The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hi Here

reillynevada

Glad to be part of the forum. I shoot medium format film (Bronica and Holga) and large format film and am thinking about upgrading my digital (Canon 5D Mark II) to medium format.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! It is great to have you here. Thank you so much for being one of the first in this new "INTRODUCTION" section. Looking forward to our conversations and seeing your imagery.

P.S. Would you mind uploading a photo of you or any of your images as your avatar. Otherwise it displays a letter.

jsf

Hello! Olaf, I prefer the letter, it certainly is better looking than myself. I am now retired but for over twenty years I was a full-time commercial photographer. When I was working as a photographer I used everything from an 8x10 view camera,4x5, medium format, and very occasionally 35mm. That was professionally, however, in that same period of time, I did a lot of very low light candid work for myself. This would have been in the mid to late sixties to the very early nineties. I loved using a small Zeiss Contax with a f/1.5 lens and Re-2475 film at 2400 ISO. I liked to photograph musicians in dark little clubs. My first solo show was in 1971 and it was these musician shots. Professionally I stood on stage in front of BB King in order to satisfy the client (7-Up) in what they needed. But most of what I did was for myself. A lot of Blues Musicians from that period of time.

Most of what I did commercially was architectural, product illustrations, PR, and aerials. I started an advertising agency late in my career and I found I preferred being on the other side rather than the creative side of that kind of work. Pretty much in my overall career, I did all of the aspects of a business, working either for myself or for others.

I taught photography briefly full time but periodically I have been teaching photography off and on for 45 years. I have been exhibiting my art for over fifty years. Last April I was scheduled for a solo show but we decided to delay it for another year. I also had a show scheduled for this November and it is still up in the air, however, I would prefer not going ahead with the show. These would have been my 104th and 105th show respectively. I have a BFA and an MFA from the San Francisco Art Institute.

I generally work on 6-10 portfolios at the same time. I am somewhat omnivorous in the subject matter. When I was working I once was speaking with a very young art director. We were not hitting it off. Finally, she asked me what my specialty was, this was after looking at my portfolio. I told her it was lighting. I told her if something needed light in order to be photographed I was rather good at it. Needless to say, I got no work from that agency.

I write a column for a Photography Club out of Canada, regardless of the fact that I live in California and I am not unfortunately Canadian. I like to write and have done a fair amount of fiction and non-fiction. Not to overstate it, I have written libretto for opera, and a lot of single and two-voice performance poetry. Sprinkled in there are short stories and half-finished novels. Lately, I am working on a graphic novel.

I mention all of this as a way to introduce my love affair with photography is fairly broad. Before the sequestration my projects included, an architectural series, I had my one and only solo museum show with this series. I like to make images without context. I am fascinated with reflections and have a large portfolio of these images. I used to document what I call cultural oddities, a hand of man if you will subject matter. I have been hand-coloring photographs for over fifty years. I used to use oil paint and then I switched to colored pencils and now I use watercolor. The show for this November would/will be using this technique.

I have been working on a project for the last ten years photographing photographers, either just before, during, or just after the shutter release. People are very emotive with their faces when they are lost in the moment. The show was scheduled for this last April, now it is re-scheduled for April of 2021, and is called The Photographer's Moment.

I am currently on hold photographing people, but I have a portrait series that I have been doing for the last four years. I am fairly stoked over this current project. I was doing a fair amount of street work until this year. I have been working on a series of flowers. I am not sure what I think of them so far. I really have not found the "what-ever we call it, " approach maybe is the word. I have a lot of images, I just don't think I have refined the story enough yet. I am sort of in the middle of the muddle.

The images are representative of a few of my portfolios. In order, they are; REFLECTION series, PORTRAIT project, ARCHITECTURAL series, HAND-COLORED pencil work from the Paper Puppet Project, and one image from THE PHOTOGRAPHER'S MOMENT show.

