The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassey 907x Depth of Field Preview...MIA?

Trogster

Following years of analog photography in various formats, I’ve finally decided to put my toe in the water and give this digital technology a try.

I received my 907x just the other day and have been busy reading all the literature and learning to navigate the menus. I must say, it’s pretty intimidating at first, but in time I’m sure I’ll get comfortable with the platform.

That being said, I find that some of the features that I’ve learned to rely on in the analog world, just don’t appear possible on the 907x.

Particularly, depth of field preview. Is there any way, in real time, to see what’s in focus as I stop down the lens? I suppose I could bring my Dof calculator with me, but you would think that a camera system of this quality, that this function would be supported? (Or is it just not possible on a mirrorless camera?)

Last edited:

nameBrandon

I had the same challenge with AE Lock. The good news is that you should be able to this with the 907x, the bad news is that you'll need the control grip to do it. You have to reprogram one of the top 4 buttons on the grip as DoF preview. Has nothing to do with mirrorless, it's Hasselblad. I can do this on my mirrorless sony / fuji / etc.. gear without issue.

I will say it's a conversation starter / ice breaker when you walk around with the 907x on the control grip. :)

Trogster

I had the same challenge with AE Lock. The good news is that you should be able to this with the 907x, the bad news is that you'll need the control grip to do it. You have to reprogram one of the top 4 buttons on the grip as DoF preview. Has nothing to do with mirrorless, it's Hasselblad. I can do this on my mirrorless sony / fuji / etc.. gear without issue.

I will say it's a conversation starter / ice breaker when you walk around with the 907x on the control grip. :)

Well, the good news is that I also purchased the grip (in for a pound). And I've successfully re-programmed one of the grip buttons for Dof preview. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I was also pleased to see the AE-L button assignment is a toggle, and not momentary like so many other cameras.

:):):):)

Last edited:

nameBrandon

Well, the good news is that I also purchased the grip (in for a pound). And I've successfully re-programmed one of the grip buttons for Dof preview. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I was also pleased to see the AE-L button assignment is a toggle, and not momentary like so many other cameras.

:):):):)
Hah! Glad to see you picked up the grip as well. I've since moved on to other gear but I do miss that fun package of the grip + 907x and the tiny 45P.

PSS

I wish there was some depth indication on the distance scale, even if it was just an approximate. would love to see the focus range changing on that scale as I change the f stop.

Trogster

I wish there was some depth indication on the distance scale, even if it was just an approximate. would love to see the focus range changing on that scale as I change the f stop.
I believe the 'focus peaking' utility takes the place of depth-distance scales. However it's only available when set to manual focus.

Godfrey

That's quite a photo! OMG!
Be careful out there!

Yes, the Control Grip adds in surface area, buttons, and settings for most of the other typical controls that are included in monobloc bodies like the X1D.

My conjecture: I suspect that Hasselblad knew that many users of the 907x were looking for the CFVII 50c back, mostly, to use with existing V system gear where these controls were already extant, so they designed the base 907x body to be as minimal as possible and supplement it with accessories like the control grip and the optical finder mount for those who come to use it more of the time. That keeps the price of the body very low for those who are primarily interested in the back, but leaves the option of using the X system lens line with a full-function camera for anyone who buys the gear.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your 907x! I have to say: I love working with this camera a lot. :)

G