The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High Definition to DVD??

Tsutomu

Along with another parent, I am going to be video a high school fund raising event with a Canon and Sony high-def video cameras. We are planning to use Sony Vegas Pro 9 to edit and process the footage from both cameras to a DVD.

I am pretty sure that I can burn the high-def version of the edited footage to Blu-ray. Can I burn high-def to DVD (assuming it was short enough so the file size was not an issue? How will it look on a HDTV/DVD combination as compared to HDTV/Blu-ray combo?

I am a relative newbie to the world of video, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tsutomu

etrigan63

If you are planning on burning a DVD that is playable on a commercial DVD player, then the answer is no. Commercial DVD players use a MPEG-2 based format that is, at best, 480p. Most modern DVD players with HD outputs (and all BD players) upconvert this signal with scan-line doubling. So it is not true HD.

Blu-ray uses an MTS file (MPEG Transport Stream) and can handle up to 1080p signals.

Remember, this applies to discs that are playable on commercial players. If you use a Media Center PC with HD output, you can load hi-def MPEG-4 files on a DVD (formatted as PC/Mac storage, not video) and play them in HD on your HDTV.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>If you are planning on burning a DVD that is playable on a commercial DVD player, then the answer is no.

But you can actually burn HD content on DVD and play on Blu-ray players (at least on some). The content is then limited to about 30 minutes. I did this using Toast Platinium.

ustein

Contributing Editor
An even more clever idea maybe to get a Western Digital Media player and then play from USB sticks.

etrigan63

>If you are planning on burning a DVD that is playable on a commercial DVD player, then the answer is no.

But you can actually burn HD content on DVD and play on Blu-ray players (at least on some). The content is then limited to about 30 minutes. I did this using Toast Platinium.
If it is burned as a commercial video DVD, no. The spec is MPEG-2/480p max. It it is burned as a data disc, then HD M4V files can be saved there and assuming the player knows how to read them, yes. In the case of a BD player, it would have to be saved as an MTS file. A feature film like "Iron Man" for example has an MTS file that is nearly 34GB in size.

etrigan63

An update: certain recently introduced models of blu-ray players can now handle HD content on DVD discs. You are, however, restricted to the space limits of DVD (~4.7GB single sided) which is about 15 minutes worth of HD content in MTS format.

R

roymiller

Yes, And with my point of view, Consumers came in droves when the CD was released in 1982. The new format not only offers a new digital media, but also a way to instantly access tracks around the whole "album". Convenience, not technology, drove this format almost immediately among consumers. Fast forward a bit until 1997, when the first DVD was released. Again, convenience, not technology, drove people to the mass market.

dick

¿So what is the answer then?

Could I buy an eSATA blu-Ray writer, plug it into my Mac book Pro and write blu-ray discs that anyone could play on any blu-ray player?