablo

The M1 chip is already almost as performant as the newer desktop AMD chips, with like 1/3rd to 1/4 the power usage. It’s a ridiculously amazing CPU architecture, I can’t wait until capture one has a native version, it’ll probably just fly.

Anyone tried the iPhone version of phocus on a m1 Mac?
Phocus Mobile 2 works, but you can't really resize its window to fullscreen. I don't see much use for it since Phocus works well..

Unfortunately I think Phase One will only update C1 21 for ARM, not C1 20. One more argument to push people towards the subscription...

So far no problems at all with Phocus 3.5.4 and C1 20. And that's on my new MBP with Apple's M1 ARM chip. Really impressive because both programs are X86 and run via Rosetta 2 translation layer. I assume Intel-based Macs running Big Sur will be just as stable.

But if you have critical work on that iMac I would still wait a couple of weeks, just to be sure.
i'm thinking of getting myself a MacBook Air M1 soon
but a bit worry if the Phocus Software and Phocus Lightroom Plug-in (for LR tethering) can be use on the MacBook Air M1

PSS

I got a M1 air and so far LR, PS, Phocus, all work perfectly, faster then any other Mac I have ever had, I would put performance on par with a maxed out 2019 mbp, maybe better....and none of the software is optimized for it yet....crazy....

I am not aware that there is a Phocus LR plug in for tethering? is that for H or X? I could not find any info on a plug in?
Phocus tether works with X system, LR watched folder is slow....

I got a M1 air and so far LR, PS, Phocus, all work perfectly, faster then any other Mac I have ever had, I would put performance on par with a maxed out 2019 mbp, maybe better....and none of the software is optimized for it yet....crazy....

I am not aware that there is a Phocus LR plug in for tethering? is that for H or X? I could not find any info on a plug in?
I use hasselblad h3d39 with hasselblad plug-in to Lightroom and can tether my hasselblad in Lightroom...

fjablo

I think it’s
hasselblad tether plugin 1.4 for mac
How do you connect the H3D to modern Macs with only USB-C/TB3? Are there direct adapters for FW800 to USB-C or are you using a combination?
Since I also have a H3Dii, I could theoretically test tethering with Phocus on the M1 MBP. But I don't have the relevant cables & adapters at hand...

i connect H3d39 using firewire800 cable to my imac (late 2011) i believe it's the last model that still have firewire800 port.... no issue at all tethering with both to Phocus software or
Lightroom (hasselblad tether plugin 1.4 for mac)
i've tried to use H3d39 using firewire800 cable + firewire800 to Thunderbolt adapter to the later macbook (non Thunderbolt) it failed to detect the camera,
i found out later that the port does not supply enough power to run hasselblad
i've tried to use H3d39 using firewire800 cable + firewire800 to Thunderbolt2 adapter + Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt3 adapter to the later macbook (thunderbolt3) no issue TB3 supply enough power (got the idea from this link >>
)
that's why i'm going to go for the MacBook Air M1, but just wondering if the Rosetta Translation on the M1 could translate the plug-in on Lightroom (hasselblad tether plugin 1.4 for mac) and even the Phocus Software
i sena a message to Hasselblad and here's the answer "Yes, Phocus runs on the latest MacBook. Kind regards, The Hasselblad Team"

Are use Plug-in Manager it’s lightroom To add “hasselblad tether plugin 1.4 for mac” And it tether hasselblad h3d39 With no issue
I believe it’s OK with the x system too

citizin

If you're thinking about upgrading out the iMac I'd suggest not to. I have two older macbook pros with fw800 that I keep around for the sole purpose of tethering.

1. 2013 13" i5 with macOS downgraded to OSX 10.10.5 with Phocus 3.1.5 (latest version supported by 10.10.5.) It's the very portable fits in a <20L bag with camera and lens kit plus 13" iPad Pro.

2. 2011 15" i7/dGPU with Windows 10 + Phocus 3.5.5 for in studio tethering.

Both are beasts when tethering.

OSX/MacOS 10.11+ had major issues with lagging and complete inability to keep up with the Camera's. I took some time to troubleshoot and figure out the best combo for everything. It's great having some dedicated systems for these cameras.

PSS

the plug in was for H only and is not available and or supported anymore....as long as you stay with an existing older system/machine you should be fine....just don't update...anything...ever:)