The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy V lens on tech camera+DB. anyone?

cuida1991

Hello,
I'm wondering how much shift does it allow when using the Hassy V lens (for example, 40mm CFE IF) with tech camera+IQ digital backs? Anyone has tried this before? How's the image quality, compared to the Rodenstock lens?
Thank you so much in advance.

I have tried the 180 on a Cambo Actus with an IQ4 150. The resolution is excellent even with movements, the biggest weakness is CA which gets bad with high contrast edges but its mostly manageable in post. This was stopped down for landscape work.

ggibson

Funny, we were just discussing shifting Hasselblad V lenses in another thread--see my post and link to the flexbody info:

Unfortunately, the 40mm appears not to have much wiggle room.

med

I just got my 645 adaptor in the mail for mounting V lenses on my Phase One XF and I wish I had done it sooner... So far I am impressed with the quality of my 50 CF (non-FLE) and 160 CB (A very under rated lens IMHO), although I haven't done any in depth testing.

I wish there was a way to mount them on my RM3Di so I could get some long lens options, in addition to getting some limited movements, without needing the XF or having my Sironar-S lenses remounted.

If only Arca would sell the parts for the RM3Di lens boards, as I'm sure SK Grimes could marry a Hassy V mount to one of the boards. I wonder if I sacrificed one of the short "remove for rotaslide" spacers that I'm not using, if it could be done somehow...... hmmmm.

jng

Hello,
I'm wondering how much shift does it allow when using the Hassy V lens (for example, 40mm CFE IF) with tech camera+IQ digital backs? Anyone has tried this before? How's the image quality, compared to the Rodenstock lens?
Thank you so much in advance.
Unfortunately, the 40mm appears not to have much wiggle room.
I just checked some old image files made on a Flexbody and confirmed that I was able to shift the 40 IF CFE pretty cleanly out to 10mm on the long dimension of the IQ160 54x40mm sensor (I think the smaller image circle published for the 40/4 Distagon are for the earlier non-IF and non-FLE versions). In my experience the 40 IF is very, very sharp. There's a hint of CA out toward the edges that's easily correctable in post. I couldn't justify keeping it after acquiring the Rodenstock 40HR but I wouldn't say that the performance of the two lenses was worlds apart.

As noted above, the topic of using V system and other legacy lenses on tech cams has come up more than a few times here. If you search through some of the threads here in the medium format forum there will be plenty of reading to keep you busy!

John