The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

gerald.d

I don't find it hard to ignore certain posts and don't use the ignore function on the forum.

I think this describes my philosophy in that:
<snip>

Also in the past several dealers were site sponsors, so I think they did contribute to the site financially.
The key phrase being "in the past". And when they withdrew their sponsorship, it was no longer viable for those behind this site to continue running it. Which is precisely what has led us to this juncture.

When dealers are helping to fund the site, then perhaps it is arguably just a little less unpalatable to endure some of the blatant promotion.

But when they withdraw that funding and continue the same posting "strategy"? Not so agreeable.

Just one example -

In this thread, there are a total of 83 posts. 21 of those from Doug, even though he openly admits that his company's solution is not suitable for the original poster, and I rather suspect it is not suitable for a single independent photographer visiting this forum.

In those 21 posts are 59 separate links to his company.

Yes. I counted.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

darr

Just one example -

In this thread, there are a total of 83 posts. 21 of those from Doug, even though he openly admits that his company's solution is not suitable for the original poster, and I rather suspect it is not suitable for a single independent photographer visiting this forum.

Yes. I counted.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
The intention was selling disguised as helping. Never quotes a price when asked multiple times, no, must call for price which is the goal. Just a whole lot of sales pitching, disagreeing with others and arrogance. All for what? So he got his links archived and the forum gets nothing. Well I got a bit frustrated so I did leave the thread with more than I came with. :(

pegelli

The key phrase being "in the past". And when they withdrew their sponsorship, it was no longer viable for those behind this site to continue running it. Which is precisely what has led us to this juncture.

When dealers are helping to fund the site, then perhaps it is arguably just a little less unpalatable to endure some of the blatant promotion.

But when they withdraw that funding and continue the same posting "strategy"? Not so agreeable.

Just one example -

Yes. I counted.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
During the thread in which you were counting they were still sponsors, but that's not the point I was trying to make:

The point is that the title of this thread is "How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive" and it now evolved into I don't want Mr. "X" to do "Y". I think it's off topic, creates negative energy and i.m.o. doesn't do anything to keep GetDPI stay alive.

My advice is just take Kermit's advice, have a cup of tea, ignore Mr "X" and scroll down to the next post.

Btw, I also clearly see the backhand sales pitches but just think "why bother" and move on.

I think it's time to start posting some further positive actions to help GetDPI stay alive, for me that's orders of magnitude more important and enjoyable.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I truly appreciate all your feedback. I am listening and taking notes! Lots of work is going on behind closed doors and significant human resources are being put to work here. We are in the midst of the transition period, which will probably take another week or so. When we start working on some changes I will start a new thread or/and provide you with numerous channels to share your thoughts, concerns and ideas freely and comfortably. For now it is important that we remain calm, measured and nurture what we have here. After all, to stay alive, we need to grow or, at least, not to lose members. This transition is taking place in a very difficult time (COVID-19). Therefore, emotions could run high, I absolutely understand this (I am not without blame :) but we WE WILL DO IT. Thank you so much for all your ideas and unwavering support. I should be able to have more information for you shortly. P.S. I am getting more involved in some threads. If you notice I post something incorrectly from a technical perspective please feel free to let me know. I am learning :) Cheers!

anyone

Well, on that particular thread on camera scanning mentioned the advertising was sort of extreme. I tried to bring it back on topic by summarizing what actually seemed helpful information to me (even though I own a drum scanner and am happy with it).

Concerning the future: It's great to see that there is work on it ongoing, and I'm sure it's much more than we can imagine from a user point of view, so thank you for that! I am curious, albeit I have to say the current forum works quite well for me

fotoism

I truly appreciate all your feedback. I am listening and taking notes! Lots of work is going on behind closed doors and significant human resources are being put to work here. We are in the midst of the transition period, which will probably take another week or so. When we start working on some changes I will start a new thread or/and provide you with numerous channels to share your thoughts, concerns and ideas freely and comfortably. For now it is important that we remain calm, measured and nurture what we have here. After all, to stay alive, we need to grow or, at least, not to lose members. This transition is taking place in a very difficult time (COVID-19). Therefore, emotions could run high, I absolutely understand this (I am not without blame :) but we WE WILL DO IT. Thank you so much for all your ideas and unwavering support. I should be able to have more information for you shortly. P.S. I am getting more involved in some threads. If you notice I post something incorrectly from a technical perspective please feel free to let me know. I am learning :) Cheers!

