The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

Grayhand

Well, I am pleasantly surprised by the lens.
The size is perfect when the camera bag starts to get full :)
I've tried it on my XPro-2, but then we don't see the edges; on that camera, "all" lenses turn out fine. Center sharpness is very good for that price! But when I look at scanned images, even the corners are sufficient for my needs. I don't use 28mm that often, but if I start using 28mm more often, it might be a Summicron or a Elmarit 28mm in the future. But now I'm satisfied!

I have previously mainly used 120 films, such as Shanghai 100, and developed most of them in R09 stand development.

Now I develop in R09 with constant agitation for 5:30 minutes, with dramatic results in terms of grain. With the small surface, the noise becomes very dominant. I will try developing the next roll with stand development. I'm not averse to a little grain in my images, but it doesn't always turn out well when the noise starts to assume the size of pebbles.

But, it's fun to start developing again after a few years' breaks, and the Leica camera is small and easy to carry around.

Ray

Grayhand

Leica M6TTL / 50 Cron
"Home rolled" FOMAPAN 400 in R09

These photos I post here were taken over about a week's time and from the same roll of film. We had several foggy days during this period.
And it is interesting to see how completely I have failed to adapt the choice of film and developing method to these conditions!
At the same time, the film exhibits many effects from the development.
And it's been a long time since I last enjoyed my photography so much, every frame becomes a challenge to bring out the best out of them.

Ray

dave.gt

Leica M6TTL / 50 Cron

These photos I post here were taken over about a week's time and from the same roll of film. We had several foggy days during this period.
And it is interesting to see how completely I have failed to adapt the choice of film and developing method to these conditions!
And it's been a long time since I last enjoyed my photography so much, every frame becomes a challenge to bring out the best out of them.

Ray

Leica M6TTL / 50 Cron

Ray
Ray, you speak the words I have spoken the last two years. 😃

it is great to see I am not alone in appreciating a return to film photography! I enjoy not only the gear and resulting images, but probably more so the craft of making an image and developing my own film. It is a total immersion of self and very therapeutic. I find myself smiling with each successful image. 😇

It’s great seeing your posts as always!!😃

Dave

Last edited:

algrove

Well, I am pleasantly surprised by the lens.
The size is perfect when the camera bag starts to get full :)
I've tried it on my XPro-2, but then we don't see the edges; on that camera, "all" lenses turn out fine. Center sharpness is very good for that price! But when I look at scanned images, even the corners are sufficient for my needs. I don't use 28mm that often, but if I start using 28mm more often, it might be a Summicron or a Elmarit 28mm in the future. But now I'm satisfied!

I have previously mainly used 120 films, such as Shanghai 100, and developed most of them in R09 stand development.

Now I develop in R09 with constant agitation for 5:30 minutes, with dramatic results in terms of grain. With the small surface, the noise becomes very dominant. I will try developing the next roll with stand development. I'm not averse to a little grain in my images, but it doesn't always turn out well when the noise starts to assume the size of pebbles.

But, it's fun to start developing again after a few years' breaks, and the Leica camera is small and easy to carry around.

Ray
That small re-issue Summaron 28/5.6 might be a sleeper.

dave.gt

Dave
Any notes on mix, temps, agitation and times for the DD-X with the Acros II 100? I am liking how these turned out. Do you scan on an Epson?
Lou
Good morning, Lou, 🙂
Thanks, for asking, yes I have worked through months of various (but limited) films and developers. I will find some time today, in-between house cleaning and other pressing domestic chores, and I will be happy to share what works for me.

I am getting consistent results, so I feel comfortable and look forward to each roll being finished so I can begin processing. 😇

Grayhand

Ray, you speak the words I have spoken the last two years. 😃

it is great to see I am not alone in appreciating a return to film photography! I enjoy not only the gear and resulting images, but probably more so the craft of making an image and developing my own film. It is a total immersion of self and very therapeutic. I find myself smiling with each successful image. 😇

It’s great seeing your posts as always!!😃

Dave
Thanks, Dave!

