The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad, we have a (service) problem...

OleBe

Dear all,

I am really sad, but I wanted to share my unfortunate Hasselblad service history with you. Trying to keep it as emotionless as possible.

Over the years I have bought a lot of equipment from Hasselblad, all started with the 4116 X1D special edition field kit. Over the X1D II and latest purchase was the 907x. Overall including the lenses (30mm, 45mm, 80mm, 90mm and 135mm + converter) quite an extensive set with a very high value.

Early equipment, basically all in the field kit was absolutely perfect, no issues whatsoever. The unfortunate part startet with the acquisition of the X1D II. Had to refuse two cameras (fresh opened boxes, factory sealed) from my dealer because the were shipped damaged already. One had a big dent in the bottom part of the chassis, the second one a scratch in the plastic part of the eyepiece. My third one, which I have finally accepted, had a big dust spec in the viewfinder, which fortunately could not be seen when using the camera.

My 80mm lens was the second big issue. First one was rattling when tilting while being powered on and the tube with the front lens was moving as well while doing so. That lens got replaced by Hasselblad with one unit which was damaged as well in the factory, big dent in to like it made contact with a hard edge. Next exchange gave me a lens with a little piece of the outer black coating in the middle of the lens groups. I accepted it, because it did not appear on my pictures.

Maybe I should have known better by now, but ultimately I have swapped the X1D II out of an emotion driven decision into a 907x. What a beautiful camera. However back at home unpacking that camera I noticed that it had a dent in the glass, looking a little like stone / particle was damaging the LCD in transport. Why does such an expensive camera is shipped without any protection to its LCD? Obviously we asked Hasselblad again for DOA, which they confirmed. The story does not end here. Next unit had five dead pixels, quick confirmation with support told me, it has to be shipped to factory, because (unlike nearly all other manufacturers do) Hasselblad cannot fix dead pixels in camera firmware.

Unit was send in, but instead of a software solution they have exchanged the main board and the sensor. And to round things up. they have damaged the camera. Both screws have been unscrewed without backing of the LCD, leaving the paint scratched off at both sides, and near the sensor was a sticky, glue like substance. Which I think is caulk for the IR filter to keep it tight.

Overall the camera was on its way for about eight weeks, by the way I have sent in the 80mm as well to get the spec out of the lens, because I thought without camera I do not need it anyway. Nobody told us about its status until today.

End of the story, we (my dealer and I) have sent the camera back to Sweden about two weeks ago and asked Hasselblad local managers to inform the HQ management that first of all they need to find a solution for this mess, and secondly to give something back to their customer in order to calm the mood down a little.

We have not heard anything from HQ until today, and not from the local managers. Something like sorry we will do our best to get this solved and what can we do to make you happy, would have been sufficient.
Ultimately I pulled the emergency brake today and decided to let go all of my Hasselblad equipment, because I do not wish to be invested any longer into a company with such a "service" behavior.

Am more than disappointed and really sad to see this behavior of a "world leading" camera manufacturer of which I enjoyed using their products for a lot of years.

Pictures as proof are attached.

However, I am crossing fingers most of you have a better service experience and continue to use their equipment with great pleasure. :)

Kind regards

Ole

IMG_0355.jpegIMG_2550.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2652.jpg

Paul Spinnler

Well it is owned by a Chinese company now isn't it, so maybe they optimized a bit the cost structures and proceses since acquiring it in 2017

OleBe

Whole story took place in Hamburg, Germany. So actually very close to Sweden. Which should usually make turn around times quite fast.

My dealer was extremely helpful and is shocked as well. They did everything to support me with these service cases and did more than a little extra work to keep me as a customer and make me happy again. Although now with an other camera manufacturer. (PN me in case you still need the name)

dj may

Is your conclusion based entirely on your preconceptions about race, or did you undertake any analysis?
Maybe it is experience. I have had a disproportionate share of problems with companies based in mainland China. Right now I am having a problem with a company that I thought was Switzerland based; Swiss website, German language, prices in Swiss francs (name-brand running shoes). I placed my order, credit card was charged and no delivery. It was only after a great deal of investigating I learned it was a China-based business posing as Swiss. This is possible for an online business.

On the other hand I have never had a problem with Taiwan-based businesses. I used to buy computer parts from Taiwan when I built computers.

tcdeveau

Sorry for your issues OP and best of luck with your new system. I know that's gotta be a bummer to be emotionally tied to a system that's hampered by a string of negative QC experiences.

Reactions: spb

Paul Spinnler

Is your conclusion based entirely on your preconceptions about race, or did you undertake any analysis?
No, that is your assumptiuon which says more about me than you. It is about the fact that DJI as an investor has most probably restructred the business in the wake of the acquisition to run as profitably as possible and as a result quality may have suffered. If you optimize returns by reorganizing QC processes quality may suffer and what the poster described clearly seems to be a QC issue. Chinese investors are furthermore known to acquire companies to gather IP and brand equity and to then increase profitabilty by moving production into China where costs are much lower.

If you think of it, it is very smart - you start to move as much processes / production to China to lower production costs while customers still buy the products based on a long brand history. I am almost certain that Hasselblad has been "optimized" after the acquisition. This is how M&A works.