I can finally sleep well through the night, and look forward to waking up in a glorious morning starting a brand new day with a refreshed GetDPI.

My most sincere THANK YOU to Olaf and his team.

gerald.d

The point is that the title of this thread is "How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive" and it now evolved into I don't want Mr. "X" to do "Y". I think it's off topic, creates negative energy and i.m.o. doesn't do anything to keep GetDPI stay alive.
What creates negative energy is twisting the words of people into things they haven't said.

I made it very clear from the outset that I believe this to be an area that could be looked at in order to generate much needed revenue for the forum.

If it's ok with you for me to have an opinion and express it, my preference would for there to not be a free-for-all where anyone can promote their business without the forum having any benefit.

I of course respect that you may take the position that permitting dealers to swamp the forum with free advertising will help it stay alive, but I think you are sorely mistaken.

pegelli

What creates negative energy is twisting the words of people into things they haven't said.

I made it very clear from the outset that I believe this to be an area that could be looked at in order to generate much needed revenue for the forum.

If it's ok with you for me to have an opinion and express it, my preference would for there to not be a free-for-all where anyone can promote their business without the forum having any benefit.

I of course respect that you may take the position that permitting dealers to swamp the forum with free advertising will help it stay alive, but I think you are sorely mistaken.
About twisting words:
I never said you weren't allowed to express your opinion, I just said what I thought about it and expressed my opinion on it.

I never said I was OK for dealers to swamp the forum with advertising, I just said that when they occasionally do post on the line my reaction is "why bother" and move on.

I said that most dealers who were posting in the topic you counted were active sponsors at the time this happened, but in your selective quote/answer you left this point out.

But now I'll have a cup of tea and move on, too much negative energy spent on this already.

Happy shooting and long live GetDPI.

JoelM

Hmmm, that stuff never bothered me and I let it run off as Pegelli mentioned. What does grind a bit is someone who posts the same bloody, even though it's really nice, picture in 4-6 different forums because it was shot on this camera with this lens and has a dog, trees, people, and a car in the background. It's frustrating to see the same pick and it is a waste of the forum's storage space, imho.

Joel

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, that stuff never bothered me and I let it run off as Pegelli mentioned. What does grind a bit is someone who posts the same bloody, even though it's really nice, picture in 4-6 different forums because it was shot on this camera with this lens and has a dog, trees, people, and a car in the background. It's frustrating to see the same pick and it is a waste of the forum's storage space, imho.

Joel
Well, this forum has always been about photos primarily and cameras/technology secondarily.
Post your photos please, that is what we are all about.
thanks
-bob

gerald.d

Joel
You can rest easy because your concern is misplaced - it doesn't waste the forum's storage space.

Either the image is hosted elsewhere, in which case it is served by the remote website (so not only is there no forum storage space utilised, but also no forum bandwidth used either), or, if it is uploaded to the user's gallery that is hosted on this site and then attached to a post, then it only needs to be uploaded once, and can then be attached to as many posts as desired, with each post pointing to the same file on the server.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello forum users

Since a couple of days I get no more e-Mail notification for the threads I have subscribed to .
If I go to settings in my profile I find all subscribed thread notifications disabled .
I can set them on again , but they get wiped out again shortly after .
Is this due to the GetDPI transfer to Medium Format Forum ? Or is this a bug I can not fix ? ? ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A while ago I posted a bit of a negative thread about mediumformat.com but the reality is that a week later I subscribed. Lots of good info there.

well worth a look and subscription if this is your thing.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A while ago I posted a bit of a negative thread about mediumformat.com but the reality is that a week later I subscribed. Lots of good info there.

well worth a look and subscription if this is your thing.

@steve / @doug please stay ...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello Graham

No that is not my thing . I made a mistake here .
I mean Medium Format Magazine . Should I address this to BOB or JACK ? ? ?

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello forum users

Since a couple of days I get no more e-Mail notification for the threads I have subscribed to .
If I go to settings in my profile I find all subscribed thread notifications disabled .
I can set them on again , but they get wiped out again shortly after .
Is this due to the GetDPI transfer to Medium Format Forum ? Or is this a bug I can not fix ? ? ?
Hello Jurgen,

We are not in the midst of the transition and there are some disruptions possible. Please let me investigate this issue and I will get back to you. Thank you for your patience.

Godfrey

I just reviewed the whole thread again, after being away from it for a few days.

