The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

Duff photographer

My question about why some posters will not even consider a paid model (whatever form it takes) remains. After all, we have all spent tens of thousands on gear over the years (some way more than that!). A modest amount per annum to cover the essential aspect of learning how to use one's gear better, and to learn the myriad aspects that go to making a better image, seems reasonable to me.

Long answer:

I think Olaf's model of donation is the best way forward and I laud his reasons for doing so.

...and no, we all haven't spent tens of thousands on gear. We're not all 'well off'. :p

Not everyone who visits this forum has the financial clout that some do. Due to the current economic situation, exacerbated by the actions to stem the spread of Co-19, some photographers, professional and amateur alike, are suffering financially. I know a photographer who has no more than £100 in the bank so she is very unlikely to consider a subscription to anything. I myself am stuck in a country I can't afford to get out of at the moment. Thankfully, I have a lens I can sell to get out (I hope, eventually).

Admittedly, photographers in such dire financial straits are not going to be visiting forums much as they have more important things to consider and will neither have the time or opportunity, but they should not be inadvertently excluded on the principle that they have no money.

If those that visit this site regularly, get a lot out of it, and are financially very secure then they are free to donate.

In case someone is thinking 'freeloader' in regard to those that don't donate, I should also add that those who are not financially well off (think mostly pro's in this regard) may also be amongst those that are able to provide information that many amateurs and maybe a few pro's seek. I myself am a pro' (a very poor pro) so I'm more likely to provide information. My speciality is macro and wildlife (30 years worth) and I know what I'm doing (I think) and I'm really good at it (so I've been told). I must admit I haven't seen many questions on those subjects here, but if I saw them I would assist the best I can. If this site became a paid site then I would not be able to do so.

I also have a very personal opinion. I believe access to knowledge and understanding should be free in the great scheme of things. I have no problem supplying my knowledge and understanding to others for free, and it ranges from how to do algebra to stripping down a car engine to explaining the best way to photograph a tiger beetle. However, I'd be damned annoyed if someone told me I had to pay to provide that knowledge.

Short answer:

1. Many photographers are poor.
2. None want to pay to provide their knowledge.

All the best,
Duff.

Last edited:

pegelli

Can those who have written, "I could never support a paid site" PLEASE explain why? Do you expect admins to give time and effort gratis? Do you give your own expertise and time in your own fields for nothing? Honestly, I simply do not understand this attitude, and would like to.
With all due respect I think you're asking the wrong question, I've seen very few people who don't want to pay. I think the discussion was more between an open site which lives by donations or a closed site only accessible/visible for people who pay a periodic membership fee.

IMHO the second model is doomed to die due to an ever decreasing number of members and useful (technical and photographic) contributions.

That's why I'm in favour of the other model, biggest guarantee to keep attracting (new) members to keep the site alive, in all aspects (technically, photographically and financially)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I'm overjoyed!! I'd like to add my thanks to Jack, Bob and Guy for creating and maintaining this site for so many years. I first learned about medium format photography on this site and have been financially strained ever since. :ROTFL:

Welcome Olaf to what has been a very civil and information-rich set of forums, quite unlike many on the Web. With many/most of us in some form of stay-at-home configuration for the foreseeable future, GetDPI has been a refuge to divert our attention from the devastating reports coming from around the world during the pandemic. So this news couldn't have come at a better time (for me). The members have become my friends, even though I've only met a few in person. We share the same goal - enjoyment of photography. May the joy continue!

Stay safe and be well,

Joe
Thank you so much for your kind note. I am looking forward to your posts and ideas. Let's do it together :)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Does this mean you would have to be a subscriber to Medium Format Magazine to access the forum? Their subscription price for the magazine is very high
not at all. It remains free to all members. Having said that, each subscription helps to support the forum :)

spb

Staff member
I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee. I know HTML and website building but not vbulletin board so I my skillset is not up to it, not helped by using Rapidweaver for many years. I am subscribing to MF magazine though.

schuster

...shoot email message to all registered members for at least onetime contribution?
Good idea! I didn't know the site was in trouble 'til today, Sep 15th, when I just happened upon this thread. Over the years, I've donated a few times, just to say "Thanks" but never got responses that the payment was received. I had to go to my online card account to see that it posted.

I was among the first couple of dozen participants in Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape, back in pre-Web days when it was a BBS (Bulletin Board System). Michael did wonderful gear reviews, editorials, and supported much of his writing with his gorgeous photographs. After transitioning to the Web, he started doing workshops at various locations in the US, Canada, Iceland and other places, and the site grew enormously. After Michael's heartbreaking passing, a few years ago, it went to a very affordable subscription service that I was happy to pay. I certainly would be happy to pay here too, especially since I come here much more often.

Reactions: B L

B L

but never got responses that the payment was received. I had to go to my online card account to see that it post
I never got any reply. I assume because when we make donations using bank tranfer,paypal or any other methods, we can only use ID details we provided to institutions and with public forums we often use all kinds of names and titles which makes too difficult for forum admins to identify who the donor was! But I agree forum can acknowlegde by sending automated response to donors if they provided email info when making donation. I think we must make whatever affordable financial contribition to help it going.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I never got any reply. I assume because when we make donations using bank tranfer,paypal or any other methods, we can only use ID details we provided to institutions and with public forums we often use all kinds of names and titles which makes too difficult for forum admins to identify who the donor was! But I agree forum can acknowlegde by sending automated response to donors if they provided email info when making donation. I think we must make whatever affordable financial contribition to help it going.
We are very thankful for your support. We have sent out the "THANK YOU" emails but during our migration some could get lost or never arrive at the destination. We are revamping our email system and you should receive an email from us shortly. Once again, thank you so much for your support.

darr

I too never received a Thank You acknowledgment after I recently sent a donation. I thought it was odd bc in the past, I always received a personal note of thanks from Bob or Jack.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I too never received a Thank You acknowledgment after I recently sent a donation. I thought it was odd bc in the past, I always received a personal note of thanks from Bob or Jack.
If this is the case I sincerely apologize. I guess I am working on too many issues at once. We are very thankful for your support. We have sent out the "THANK YOU" emails but during our migration some could get lost or never arrive at the destination. We are revamping our email system and you should receive an email from us shortly. Once again, thank you so much for your support.

darr

If this is the case I sincerely apologize. I guess I am working on too many issues at once. We are very thankful for your support. We have sent out the "THANK YOU" emails but during our migration some could get lost or never arrive at the destination. We are revamping our email system and you should receive an email from us shortly. Once again, thank you so much for your support.

You are certainly welcome Olaf.

I figured y'all are juggling a lot and getting your feet wet in some areas maybe for the first time.
Do know that I am very grateful for all the effort and expense you and your team have put into this site.

Kind regards,
Darr

AlanS

Would just like to say that I recieved a "thankyou" email, which was greatly appreciated! I would just add that although I don't say much, I do appreciate the work that you and the team are putting into this Olaf.
Regards,
Alan.