The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X2D coming soon to a divorce near you

FloatingLens

The Verge review is more nuanced than the other available ones right now, but did only I find the reviewers' desperation somewhat ridiculous telling the X2D was lesser because it allegedly has less Mpx than the GFX 100S while both have the same effective 102 million pixels? :LOL:
Exactly my point.

jduncan

Hi,

The X2D-100C does not have GPS built-in, and I don't know if it supports the old-style GPS or something like an app to allow one to tag the pictures.
I don't like it, even as a joke. It's particularly important when one is traveling.
I know corporations like to cut corners, and this is another corner they cut. (video is another, Fuji is offering 4K 24). I really don't care about video, personally but I am sure others care.
Maybe the most significant corner cut is a cable release. Having a camera one can't put on a tripod and shoot a landscape without touching it (or getting your phone or, even worse, your tablet) is such nonsense.

By the way, I don't know why Apple has not created a "camera kit" to control cameras from your smartwatch. They Apple watches have powerful processors and plenty of memory, but that is not here nor there.

For me, the X2D is still a compelling upgrade. As they go by we will learn more stuff, bad and good, and learn if it's really as good as it seemed when released.

Best regards,

mristuccia

The real problem with the newest MF mirrorless form factor and price is that FF people "recognise" them and then think this is just an upgrade to their FFs.
So all of them complain about the slowness of the autofocus, the absence of video features and the lack of 30 fps.
At least with the MF reflex cameras there was no such risk. Those kids once avoided them like the plague. :D
But the gap is really closing.

Last edited:

hcubell

The real problem with the newest MF mirrorless form factor and price is that FF people "recognise" them and then think this is just an upgrade to their FFs.
So all of them complain about the slowness of the autofocus, the absence of video features and the lack of 30 fps.
At least with the MF reflex cameras there was no such risk. Those kids once stayed away like they were the plague. :D
This is completely true. I believe that the vast majority of those who are buying Fuji GFX cameras (or considering an X2D) are evaluating them by looking at FF cameras and expecting them to be just like a Sony A1 or a Nikon Z9/7II but with more megapixels. A perfect replacement of a Sony A1 or Nikon Z9 that will do just about everything that those FF cameras can do. That makes no sense at all. A MFD system will never replace a FF system like a Sony A1 or a Nikon Z9. An X2D or even a GFX 100S will leave you wanting. My own point of comparison is a 6x7 Mamiya 7 film camera. In that light, the X2D looks VERY favorable.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Verge review claims that Fuji beats X2D because of 102MP (Fuji) vs. 100MP (X2D).
The 2MP difference is only 1MP less than what the Nikon D1 offered in total some 23 years ago, at a price comparable to either the Fuji or the Hasselblad. Food for thought?

jduncan

At least with the MF reflex cameras there was no such risk. Those kids once stayed away like they were the plague. :D
I agree and back in the day the difference in terms of image quality was more impressive. If one used just math without taking into account applications a 22 mega pixel digital back vs a 6 megapixels full frame (or crop that was normal back on the day) is less that 4 time more, so a 150 MP Phase one vs a Nikon D800, but in reality the difference between a 22MP y 6MP is more because the applications that need 150MP are limited, and today a lot of viewing is on the WEB or printed and at most common sizes (including many big prints). 50mep is more than enough, and with the new software even more so.

That also means that Foveon no longer makes a lot of sense, pixels are so close to one another that color interpolation has a very small impact in color quality, not so in the 6 megapixels days.
So you see a picture of the X2D and you get blow out by the colors, or look at the Eyes of the model from a Phase one and how!, or an art reproduction from a H6D-400C and mama Mia! I am willing to suffer to get the extra quality, but most people don't do such a thing and a 75 dots per inch (good for long distance viewing) a Z9 picture is bigger than Shaquille O'neal no advanced interpolation needed.

