The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Home made slide projector project

Working on a project at the moment where I'm making a very basic, crude DIY slide projector with a few parts found around the home. Nothing fancy or elaborate. Sort of like a MacGyver slide projector (if he ever needed to make one.) A cardboard box with a circular hole cut out of it will be used to house the Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lens. I'll also make a cardboard stand for the slide to stand up vertically.

Though I'm curious about the light source. Obviously, I want a nice, bright image projected. But I don't want a light that is so bright that it would cause harm to the slide. Most people know what happens when the film gets stuck in the gate of a movie projector. The stationary frame will burn. That actually happened to me once with a super 8 movie projector. I was running a film of mine where I had shot a time lapse sunset and I watched one of the frames freeze on screen and then burn. I stopped the projector straight away.

Although I have used slide projectors in the past, Ive never taken a look inside them. Ive checked online and I notice some of them use 150w and 300w globes. Would there be any kind of diffusion panel to help project the slide? There's a youtube video on how to make a basic slide projector and they say one of the parts you need is a ground glass. But they don't actually mention how the ground glass is used. I'm assuming that the ground glass would be placed between the light source and the slide. I wonder if baking paper could be used instead as an alternative.

The slide has to be very close to the light in order to get a focused image with the lens so it would be a pretty tight space for a diffusion panel.

Last edited: