The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

Pemihan

This is such great news! As many have said thanks to Jack and Bob and of course also Guy. And also a very warm welcome to Olaf. :clap:

pegelli

Third, we all know that we have to make it work by making the website more modern and manageable to attract new users. Jack and Bob have done a marvellous job and during our conversations it became apparent that many steps must be taken to ensure the longevity and success of this forum. Therefore, we need to organize as many human and financial resources as we can. I personally asked my small team at the Medium Format Magazine to help and invest our limited resources in this project, but we will need your help as well, most likely by a PayPal or similar link for voluntary donations. It is no secret that I am drawing resources from the Medium Format Magazine and those of you who subscribe to the magazine are also supporting this community. It is a fact. I am counting on you especially at this initial stage.
Thanks for stepping in and the elaborate intro Olaf, I have a lot of confidence that GetDPI will stay the course. I very much like it will stay a free site with voluntary donations. I'm part of the organisation of another photography website that is also financed with that principle and the experience is that the donations and Google ads (only seen by non-members/lurkers, as soon as you're a member and logged in they don't show anymore) more than cover the running cost and we even have a small surplus to give out token prizes for competitions or small gifts for the team of volunteer moderators/administrators. All members donate according to their means and what it's worth to them and we never have to ask for it, the money just keeps flowing in.

Only question for you is to get this Paypal link for GetDPI up, I have promised to support the site financially and I want to make good on that promise, better strike the iron when it's hot. Reading the comments in this and other threads on the subject I think a lot of people want to do the same and having a bit of a financial buffer can be a good help to kick off all the plans you have in mind for the site.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for stepping in and the elaborate intro Olaf, I have a lot of confidence that GetDPI will stay the course. I very much like it will stay a free site with voluntary donations. I'm part of the organisation of another photography website that is also financed with that principle and the experience is that the donations and Google ads (only seen by non-members/lurkers, as soon as you're a member and logged in they don't show anymore) more than cover the running cost and we even have a small surplus to give out token prizes for competitions or small gifts for the team of volunteer moderators/administrators. All members donate according to their means and what it's worth to them and we never have to ask for it, the money just keeps flowing in.

Only question for you is to get this Paypal link for GetDPI up, I have promised to support the site financially and I want to make good on that promise, better strike the iron when it's hot. Reading the comments in this and other threads on the subject I think a lot of people want to do the same and having a bit of a financial buffer can be a good help to kick off all the plans you have in mind for the site.
Appreciate your thoughts and kind welcome. Yes, we are working on it.

Shashin

Thank you so much Jack for your warm welcome. I am very excited to be a part of this iconic community and becoming a custodian of its tradition of cooperation, exchange of ideas and friendship. With your direction and advice I am looking forward to make this transition smooth and fruitful. It is a very great pleasure to be here. Greetings to everyone.
Thank you for supporting our community and continuing the work Jack, Bob, and Guy started. This is very much appreciated.

Shashin

Thank you so much Bob and jack for keeping this going - I would really have missed my friends on here.

As the ex-chairman of our Parish Council in the UK (you yanks wouldn't know what that was ;) ) I empathise with
why after all this time at the helm, you probably feel the way you do.

Welcome Olaf ...... but I'm somebody who gave up on medium format many years ago in favour of micro four thirds,
and here's why :grin::rolleyes::ROTFL::p :

They photography is a medium, but that is a large!

darr

Jack, Bob and Guy,
Thank you for all your generosity and hard work you unselfishly gifted this community over the years. This forum is a success because of your direction and leadership. Your personalities will be greatly missed from the day to day activities, but your retirement from these duties is understandable. Thank you for adding to the art of photography in my life.

Olaf,
Congratulations on acquiring the greatest photography forum on the web. You have BIG shoes to fill, but many good people here will be helpful, including me. I normally give my donation during the December holiday season, but that can change if needed. Thank you for picking up the reins and keeping this community intact.

Kind regards,
Darr

biglouis

I echo everyone's thanks to Jack, Bob and Guy for their work over the years.

This is such a great forum and I've had such good advice and community over the years I would be very sad to see it go away.

My only concern is whether I will be sucked back into MF film photography, a medium I absolutely love but decided for practical reasons to stop only a few years ago.

