The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with Phase One XF decision please!

Greg Haag

Hi Greg,

My impression based on very limited handling of the XF + BR lenses is that the combination is a beast. YMMV, of course. Not to derail this thread or refute the excellent input you're getting here, but if reducing weight/bulk for backpacking is more of a concern than moving to the DSLR form factor, have you considered the Cambo WRC400? It's quite compact compared to its bigger WRS brothers. Note however that shift is limited to one axis (although this is one more than you can do with the XF!). Also with the 150 Mp BSI sensor, the symmetrical design Schneiders (e.g., 35, 60) are a viable alternative to the much bulkier retrofocus design Rodenstocks. You might be able to assemble a nice, light kit without giving up many of the advantages afforded by the tech cam form factor if the latter matters to you at all. Again, apologies for the distraction if this is orthogonal to what you have in mind.

John
John, no derailing or distractions at all, I really appreciate your insight! Also, that is a great idea on a light tech kit. I have a few objectives here that I probably gave inadequate information on, first, this gap is currently filled with the Leica S007 and I am having to switch between LIghtroom & Capture One for file management. Second, I have some stills that I would like to take advantage of the ability to focus stack. Third, I have some uses where autofocus is important. Honestly, I have shot medium format backs on Hasselblad and now Phase One for so long I guess the weight feels normal (except on long hikes). I did consider switching from the Cambo to the XT, but I am so invested in my current tech setup. Thanks again for you insights, please continue to help me keep it between the ditches!

Reactions: jng

jng

John, no derailing or distractions at all, I really appreciate your insight! Also, that is a great idea on a light tech kit. I have a few objectives here that I probably gave inadequate information on, first, this gap is currently filled with the Leica S007 and I am having to switch between LIghtroom & Capture One for file management. Second, I have some stills that I would like to take advantage of the ability to focus stack. Third, I have some uses where autofocus is important. Honestly, I have shot medium format backs on Hasselblad and now Phase One for so long I guess the weight feels normal (except on long hikes). I did consider switching from the Cambo to the XT, but I am so invested in my current tech setup. Thanks again for you insights, please continue to help me keep it between the ditches!
Hi Greg,

Indeed, these are the applications for which the tech cam is not well suited. I have the little Hasselblad X1D to fall back on in these cases, although being forced into using different programs for raw processing is a pain. Of course, Dante will be extra pleased if you pick up a WRC400 in addition to your growing XF kit!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the XF.

John

Greg Haag

Hi Greg,

Indeed, these are the applications for which the tech cam is not well suited. I have the little Hasselblad X1D to fall back on in these cases, although being forced into using different programs for raw processing is a pain. Of course, Dante will be extra pleased if you pick up a WRC400 in addition to your growing XF kit!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the XF.

John

Greg Haag

Thank you John! I may need to consider the smaller tech camera to get back in Dante’s good graces, it has been a long time since I have heard from him!

RLB

Echoing that the P1 40-80mm is an excellent lens. I actually bought the non-Blue ring version last year (used mint) and it's sharpness through the zoom range and to the corners is superb with the IQ4. I have the 35mm Blue ring and the 120Mac non-Blue ring (more compact, just as sharp) and wanted something to fill the middle ground since the 80mm is not very good outside the center for sharpness. I see P1 just announced v3 of the 80mm, has to be better than the current offering. If you can find a super clean non Blue ring version of 40-80mm I'd recommend it since it will be far less expensive and in my research just as sharp. The only downside to the 40-80 is the size and weight.

Greg Haag

Echoing that the P1 40-80mm is an excellent lens. I actually bought the non-Blue ring version last year (used mint) and it's sharpness through the zoom range and to the corners is superb with the IQ4. I have the 35mm Blue ring and the 120Mac non-Blue ring (more compact, just as sharp) and wanted something to fill the middle ground since the 80mm is not very good outside the center for sharpness. I see P1 just announced v3 of the 80mm, has to be better than the current offering. If you can find a super clean non Blue ring version of 40-80mm I'd recommend it since it will be far less expensive and in my research just as sharp. The only downside to the 40-80 is the size and weight.
Thank you for sharing your insight on this!