Welcome, Olaf! and thank you for stepping in with Jack and Bob to take on GetDPI!

I've been shooting medium format film for eons, just received my first medium format digital camera (Hasselblad 907x Special Edition) and am delighted with it! I'm particularly delighted that can just swap the back onto my 500CM bodies and do photography the classic way. My friend David Hibbard recently let me know about Medium Format Magazine: I was already thinking of subscribing ... This thread has reminded me. Time to click the button!

My photography going forward is going to remain a mix of formats and types ... I still shoot film, both instant and regular process, in various formats (Minox submini to 6x6 with Hasselblad and others). And I have settled happily on the Leica CL APS-C and the Hasselblad 33x44 format digital cameras, although I still have a couple of FourThirds format digital cameras.

I look forward to seeing GetDPI flourish further. Jack and Bob have done an amazing job with it for a very long time, it is great to hear that someone else who feels for it will take up the reins and keep it going forward. I will be happy to offer a donation to help with updating and transfer, as means permit.

Great stuff, really! You've all made my day. :D

G

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I just reviewed the whole thread again, after being away from it for a few days.

Welcome, Olaf! and thank you for stepping in with Jack and Bob to take on GetDPI!

I've been shooting medium format film for eons, just received my first medium format digital camera (Hasselblad 907x Special Edition) and am delighted with it! I'm particularly delighted that can just swap the back onto my 500CM bodies and do photography the classic way. My friend David Hibbard recently let me know about Medium Format Magazine: I was already thinking of subscribing ... This thread has reminded me. Time to click the button!

My photography going forward is going to remain a mix of formats and types ... I still shoot film, both instant and regular process, in various formats (Minox submini to 6x6 with Hasselblad and others). And I have settled happily on the Leica CL APS-C and the Hasselblad 33x44 format digital cameras, although I still have a couple of FourThirds format digital cameras.

I look forward to seeing GetDPI flourish further. Jack and Bob have done an amazing job with it for a very long time, it is great to hear that someone else who feels for it will take up the reins and keep it going forward. I will be happy to offer a donation to help with updating and transfer, as means permit.

Great stuff, really! You've all made my day. :D

G
Thank you so much for your support and kind word. Great to be here!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

I appreciate all your ideas and I would like to share some additional thoughts and plans. Please make sure to read my previous update below in this thread!!!

We are in the midst of the transition period, which will probably take another week or so. I am listening to all your thoughts and ideas and it is wonderful to get to know you. Some of you have contacted me directly with offers of help. It means so much.

There is no question that some changes need to be made. We will start with a software upgrade and, as discussed with Jack and Bob, we may go with the Cloud version. This is going to be a major undertaking. We really don’t have much choice, as the longer we run on older software the more incompatible we will become with the world updating around us.

As far as design changes, there will be no “revolution” but the look of the website will change based on the newest version of the same platform. We will be doing some customisation, of course. Again, we don’t aim at “revolution” but some change is inevitable. Making any changes, especially to such an iconic site which you have enjoyed for so long, are not always easy. I know that. I have my own routine on my computer and I really dislike upgrades. It changes my flow and I need to learn the new way, something I don’t have time to do. It is often the case that once we go through the changes, once we learn this “NEW” way, we actually enjoy it. My objective is to allow access to the platform from mobile devices using apps as well.

We need to do this for two reasons. First, as I mentioned, we have to upgrade to a newer version. Second, more importantly, WE HAVE TO ATTRACT NEW USERS otherwise, as a platform, we will fade away. I am well aware of the risk here. Once we have new and younger members, the dynamics might change on the forum but I am sure we, as a community, can deal with it. To stay alive, we need to grow or, at least, not to lose members.

As stated in my previous post, we won’t go with a subscription option, but some ideas mentioned here could be introduced at some point, for example, a fee for commercial entities operating on the site or/and a small fee for gear sale postings.

As mentioned, especially at this initial stage, your help will be crucial. Soon you will find a DONATE button on the right side of the page so we would appreciate your support, especially in these early days.

I am in touch with Jack and Bob and I am sure they will share their advice and thoughts as they can. There is no question that they “feel” this community much better than I do at the moment, so their opinions carry extra weight in our decision-making process.

In short, thank you so much for all your ideas and unwavering support. I am listening and taking notes! Lots of work is going on behind closed doors and significant human resources are being put to work here.

Warm Regards and until the next update,

Cheers, Olaf