Best regards,

Photon42

Does anyone know whether PDAF in the new Hasselblad X2D is actually working with the older XCD lenses and also the AF-compatible HC lenses?

leejo

Reading through the instruction manual, which is 40 pages shorter than the X1D II 50C manual BTW, I notice that there is no focus peaking and that the crop modes are now gone. The latter is an interesting one as a big selling point to me (and I suspect others) is seeing the in camera live view crop of, for example, the XPan mode for accurate composition. There are probably a few other things gone, but I haven't done a direct comparison as they don't concern me.

The take away is - don't expect this to have feature parity with the X1D II 50C. You won't be getting all the stuff the previous generation had *plus* the IBIS, better AF, 100MP, etc. They have stripped out a few features, or haven't had time to reimplement them without bugs for the release.

Given how much feature regression the X2D is showing it hints at a significant change at a hardware control level and firmware drivers... Hopefully updates will come, but this is definitely now off my wishlist.

Photon42

Crop modes should be a no-brainer to add in firmware. Same with focus peaking. I did not use any of these so far other than toying around a little with it. On the other hand, especially now with this gigantic resolution, a XPAN mode would certainly be attractive.

davidrm

Given how much feature regression the X2D is showing it hints at a significant change at a hardware control level and firmware drivers... Hopefully updates will come, but this is definitely now off my wishlist.
same here. My initial reaction was TakeMyMoney but my enthusiasm has cooled, for now. Although IBIS is a great addition, and the flippy screen is an improvement (but as useful as a chocolate teapot in vertical orientation), the top screen seems utterly pointless, losing the mode dial is ridiculous, the same fiddly ways of focus point selection is massively disappointing, and I use crop modes constantly. Although personally I’ve never even switched it on, dumping GPS is surely going to upset some people, ditto video (maybe). The lack of video seems less like a product plan than an engineering failure. Or a lack of thorough heat budgeting at the design stage. And as for those riduculous retro strap lugs, well.. It does seem to me that the X2D has been rushed out. Unfinished in a different way to the X1D, but still unfinished. Of course it looks gorgeous, I sure it feels great to handle, and Hans Strand’s endorsement counts for a lot, so I hope it will evolve to fix some of these issues. But for now I’ll suffer the terrible hardship of making do with the fabulous X1DII.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's worth remembering the product launch of the X1D. That camera was a mess, and gradually improved. I may be disappointed, but I believe that much of the missing functionality will reappear. And it remains to be seen how well this quite different camera will work in practice.

leejo

Crop modes should be a no-brainer to add in firmware. Same with focus peaking. I did not use any of these so far other than toying around a little with it. On the other hand, especially now with this gigantic resolution, a XPAN mode would certainly be attractive.
Yep - my reason to purchase this would be to replace my XPan as current Imacon scans of those negatives given me around 12,000 pixels on the long edge so the 100MP resolution here would about equal that. That's not critical, but I was hoping that the crop mode would be included from the launch as composing with the panoramic framing is essential to the way I work. I assume crop modes will be added back in the coming months, if so it will be back on my list.

mristuccia

About the lack of video, personally I couldn't care less. It is in any case the wrong tool for the job. We're talking pro cameras here, not fun-toys for enthusiastic hipsters.
As far as all the other missing features, they will come for sure with the time. That's the reason why I'll wait 6 months minimum before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

PeterA

It seems that the ( now) older type lenses are limited to 1/2000th shutter speed and no Phase detect auto focus.....

davidrm

It's worth remembering the product launch of the X1D. That camera was a mess, and gradually improved. I may be disappointed, but I believe that much of the missing functionality will reappear. And it remains to be seen how well this quite different camera will work in practice.
Sure. But you'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson. They certainly have claimed to...

tcdeveau

I’m willing to bet they’ll have a firmware update or two or five before most ppl get their hands on one anyway. Shrug.

Happy to see what they did with the X2D, better start looking under my couch cushions for some camera money