The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help needed please.

rayyan

I have been using 2 different camera systems. I have all the lenses I need for each of them except a wa...15/16-35mm ff equivalent

nikon z6, df
Fuji x xt3, xpro2

I travel a lot...overseas destinations.

I like each of them. But carrying both systems has become a pita.
I have filters for all lenses.

which system do I ditch?

Considerations for me:
weight
Ibis allows no tripod carry in most situations...terrible hands
Should perform well in low light
( both systems do pretty well )
A sp

nikon z entails purchase of z wa f4
Ftz is really a kludge! Imho

Xt3 n/or xpro2 lacks ibis
Gave away my xh1 due to size.
Xt4...cost my friends...cost

I have a L system not used now.
I have a broken x100s
A Sony rx..the first one but works ok

Which system should I ditch?

Your input n advice greatly appreciated.

Stay safe.

fotoism

I do not use Nikon so I cannot help with which system to ditch, but if size, weight, IBIS, and cost are your concerns, it may be worthwhile to take a look at Fuji X-S10 that is due to come out soon and decide if this one will make you want to stick with Fuji. Not a top tier camera in some areas but may fit your other needs as mentioned.

tomh

Rayyan,

I have similar cameras (z6,df,xpro3). I felt IBIS was an important feature given my increasingly shaky hands. After using the z6 I conclude it mainly helps on lower light indoor shots. If shooting outdoors, sunlight allows fast shutter speed that freeze shake. The xpro viewfinder helps improve my compositions. I would lean towards your xpro-2 as my main camera. Of course, your personal preferences would weight an evaluation differently. Best wishes.

How about you just stop using one of your camera systems? You choose which one. Nobody can help you decide. The last thing you need is a new camera.

Godfrey

I know IBIS helps you keep the camera steady, but I nearly always carry a tripod anyway. IBIS does nothing to stop subject motion, which is the true difficulty in low light if you are shooting people.

I agree with faberryman ... Just carry one of your systems with the pieces that make sense for your travel. You don't need a new camera, you just have to decide which system works best for your travel needs.

G

rayyan

Fotoism,
Thank you for your suggestion.
Seems a very interesting product. October 15 is the intro date.

stay safe.

rayyan

tom, faberryman, G..

thanks so much for your inputs.
a new camera is a very faint possibility.

I am leaning towards the Fuji more , at this time.
But unless I park my Nikon’s outside my house, the temptation to carry them remains!

stay well. Stay safe.

Shashin

For me, it comes down to which one I reach for, which one I enjoy. I would put each system in their own bag and then let what you grab be your choice.

As you know, I really like my Fuji XP2 and it has been a good travel and walk around setup. Lenses are compact and light--at least the ones I have. I have not used a Nikon and so cannot offer any insight into the how that feels to use/carry. But I have also noticed a few Fuji users here at GetDPI move over to the Nikon--perhaps they can chime in.

darr

I probably will not be much help. I own four Fuji cameras and a slew of lenses. I bought the XPro3 and thought I would have my XPro2 IR converted, but nope, I enjoy the XP2 too much as my walk around camera. So hopefully someone from the Nikon camp (what I used before Fuji) will chime in and help out.

rayyan

Hi Will.

This is what I am going to do.
I shall put both systems in my backpack.

Walk around the neighborhood , and see which one I enjoy the most.

Thanks and stay safe.

For me, it comes down to which one I reach for, which one I enjoy. I would put each system in their own bag and then let what you grab be your choice.

As you know, I really like my Fuji XP2 and it has been a good travel and walk around setup. Lenses are compact and light--at least the ones I have. I have not used a Nikon and so cannot offer any insight into the how that feels to use/carry. But I have also noticed a few Fuji users here at GetDPI move over to the Nikon--perhaps they can chime in.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ray,

IMHO this comment here is your fallacy:
"nikon z entails purchase of z wa f4
Ftz is really a kludge! Imho"

Yes, any EF lens with FTZ is a bit of a cluge, but at the same time it's less so for longer lenses... But in the range you desire, the 14-30/4S lens is pretty darn stellar, and relatively small. Coupled with the 24-70/4, they are a travel dream pair of zooms. I personally then also include a 70-300PF with FTZ if I want longer. It's fairly lightweight, relatively compact, not excessive cost and quite impressive IQ for that focal and price range IMHO. It stays in the hotel room most of the time unless/until I know I'm going to want it. YMMV.

Robert Campbell

"I travel a lot...overseas destinations."

You are lucky to be able to do that these days. However, what is the purpose of this travel? Is it primarily for business, or primarily for photography (and leisure)?

Secondly, while you have two camera systems, why do you need both? (I plead ignorance as to the benefits/drawbacks of either system.) Is there anything essential that can only be done with one or the other system, meaning that you must take both with you?

(If you were to stay in your local area, then by all means have as many systems as you wish; but you aren't doing that. You are limited in what you can take with you — rather assuming that you are flying.)

rayyan

Thanks Jack for your response.

indeed the 14-30S f/4 is an option that I am considering. However, that entails a new set of filters ( added on to the cost ). I,personally, do not
use GND filters. Prefer to do it post. However I have money invested in other filter sizes. A good quality GD filter is not that cheap.

I do have the other 2 lenses you mention. But not another Z camera!
While I have 2 Fujis that take the same set of lenses.

I ain’t traveling anywhere now, so not in a hurry.

Stay safe and stay well.

