The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do you pack your tech cam when outdoors?

Massive Si

I'm trying to get out and about a bit more with my WRS and I am wondering what people do about transporting to/from your shooting spot
I only have one lens (the 35XL)

do you leave everything connected in your bag? The Lens and DB I mean? or do you transport everything separately and connect when you are ready to setup?

my concerns are:

1) I had to remove the bars from the lens in order to fit my Lee filter system, as it screws into the lens. This means my lens is more exposed to accidental damage
2) I have to attach/remove the filter holder to replace the lens cap which is a bit annoying. I would prefer to keep the filter holder ring on my lens, but then I cant protect the glass with the lens cap during transportation
3) I am sure I read somewhere that you shouldnt transport the tech cam with DB and Lens attached - is this really a problem?
4) If I connect on location, I run a greater risk of accidents (dropping the back or lens) and/or introducing dust/dirt into the system
5) I dont really have a great way to carry the tech cam in my backpack. I would love a nice snug holder for the cam with DB and Lens attached. ideally a cross between a small light backpack, with a foam cutout similar to pelican cases

what do you do when using tech cams for landscape use?

for clarity: when I say 'connect' I dont mean the cables - I mean attaching the back and lens to the wrs body.
thanks

Greg Haag

Originally, I kept everything separate and assembled on location, now I have back, body and lens attached. I generally know what my primary shooting objective for my first image is and travel with that lens attached. I have it in my backpack set in a bed of foam that I have cut to fit. I would guess I have hiked 200 miles or so and have not had any issues so far.

Paul2660

I leave the DB on the tech camera, in this case Arca rm3di. The lens mount for the Arca takes a 105mm lens cap that fits inside the mount. So I always pull the lens off and place the cap in the opening. The lenses I carry in plastic cases, clear plastic storage containers, no foam in the containers as the lenses fit tight inside. These are water proof to spills and splashes, etc. Each lens has the Arca mount.

The only issue I have with the tech camera is the height makes it so that many backpacks are too short in height to carry the camera in the vertical, so it needs to be laid down, which takes up more space. I have found a couple of Lowe Pro packs that allow the rm3di to be stored vertically which I prefer.

Paul

vieri

I leave my Phase One XT + IQ4 + Rodenstock 23mm (or whichever lens I believe will be more useful for my selected location) assembled and ready to go, and carry what other lenses I need in my Tilopa 50L bag. The combination is very compact, there are no cables and add-ons that I need to worry about, and fits perfectly in a Pro Large ICU. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri

stngoldberg

I travel (walk around) with my camera and lens and back assembled on my arca rm3di except for the cables which I attach on location.
I carry a small backpack containing my Leica distance instrument along with my plastic square for the LCC’S Plus spare batteries and my focus card.
In the pack I also have a small flashlight for dusk/night images.
Since I always need a tripod and with the assembled camera on a strap on my shoulder and the small pack on my back..walking around with my technical camera is NOT convenient. Nevertheless when I arrive at my destination and setup my equipment, the ability to compose, stitch, extend focus is worth the extra effort
Stanley

Geoff

Set up the backpack for two ways:
- when getting to the site for shooting, things are separated, typically in a small case for each. Compact and secure.
- when shooting and traveling locally by foot or car, typically keep it all assembled (lens, body, back). Sometimes keep camera with back and lens on the tripod, and carry it over the shoulder or rest it loose in the car, but more often, take place the camera loosely in a large open spot in the backpack, for easy (fast) withdrawal.

In hindsight, this makes some sense. However, I've long admired folks with their well organized packs. Each person has their own needs!

dchew

I’ve carried it both ways. As long as you take time to cradle the assembled camera/lens/back I think it is ok. You can do this with cut foam like Greg or just use small dividers bunched up as support where needed.
I’ve said this before: remember when walking most of the jarring happens with each step, so it is a vertical up/down movement you want to protect against.
If you typically favor one focal length it makes some sense to assemble the whole thing. I’m pretty evenly split between 60mm and 138mm so I seem to always have the wrong lens attached. That’s twice as much work, so I’ve reverted back to just removing the lens when I’m done with a shot. That way, my laziness doesn’t convince me the scene I see just happens to be the lens I have attached.
:rolleyes:
Dave

doccdiamond

I just use my "Freitag"-Messenger bag and some fitting foam core (if I remember right from Tenba) for an Alpa TC setup with e.g. the Rodie 40mm and a IQ260 back ready to shoot incl. cables. As all these "Square-camera-designs" do not fit perfectly (width!) - it is still a compromise but it works. My biggest concern in a mounted setup is always the delicate Copal... But carrying a Pelican case through the city or up to a mountain is not an option so you have to take the risk.

darr

I had a van converted for travel and photography a few years ago and have learned it really depends on the destination for me.

Will I be hiking? If so, I use various backpacks with different gear. I shoot film and digital, so it all depends, but I do my best to build out the gear and then load it, but it must be able to travel safely. If I will be riding to a destination on my ebike after parking the van, I have a small pelican type case mounted on the rear rack that I use with my Fuji APS-C gear.

If I will be parking and walking a short distance, and then drive a little and shoot again (I do more of this type of shooting), I learned I needed a better way to drive around with my gear ready to shoot without depending on a seat or opened backpack lying on the floor with all its contents exposed. So I made this simple stow solution that makes grabbing my gear quickly and safely:

It does not slide on my van floor and is quick to access my gear when I am ready to shoot. I took an old LowePro backpack and cut it up and placed it snugly into the tool caddy. It cushions my gear enough, and makes the scenario: driving-shooting-driving-shooting much easier for me.

So to answer your question: I prefer my gear built, but it must travel safely!

Best to you,
Darr

bomzi

The DB and my RM3Di are kept separately when taking a flight. The DB, RM3Di, two lenses, Sony A7R3+ ts-e 24, all spare batteries, along with a small macbook air are hand carried in a Peak Design Messenger bag. While the bag becomes quite heavy, airline staff have yet to give me any trouble as it looks like a laptop bag.

I will check in a locked Think Tank Airport security bag packed full of chargers, Leica disto, filters and any other accessories. Also check in a regular locked wheeler suitcase with my tripod, tripod head and clothes. The suitcase is in pretty bad shape an absolutely hideous light blue color that I can spot from the other end of the airport! I figure that no one wants to steal a ugly brightly colored suitcase!

Before going out to shoot, I will assemble the RM3Di and DB with a lens and carry everything in the Think Tank. Assembling the DB and the RM3Di in the field makes me nervous. I'd rather do that where it is safe and dust free.

I shoot architecture so I dont really need to travel over uneven ground.

If I really need to be mobile, I'll just carry the same gear in the Peak Design bag.

algrove

I use a Mindshift 18L mainly with DB attached to STC and usually the HR 40. If I know another lens will better suit for this hike I will attach it instead. I can pack 4 lenses plus many batteries, meter etc into this setup along with Mindshift filter holder. I often wonder if the lens should be wide open for hiking instead of another f stop. Any comments?