I look forward to the future with the new management

LouisB

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Jack, Bob and Guy,
Thank you for all your generosity and hard work you unselfishly gifted this community over the years. This forum is a success because of your direction and leadership. Your personalities will be greatly missed from the day to day activities, but your retirement from these duties is understandable. Thank you for adding to the art of photography in my life.

Olaf,
Congratulations on acquiring the greatest photography forum on the web. You have BIG shoes to fill, but many good people here will be helpful, including me. I normally give my donation during the December holiday season, but that can change if needed. Thank you for picking up the reins and keeping this community intact.

Kind regards,
Darr
Thank you so much for your warm welcome.

KeithL

I can only echo the thanks expressed here to Jack, Guy and Bob and of course welcome Olaf and give him my sincere thanks for allowing this special forum to continue and thrive.

A UK doorstep round of applause to you all!

Keith

jdphoto

As mentioned, it's the tech support that's needed. Perhaps donations could be made to hire needed tech or hosting services. Moderators could be anyone here. Also, for a revenue stream, adapt a Buy/Sell model like FM. $15 dollars a month is cheap for advertising considering there's no seller fees.
Lastly, perhaps a new look or name, but keeping the same format, features and ultimately users. Imo, "GetDPI" is not the most intuitive name for a photography based website. Key wording is essential for driving traffic with favorable metrics as Getdpi also relates to syntax used for utility coding in in Windows based computers. Something with the actual word "photography" would increase search results and favorable metrics, which would increase with use and bring advertisers to the site.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it's the tech support that's needed. Perhaps donations could be made to hire needed tech or hosting services. Moderators could be anyone here. Also, for a revenue stream, adapt a Buy/Sell model like FM. $15 dollars a month is cheap for advertising considering there's no seller fees.
Lastly, perhaps a new look or name, but keeping the same format, features and ultimately users. Imo, "GetDPI" is not the most intuitive name for a photography based website. Key wording is essential for driving traffic with favorable metrics as Getdpi also relates to syntax used for utility coding in in Windows based computers. Something with the actual word "photography" would increase search results and favorable metrics, which would increase with use and bring advertisers to the site.
Thank you for your ideas. We always appreciate them.

gerald.d

Sincere thanks to Jack, Guy, Bob, and anyone else who has devoted so much to this forum over the years.

Also sincere thanks to Olaf for stepping in to take over the reins. We had a scary couple of days there, but things are definitely looking up.

Plenty have conveyed my same feelings far more eloquently than I ever could in the above comments, so I will leave it at that.

On the subject of funding, perhaps I might be so bold as to make a suggestion.

In the past, commercial enterprises supported this forum through banner adverts. Those swiftly disappeared with the current crisis, and that loss of revenue seems to have been the trigger for what has transpired.

In these difficult times - difficult times for the forum, difficult times for those who have spent years running it, and difficult times for many of the forums' members - commercial enterprises continue to use this place heavily to promote their businesses - by both directly attempting to encourage regular forum members to buy from them at every opportunity that presents itself; and also with signatures that include details of, and links to, their businesses. In addition, those commercial businesses also denigrate regular forum members who deign to provide friendly advice to their fellow photographers.

All this, whilst having - no doubt for very sound business reasons - withdrawn their sponsorship of the site.

Perhaps now would be a good time to reconsider whether such promotion should be allowed gratis?

Possibly there could be a category of membership for commercial businesses, with those accounts subject to a monthly fee in exchange for the considerable promotion they gain from the site, or perhaps even a fee based on the number of links they post, or clickthroughs they get, to their own sites?

anyone

I actually kinda like the name. It's quite descriptive after all, when seeking for the highest image quality possible (and well, there is quite a bunch of us actually pursuing that goal in one way or another) :)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Sincere thanks to Jack, Guy, Bob, and anyone else who has devoted so much to this forum over the years.

Also sincere thanks to Olaf for stepping in to take over the reins. We had a scary couple of days there, but things are definitely looking up.

Plenty have conveyed my same feelings far more eloquently than I ever could in the above comments, so I will leave it at that.

On the subject of funding, perhaps I might be so bold as to make a suggestion.

In the past, commercial enterprises supported this forum through banner adverts. Those swiftly disappeared with the current crisis, and that loss of revenue seems to have been the trigger for what has transpired.