Yes, it is the process that is interesting.
For me, the basic moment of photography just became the starting point.
I do not primarily a photographer in the sense of forensic documentation.
My interest is to build a picture as an interpretation of what I see in front of me when I press the shutter.
And from that point of view, the 35mm format feels much more liberating compare to my work with medium and large format film.
My demands on myself rise with the area of the film. And also the weight of the equipment I have to carry with me..

It is all about fun and creativity!

Ray

dave.gt

Ray,

I have a few rolls of film waiting to be developed. And a few rolls to finish shooting.
I can’t wait to get things settled down around here so I can get back to that.

I am inspired by your work here to look for landscapes to shoot with the M2 (and a couple of other cameras I’m using, 2 Nikkornats and a Nikon F100).

For some reason, I have not thought of doing anything similar to the beautiful landscapes like you are sharing. Perhaps the weather and your skill can not be duplicated here but I think I will start thinking black and white landscapes… that is something I have not done much!😇😇😇

dave.gt

A little fun with my two favorite cameras….comparing the Leica M2 , 50/1.4 and the Leica S 006 Vario 30-90mm. “Wide open” and no strict protocol, just real world shooting. Same location. Different day. Different lighting. But in the end what I base my decisions on when selecting what, how, and when to shoot.😂😂😂

Leica M2:
Bird Plant Hangar rev by Leica M2 2023.jpeg

Leica S 006 (@60mm, f4.9, BW conversion/cropped):
Bird Flower Pot Hangar by Leica S 2023.jpeg

Grayhand

Ray,

I have a few rolls of film waiting to be developed. And a few rolls to finish shooting.
I can’t wait to get things settled down around here so I can get back to that.

I am inspired by your work here to look for landscapes to shoot with the M2 (and a couple of other cameras I’m using, 2 Nikkornats and a Nikon F100).

For some reason, I have not thought of doing anything similar to the beautiful landscapes like you are sharing. Perhaps the weather and your skill can not be duplicated here but I think I will start thinking black and white landscapes… that is something I have not done much!😇😇😇
Hi Dave!

Always nice to inspire someone (y)
The result of many of my pictures is always to try to bring a camera.
Then Iat least have a chance to take a good photo when the opportunity presents itself!
I am rather new to using a 35mm film camera for landscape; it has always been a medium format camera that I have been dragging with me.

I turned 69 not long ago, and I now focus more on what is in front of me instead of staging some kind of large expedition with half of my camera gear with me.
So my M6 and 4 small lenses are no burden compared to the +15 kg and tripod I used to always bring.

The next step is to try some experiments with the M6 and some exposure in the 0.5 to 5 seconds range.

In my freezer, I have enough film to last me the rest of my life, and R09 is not expensive, so no excuses :cool:

Ray

dave.gt

Ray, you described your evolution in photography well, and, I suspect many experience similar changes as time goes on.🙂

My photography journey in life as well, has been evolving noticeably as life changes have occurred.

There is a certain beauty in my returning to 35mm film, which is of course, where I began with my own personal camera that I used for family photos and my graduate work at university. Medium format, either film or digital, is where my heart lies and “forever will”. And yet, there is now the total immersion opportunity for me with the smaller film format. It is both the experience of crafting a film image with each deliberate step, and the gear which fits into my daily life, as you mentioned, because I can carry it with me everywhere.

I started out with only a single 35mm camera and one lens that I carried with me everyday. 😇

These days, things are more sophisticated, as in complex, and more nuanced toward pairing the gear available with the tasks ahead. The Leica S 006 is perfect for my work with digital, primarily color work. But my recent return to 35mm film photography is a significant evolution for me allowing to apply my learned skills to a smaller format that is with me every single day… it is my own personal therapy. 😃

So…. A nice symmetrical set of film work “bookends” on my shelf of life experiences in photography. 😇

In between, oh how sweet it is, and has been, and I could not be more delighted.

On the fly:

Leica M2, 50/1.4
Acros II 100, DD-X:
Town Car Hood by Leica M2 2023.jpeg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Btw, smaller format is liberating as you know. I prefer handheld, whether shooting with a small camera or a medium format camera. I love grabbing moments on the fly which can only happen if you have a camera with you.