The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Good are the Panasonic L lenses on SL

rollsman44

I am trying to keep cost down so how are the Leica/ Pana lenses on the SL ( 601) Looking for a Portrait Lens. Thanks

JeRuFo

I shot with the Lumix S 85 1.8 for a few hours trying to help out a 'wedding photographer' that was a bit in over his head taking on a 16 hour shooting day with rented and borrowed gear. It seems to be an almost faultless lens, especially at that price. It is quiet and fast and the rendering fits in with the real Leica lenses quite well. The Leica 50 1.4 is pretty much the perfect wedding lens to me, I can and have shot almost a whole wedding with that on an SL body. The only drawback of the 50 is how big it is, it actually does scare people a bit. The 85 1.8 does much better in that regard and is much more compact and blends in a little. I wouldn't feel left wanting for anything more with the Panasonic. The 85 renders nice and smooth, quite close to the 50 1.4, which is far more important to me than super shallow depth of field. I like the subject to be isolated slightly, but still have the surroundings recognisable.
I can't speak to how reliable it is on an SL body, but it should be good given how close the companies work together.
Of course there is the ubiquitous Sigma 85 1.4 Art as well, but it is bigger and quite a bit more money.

rollsman44

Hi, the Panasonic 85 1.8 is Back ordered or Not available yet. I searched every where I am going with the Pan and Not the Sigma 70

JeRuFo

Weird. That wedding was 5 months ago, could have sworn it was that lens. Will have to ask for a few pictures and check the exif.

P. Chong

The S Pro lenses are superb. In a quick comparison I made some months ago, I feel the S Pro 50/1.4 is actually sharper than the Summilux-SL 50.

Paratom

I kept the 24-105 besides the 24-90 because the Pana is lighter and smaller, as flexible, and besides sometimes a little qiurly bokeh I am quite satisfied with IQ.

Greg Haag

I have the Lumix S1R with the 24-105, 50mm and the 70-200. I have been pleased with the camera and all three lenses as it relates to image quality.