Doppler9000

No, that is your assumptiuon which says more about me than you.
Given that your sole descriptor for the new buyer was “Chinese”, you might want to revisit your self-righteous indignation.

It is about the fact that DJI as an investor has most probably restructred the business in the wake of the acquisition to run as profitably as possible and as a result quality may have suffered. If you optimize returns by reorganizing QC processes quality may suffer and what the poster described clearly seems to be a QC issue. Chinese investors are furthermore known to acquire companies to gather IP and brand equity and to then increase profitabilty by moving production into China where costs are much lower.

If you think of it, it is very smart - you start to move as much processes / production to China to lower production costs while customers still buy the products based on a long brand history. I am almost certain that Hasselblad has been "optimized" after the acquisition. This is how M&A works.
Fuji is crushing Hasselblad with product and pricing in the 33x44 market. You believe DJI’s optimal, profit-making strategy for Hasselblad would be to cut customer service budgets to the point that your luxury brand becomes known for horrible customer service? Not sure this is how M&A actually works, particularly in the premium luxury space.

Last edited:

FloatingLens

Sorry to hear your string of bad luck involving the same system that I use. I hope it's okay to add an independent perspective.

I've spent good money on my 907X and two XCD lenses so far and all parts were sealed from the factory and in pristine shape out of the box. All parts are working as intended.

PS: The only thing that I noticed that some of the paperwork in one of the lenses might have been missing. 😅 But then I am not sure about that because it is not documented what should be included.

OleBe

Of course! As I stated above, I am very happy for every owner who is enjoying his equipment.

My point is not only about being extremely unlucky, but as well that the shown (non) communication of Hasselblad is not at all premium worthy.

By the way, talking about missing paperwork, I have recognized that the original field kit came with hand signed QC certificates for all products included. This was not longer the case after the acquisition. (X1D II and so forth)

Last edited:

Duff photographer

No, that is your assumptiuon which says more about me than you. It is about the fact that DJI as an investor has most probably restructred the business in the wake of the acquisition to run as profitably as possible and as a result quality may have suffered. If you optimize returns by reorganizing QC processes quality may suffer and what the poster described clearly seems to be a QC issue. Chinese investors are furthermore known to acquire companies to gather IP and brand equity and to then increase profitabilty by moving production into China where costs are much lower.

Having some inside information, you are largely correct (production I believe will remain in Sweden or at least the assembly).

The company that acquired Hasselblad really has no idea about the history of Hasselblad, much to the frustration of its employees. This is the same company that allowed Hasselblad's 50 year anniversay of having cameras on the moon to fly over their heads. It was only the local branches (employing only a few people) that did anything, and that was, by circumstance, low key.

If a company has little idea of Hasselblad, where it came from, what it came to be, it's not going to have much idea about its future. It suffers, and in turn the customer suffers, as a consequence.

...and no, I cannot divulge my inside sources, or else I won't have any inside sources ;)

Cheers,
Duff.

Paul Spinnler

I am not going to revisit anything - should be allowed to mention that it is a Chinese buyer? Chinese buyers are known to buy Western brands to sell to the West and acquire technology.

They clearly bought the company for its brand equity and imaging IP (eg color science) to slap the logo onto its drones and to strike licensing deals with Chinese phone makers to also sell them to a Western clientele by signalling heightened quality. Like it or not, but this is M&A 101 and the halo effect of Hasselblad on DJI sales was clearl a cross-selling synergy that was factored in by the buyers.

The reality is that the perfect QC process of one of a few thousand 903 backs is probably less important than negotiating the next cellphone lens camera system licensing agreement.

docholliday

Having some inside information, you are largely correct (production I believe will remain in Sweden or at least the assembly).

The company that acquired Hasselblad really has no idea about the history of Hasselblad, much to the frustration of its employees. This is the same company that allowed Hasselblad's 50 year anniversay of having cameras on the moon to fly over their heads. It was only the local branches (employing only a few people) that did anything, and that was, by circumstance, low key.

If a company has little idea of Hasselblad, where it came from, what it came to be, it's not going to have much idea about its future. It suffers, and in turn the customer suffers, as a consequence.

...and no, I cannot divulge my inside sources, or else I won't have any inside sources ;)

Cheers,
Duff.
Sounds like your inside sources are the same as mine. You are correct that DJI bought the company for it's name, some IP, and to purely turn a profit (if possible). They care less about the history, quality, or customers and the employees are suffering as a result. DJI is going to completely ruin the Hasselblad name, despite letting assembly remain in Sweden. The corporate culture is suffering and the Chinese mentality of lowest cost is taking over. Change for the sake of change and all that.

And before somebody gets all anal about me saying that - I'm Chinese and I won't ever find anything offensive about the truth. My H5/6 collection is the last I'm buying from them, despite my hatred of P1 bodies and all the mirrorless Fuji stuff.

Doppler9000

Seems that some have a false sense of nostalgia here about the good old days.

For 2014 and 2015, Hasselblad had sales of €73 million, operating expenses €92 million, and over €21 million in losses.

What would have happened to Hasselblad if DJI hadn’t come in?

Pieter 12

Maybe another investor, maybe employees or a group less focused on short-term profits. Or it could have (and may still) go the way of so many other camera makers. Bye- bye.