Attachments

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! Olaf, I prefer the letter, it certainly is better looking than myself. I am now retired but for over twenty years I was a full-time commercial photographer. When I was working as a photographer I used everything from an 8x10 view camera,4x5, medium format, and very occasionally 35mm. That was professionally, however, in that same period of time, I did a lot of very low light candid work for myself. This would have been in the mid to late sixties to the very early nineties. I loved using a small Zeiss Contax with a f/1.5 lens and Re-2475 film at 2400 ISO. I liked to photograph musicians in dark little clubs. My first solo show was in 1971 and it was these musician shots. Professionally I stood on stage in front of BB King in order to satisfy the client (7-Up) in what they needed. But most of what I did was for myself. A lot of Blues Musicians from that period of time.

Most of what I did commercially was architectural, product illustrations, PR, and aerials. I started an advertising agency late in my career and I found I preferred being on the other side rather than the creative side of that kind of work. Pretty much in my overall career, I did all of the aspects of a business, working either for myself or for others.

I taught photography briefly full time but periodically I have been teaching photography off and on for 45 years. I have been exhibiting my art for over fifty years. Last April I was scheduled for a solo show but we decided to delay it for another year. I also had a show scheduled for this November and it is still up in the air, however, I would prefer not going ahead with the show. These would have been my 104th and 105th show respectively. I have a BFA and an MFA from the San Francisco Art Institute.

I generally work on 6-10 portfolios at the same time. I am somewhat omnivorous in the subject matter. When I was working I once was speaking with a very young art director. We were not hitting it off. Finally, she asked me what my specialty was, this was after looking at my portfolio. I told her it was lighting. I told her if something needed light in order to be photographed I was rather good at it. Needless to say, I got no work from that agency.

I write a column for a Photography Club out of Canada, regardless of the fact that I live in California and I am not unfortunately Canadian. I like to write and have done a fair amount of fiction and non-fiction. Not to overstate it, I have written libretto for opera, and a lot of single and two-voice performance poetry. Sprinkled in there are short stories and half-finished novels. Lately, I am working on a graphic novel.

I mention all of this as a way to introduce my love affair with photography is fairly broad. Before the sequestration my projects included, an architectural series, I had my one and only solo museum show with this series. I like to make images without context. I am fascinated with reflections and have a large portfolio of these images. I used to document what I call cultural oddities, a hand of man if you will subject matter. I have been hand-coloring photographs for over fifty years. I used to use oil paint and then I switched to colored pencils and now I use watercolor. The show for this November would/will be using this technique.

I have been working on a project for the last ten years photographing photographers, either just before, during, or just after the shutter release. People are very emotive with their faces when they are lost in the moment. The show was scheduled for this last April, now it is re-scheduled for April of 2021, and is called The Photographer's Moment.

I am currently on hold photographing people, but I have a portrait series that I have been doing for the last four years. I am fairly stoked over this current project. I was doing a fair amount of street work until this year. I have been working on a series of flowers. I am not sure what I think of them so far. I really have not found the "what-ever we call it, " approach maybe is the word. I have a lot of images, I just don't think I have refined the story enough yet. I am sort of in the middle of the muddle.

The images are representative of a few of my portfolios. In order, they are; REFLECTION series, PORTRAIT project, ARCHITECTURAL series, HAND-COLORED pencil work from the Paper Puppet Project, and one image from THE PHOTOGRAPHER'S MOMENT show.
Thank you so much for introducing yourself. It is great to have you here.

Reactions: jsf

Tim Floyd

Hello, I live in Idaho and enjoy many aspects of photography. I'm not locked into any genre or format. I enjoy reading forums and look forward to participation here.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, I live in Idaho and enjoy many aspects of photography. I'm not locked into any genre or format. I enjoy reading forums and look forward to participation here.
Great to have you here Tim. Thank you for introducing yourself. Our "Intro" section is brand new and most people appears to be shy. In other words, you are on of the trailblazers here ;) Big Welcome!