In these difficult times - difficult times for the forum, difficult times for those who have spent years running it, and difficult times for many of the forums' members - commercial enterprises continue to use this place heavily to promote their businesses - by both directly attempting to encourage regular forum members to buy from them at every opportunity that presents itself; and also with signatures that include details of, and links to, their businesses. In addition, those commercial businesses also denigrate regular forum members who deign to provide friendly advice to their fellow photographers.

All this, whilst having - no doubt for very sound business reasons - withdrawn their sponsorship of the site.

Perhaps now would be a good time to reconsider whether such promotion should be allowed gratis?

Possibly there could be a category of membership for commercial businesses, with those accounts subject to a monthly fee in exchange for the considerable promotion they gain from the site, or perhaps even a fee based on the number of links they post, or clickthroughs they get, to their own sites?
Thank you so much Gerald for your thoughts and ideas. We are listening carefully and once we complete the transition process, I will be reaching out to the community with some proposals.

Thorkil

just to say, I'm only an architect, not a photographer, but I do think one should perhaps be very careful changing the visual and functioning setup here. Perhaps young ones will think it looks old fashioned, I don't know. But seeing all over homepages changes from well-functioning pages with clear layout which is fast to overlook, has a nice presence often, tells what it has to tell, unfortunately changes to something fancy smartness-minded, where you don't get the clear overlook at once, can't find things quick, where smart look is rather disturbing for the mind - perhaps thought as drawing needed attention, but turns out to be annoying in practice - I will just say, be careful, and rather be conservative than "innovative", if innovation has the contrary effect, of what intended.
This site has a very clear look, clear over-look, a nice visual modest approach, modest pleasing colors which all together calm the eye and the mind..not that changes can't take place, but be careful with "revolution", design-wise..
:rolleyes:

dj may

Good advice. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
just to say, I'm only an architect, not a photographer, but I do think one should perhaps be very careful changing the visual and functioning setup here. Perhaps young ones will think it looks old fashioned, I don't know. But seeing all over homepages changes from well-functioning pages with clear layout which is fast to overlook, has a nice presence often, tells what it has to tell, unfortunately changes to something fancy smartness-minded, where you don't get the clear overlook at once, can't find things quick, where smart look is rather disturbing for the mind - perhaps thought as drawing needed attention, but turns out to be annoying in practice - I will just say, be careful, and rather be conservative than "innovative", if innovation has the contrary effect, of what intended.
This site has a very clear look, clear over-look, a nice visual modest approach, modest pleasing colors which all together calm the eye and the mind..not that changes can't take place, but be careful with "revolution", design-wise..
:rolleyes:

MCTuomey

Big thanks to Jack, Guy, and Bob for everything they've done to make this board the welcoming, positive forum it has been for so many like-minded photographers. And thanks to Olaf for his commitment to continue GetDPI's tradition and ethos.

Once the Paypal link is live, please let everyone know. Very pleased to be able to support Olaf's agenda.

glennedens

Thank you Jack, Bob and Guy for your wonderful creation of GetDPI and the community that it created. GetDPI is often my first stop in the morning with my coffee before officially starting the day. I've learned so much here, bought and sold gear and I treasure the friendships and spirit of craft and art. Jack, Bob and Guy you have made my life better for the last decades, or so, that I've been a member.

Olaf thank you for taking the project on, and I just subscribed to Medium Format magazine, which I've been meaning to do for ages.

I'd like to second the thought shared earlier about the inevitable redesign of the site as it moves to new servers, client-side javascript, frameworks and other supporting software - I am a photographer, once architect, and also a designer (have many things in MoMA and other museums so I can speak with a tiny tiny tiny bit of authority) - please lets not follow the trend of many (most?) of the twenty-something designers who seem hell-bent on creating sites of mostly white space, gray thin fonts that can't be read and navigation systems that would better fit an online first-person shooter game :). The simplicity and readability of GetDPI is one of its many major strengths and may well be an underlying engine of the engaging and respectful community that Jack, Bob and Guy brought into the digital photography world.

Again Olaf my sincere thanks for enabling GetDPI to continue. Jack, Bob and Guy you have my eternal gratitude. We are all so lucky!

Kind regards,

Glenn Edens