Ray,

IMHO this comment here is your fallacy:
"nikon z entails purchase of z wa f4
Ftz is really a kludge! Imho"

Yes, any EF lens with FTZ is a bit of a cluge, but at the same time it's less so for longer lenses... But in the range you desire, the 14-30/4S lens is pretty darn stellar, and relatively small. Coupled with the 24-70/4, they are a travel dream pair of zooms. I personally then also include a 70-300PF with FTZ if I want longer. It's fairly lightweight, relatively compact, not excessive cost and quite impressive IQ for that focal and price range IMHO. It stays in the hotel room most of the time unless/until I know I'm going to want it. YMMV.

rayyan

Robert, I ain’t traveling now, now have done so for quite some time.
I would never travel abroad, with just one camera. No, I can do most with one systems, but need a spare, based on my camera failing as experienced by me in distant lands. You are correct, but why 2 different camera system?
That is exactly what I am perplexing over.

Thankyou so much for your response.
Best.

Godfrey

When I carry two cameras, I tend to carry two very different cameras. ...Because they "see" completely differently, and that difference inspires me to look at things differently.

For whatever reason, I've only once had a camera fail in the field, and it was my own fault that it did, so I just don't worry about carrying a spare for sake of redundancy unless I'm on a paid photo shoot—then I carry an identical spare camera because when I'm on a paid shoot, the only thing that matters is that I complete the work successfully and deliver the goods. Anything that might get in the way of that is something I avoid, including making the wrong settings because I just switched to an alternative camera with different controls.

I don't do those paid things anymore. There are an infinite number of photo opps out there, I'm never going to get them all anyway, so if the camera breaks and I have nothing but my eyes (and my smartphone), well, I take a break and do something else for a bit. :D

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My back-up camera for travel is now my iPhone. My Z7 allows me to "see" just about any way I want to, though admittedly it cannot replicate Leica M type seeing ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In reality you have three systems, Fuji X, Nikon F and Nikon Z. The two Nikons don't even share batteries.

This is all very personal, but if it were me, I would go for the Nikons. The Df with one or two good primes, the Z6 with the zooms that you need. This gives you full frame at more or less the same weight and size as the Fuji cameras and lenses, and the option of changing between electronic and optical viewfinders, if that matters. It does to me. You also have IBIS with the Z6. If you need more reach, Nikon also offers the excellent 70-300mm AF-P. If you only want to carry one body, you take the Z6 and the FTZ with the primes.

Thorkil

Hi Rayyan!

(good to hear you rolling)

I’ve got 2 Df’s, a D700, a Z7, a X-T2, X-T3, a X-E3.

I love the Df, but I haven’t grabbed it for a long time. The D700 I keep, to have my old D3 sensor within reach, but I don’t reach.

I love all the knubs on the Fujis, I love the size, the lenses (I will only keep the 16/1.4 and the 90/2, (perhaps the 18-55 as a boring all-rounder too), when I get the energy to sell, sell, sell.

But I don’t reach for the Fuji’s for the time being, and haven’t in a long time

I reach for my Z7, I’m not in love with it, but I like it, I really like it, but I decided several years ago when a mirrorless Nikon came out I would stay put by that (and that feeling havn’t left me, but its not a must-do-thing - it’s a nice thing). Why? Because comparing the way to take pictures by the Fuji (even at work – buildings, technical things etc) I was not always sure of getting the picture done with Fuji, and it don’t react confident to me, I’m always uncertain, and that is annoying. By the Z, its so effective and simple to handle and carry in my hand and mind, that it’s a mental relief, I’m always certain, I don’t have to check, I only check home at the screen. Looking through the EVF is simple and stellar in the right way, it’s all there, and the I-button gives you what you need or can be configurated. I’m always surprised of how it deliver me good pictures despite my undisciplined way of shooting. I have always been a bit undisciplined, but given up on the issue..

So the Z fits my health so to say, and do my picture-making as an easy road to walk down at.

What Jack says, the 14-30/4, the 24-70/4. And for tele I’ve got the wonderful non-native 70-200/4G ED, and the updates have done it acceptable to use, and the confidence is growing upon it. I’ve just got a 1.4TC adapter for just nothing and therefore got a 280mm tele almost for free, and its just as good as without, but the aperture is wide open limited to f5.6, and 1/125 was to slow, so I guess its 1/250 next time. But with a 1.4TC + the FTZ the 70-200/4 certainly don’t feel like a pocket tele-zoom any more, but still good and confident and joyful to use.

Don’t know if it’s of any use for you, Rayyan

best thorkil

Robert Campbell

Robert, I ain’t traveling now, now have done so for quite some time.
I would never travel abroad, with just one camera. No, I can do most with one system, but need a spare, based on my camera failing as experienced by me in distant lands. You are correct, but why 2 different camera systems?
That is exactly what I am perplexing over.

Thank you so much for your response.
Best.
If your problem, or worry, is that one camera will fail, then why not have a second body of the same type? They need not be identical but should be able to use all the lenses.
That would mean carrying 2 bodies and the lenses you prefer. If one body fails, you still have a back-up.
That would be less weighty than 2 systems with one body each, and a collection of lenses for each. If one body fails, you have a collection of lenses that you cannot use (but might have to cart around).

As to which body or system, I can't assist; I don't know enough about either system.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I always carry two identical bodies when I travel. For the last few years that have been two Panasonic GX8 which are more or less the same size as the Nikon Z6. There are two reasons why I do that:

- Backup in case of failure like Rayyan. I believe Rayyan and I travel to more or less the same kind of inaccessible kind of destinations, places where getting a camera repaired isn't possible.
- Avoid changing lenses when there's no time to do so or when it's inconvenient for other reasons.

From that point of view, the two Fuji bodies would make more sense... or two Z6 or two Df bodies. Two Df bodies sounds nice...