The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad: Phocus Or Lightroom

PSS

I guess it is not about the software. It is about the profiles. Who has the better sensor and lens profiles for Hasselblad systems, Adobe or Hasselblad ?
afaik Hasselblad has worked with adobe and the profiles are shared, there is not much info on the subject, other then Hasselblad has said they HAVE shared the profiles, but in the same breath Hasselblad maintains that they still have some secret sauce....I am not sure, it is so close and there is also personal preference.....
I wish there was a tether LR plug in for X system (I just found out about old/no longer supported plug in for H system)

PSS

Is there a spot to get or a way to make a Hasselblad "Camera Profile" for Lightroom?
it is built in, comes with LRC, the camera standard profile is the one...according to Hasselblad they worked with Adobe on this...
LR desktop has it as well, for whatever reason it does not get synced to the cloud, so LR mobile does not have this profile, must be some kind of bug because virtually any other profile can be synced

PSS

hmmm.....had some time to revisit a few files in Phocus.....definitely worth considering...colors are beautiful.....will work more with it...
still like LRC, will make some prints to compare as well.....

davidrm

Phocus is awful at highlight recovery, it turns sky cyan. Lightroom is much better. Also Phocus gradient tool is primitive, almost impossible to fine tune. But to my eyes Phocus gives better colour (X1D) and colour is the reason I bought this expensive camera. I also significantly prefer CaptureOne over Lightroom. So for me personally this is a big dilemma. I’d like to get away from Lightroom completely, but for some photos Phocus just can’t deliver. It’s so frustrating that I’m seriously considering selling my Hasselblad gear and (maybe) switching to Fuji.

davidrm

Phocus is awful at highlight recovery, it turns sky cyan. Lightroom is much better. Also Phocus gradient tool is primitive, almost impossible to fine tune. But to my eyes Phocus gives better colour (X1D) and colour is the reason I bought this expensive camera. I also significantly prefer CaptureOne over Lightroom. So for me personally this is a big dilemma. I’d like to get away from Lightroom completely, but for some photos Phocus just can’t deliver. It’s so frustrating that I’m seriously considering selling my Hasselblad gear and (maybe) switching to Fuji. Oh, but... Hasselblad colour.

Godfrey

Is there a spot to get or a way to make a Hasselblad "Camera Profile" for Lightroom?
You can always make your own camera profiles for use in LR or Camera Raw using the Adobe DNG Profile Editor or Xrite Color Checker Passport kit. I've done both occasionally, for specific niche requirements. But usually I just use what LR Classic provides for my cameras as it does well enough in the vast majority of cases.

G

SrMphoto

Phocus is awful at highlight recovery, it turns sky cyan. Lightroom is much better. Also Phocus gradient tool is primitive, almost impossible to fine tune. But to my eyes Phocus gives better colour (X1D) and colour is the reason I bought this expensive camera. I also significantly prefer CaptureOne over Lightroom. So for me personally this is a big dilemma. I’d like to get away from Lightroom completely, but for some photos Phocus just can’t deliver. It’s so frustrating that I’m seriously considering selling my Hasselblad gear and (maybe) switching to Fuji. Oh, but... Hasselblad colour.
AFAIK:
When the sky turns cyan in highlight recovery it is typically caused by blown highlights. When one channel is blown, Adobe is guessing the destroyed channel by using the other channels that are not blown. Adobe is doing a pretty good job. An even better solution is to expose without blowing highlights.

davidrm

"An even better solution is to expose without blowing highlights."

or just shoot JPEG....

I didn't spend 7+K to not maximise dynamic range.

Godfrey

It's better to bring up the black point and shadows than to recover blown highlights, in my opinion.
Regardless, proper exposure, no matter how much dynamic range you're trying to maximize, always gives the best results.

G

SrMphoto

"An even better solution is to expose without blowing highlights."

or just shoot JPEG....

I didn't spend 7+K to not maximise dynamic range.
I am not following.
You do not maximize dynamic range by blowing highlights. Any image with blown relevant highlights has not been exposed correctly.
P.S.: simplified, the dynamic range is measured from non-blown highlights to a certain amount of noise in shadows.