The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X2D coming soon to a divorce near you

onasj

Given the imminent arrival (i.e., probably this year, I hope???) with a likely 100 MP 44x33 mm sensor (presumably the same chip as in the Fuji GFX100), tilting screen, improved live view, top LCD screen like the Phase One XF, better AF (faster, I hope?), IBIS (!!), possible CF express slot along with an SD slot, and presumed faster capture rate to make use of that CF Express slot, and three (?) new lenses including the 38/2.5 XCD, I thought it would be a good time to start this X2D-is-coming thread :)

nameBrandon

I am all over this!

I know we're talking Hassy here, so my expectations are appropriately lowered (including being screwed financially and functionality-wise by being an early adopter), but if we can get to 75-80% of the GFX100s I'll be a happy camper. I don't even need IBIS, I've got the SL series cameras for that.

Just give me...

• A flippy screen, so that I can see what I'm shooting (parallel to the ground when on a tripod)
  • a readout time so I can shoot an object faster than a snail with e-shutter
  • really nice EVF (~5M+ px please..)
  • Faster operation (reduce time between photos by ~30-40%)

....and something like an XCD 4,5-5,6 / 90-180 (that works with the 1.7x TC) to pair with the 35-75.

Last edited:

nameBrandon

Agree with your list... except I would love IBIS!
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love it as well! But I primarily use the X system on a tripod and it can be fiddly at times turning it off or forgetting I have it on. But I would rather have it than not!

tcdeveau

More pictures and rumors re: X2D.

100mp 44x33 with IBIS.

Rumored release date of Sept 7th; rumored price ~$8k.

Looks like an official HB press pic in the post below so release date has to be close.

fjablo

Looks like the new lens has a manual focus clutch. Interesting change in design, maybe the 2 others will have it as well (if there really are 2 more lenses coming)

hcubell

I assume a "manual focus clutch" would allow true manual focus rather than focus by wire. What are the advantages? Are there other examples of lenses that operate that way?
I noticed that the lens shown has a filter ring of 72mm. The other XCD lenses AFAIK are either 67mm or 77mm threads.
Still seems like a strange lens offering when there are already two 45mm lenses.

fjablo

I assume a "manual focus clutch" would allow true manual focus rather than focus by wire. What are the advantages? Are there other examples of lenses that operate that way?
I noticed that the lens shown has a filter ring of 72mm. The other XCD lenses AFAIK are either 67mm or 77mm threads.
Still seems like a strange lens offering when there are already two 45mm lenses.
still focus by wire I think, but with hard stops and defined distance markings. Some older Fuji lenses had this e.g the 23mm f/1.4 and 16mm f/1.4. Also quite common on Olympus Pro lenses like the 12-40mm f/2.8

I guess the choice of focal length is because the SWC lens was 38mm? But of course a different FOV due to the sensor size.

Not sure I like the change in design language but maybe it’s just because of the pictures that were leaked so far. I also think the X1D was cleaner in its design without the top LCD

Photon42

The HCD is pretty native, surely mucho more native than a Canon :cool:. I use a HC100 (OD) on the X1D2 and I really like it. Orange dot would give you 1/2000 shutter speed and AF, non OD gives you 1/800 and MF.

jduncan

The HCD is pretty native, surely mucho more native than a Canon :cool:. I use a HC100 (OD) on the X1D2 and I really like it. Orange dot would give you 1/2000 shutter speed and AF, non OD gives you 1/800 and MF.
The HC. 100mm. 2.2 is quite something. I can't forget the first time that I used it ( mon orange dot) on the H5D the bright beautiful image in the viewfinder.
Amazing. It's a shame that the Hasselblad appear to be convinced that the H was a financial dead end. I can understand why: they improved the platform, lower the price two times, raised the prices, added a modern film magazine (modern back on the day) promoted multishot, mounted publicity campaigns with great photographers, and the sales barely moved. I hope the X2D proves to be a great machine, and maybe they introduce a new H.
A way will be to build the H successor as a direct rental only, some kind of subscription model.

Best regards,

jduncan

More pictures and rumors re: X2D.

100mp 44x33 with IBIS.

Rumored release date of Sept 7th; rumored price ~$8k.

Looks like an official HB press pic in the post below so release date has to be close.

Looks fat, it may be it has a pretty powerful processor.
It won't have amazing AF because AF in a mirrorless camera is a combination of the sensor, the processor, and the software, but as long as it's significantly better it will do.
Nobody is shooting birds in flight with this machine.

Best regards.

TechTalk

If lenses are produced as they appear in photos, with a depth-of-field scale, it would bring back a feature that's been missing from a number of modern lenses. As pictured in their patent application from a year ago; when a ring is moved forward to engage manual focus, it uncovers a distance scale. It appears to be focus by wire in the patent application, but time will tell and it could vary.

It will be interesting to see how future lenses develop; now that Hasselblad, in addition to their own optical engineers and those at Nittoh, has access to the engineering resources and talent of DJI. In addition to the recent image stabilization patent invented by a long time Hasselblad engineer in Sweden, a number of Japanese optical patents have been assigned to Hasselblad which originate from DJI Japan engineers.

Maolin Ye, an optical design engineer; received her B.SC in optoelectronic technology in Shanghai (2010), M.Sc in Engineering Physics/Photonics from Lund University in Sweden (2012), and Professional Doctorate in Engineering - Applied Physics from Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands (2015). She joined Hasselblad in January 2018 and in addition to her optical design and engineering work, she coordinates "optical design projects (Sweden/Japan/China) for Hasselblad/DJI".

Having available a diverse international pool of engineering talent of different ages, across multiple companies and countries, has a lot of potential benefits for future innovation. I would never attempt to predict the future, but I find the possibilities promising.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Orange dot would give you 1/2000 shutter speed and AF, non OD gives you 1/800 and MF.
You may not need a 1/2,000 shutter (orange dot) lens as some older lenses have the hardware and firmware required. HC/HCD lenses from about 2013 onward have firmware version 18.0.0 or later which can be upgraded for autofocus, focus bracketing, and distance scale features on the X-series cameras.

If it's an earlier lens, check the firmware version to see if it is compatible with those features. It could have been produced up to 3-years before the orange dot lenses were introduced in 2016 and still accept the latest firmware.

Photon42

I did not want to derail this conversation into the usage of HC/D lenses on the X system :)

I wonder how that new camera feels and looks like in reality. The present model and its lenses hit my idea of elegant design to almost a 100%. On the rumoured model, from the photos that top display looks like an afterthought to me. And the lens does not really fit the present design language. But well, maybe that's only proper camouflage :oops:
As I am really not sure I would upgrade to a new model at the moment, I would on the other hand really like to see some more lenses with an F-stop at or faster than 2.8. I don't really need IBIS at the moment on this thing, and I certainly do not need more than 50 MP or even more dynamic range. That leaves an improved AF and hopefully faster E-Shutter.