The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How is Actar 120 compared to Schneider Apo Digitar 120 N / M / ASPH ?

rdeloe

the first generation of the apo digitar n 5,6/120 mm was simply the Apo Symmar 5,6/120 mm, not the componon.
The apo symmar 5,6/120 mm was in the time of the introduction the lens with the best resolution power of all analoge large format lenses.
yes this apo symmar 72°.
Do you mean the original Apo-Symmar 120 or the later Apo-Symmar L 120?

Alkibiades

Do you mean the original Apo-Symmar 120 or the later Apo-Symmar L 120?
I mean the Apo Symmar 72°, not the Apo Symmar L 75°.
Maybe you can find in web some older infos about the Apo Symmar 120 mm, it was the lens with higher resolution of all Schneider lenses, already great at aperture 8.
The larger image circle is an advantage for big 4x5 inch film format but a dissadvantage for a little digital format, where the high resolution at large apertures are important.
Therefore Schneider used also the older lensdesign of the Super Angulon 5,6/47 mm with 100° for they Apo digitar 47 mm and not the newer Super Angulon xl 47 mm with 120°. The xl is great for 4x5 inch but not as sharp as the older 47 mm with much smaller image circle.

rdeloe

Maybe you can find in web some older infos about the Apo Symmar 120 mm, it was the lens with higher resolution of all Schneider lenses, already great at aperture 8.
The larger image circle is an advantage for big 4x5 inch film format but a dissadvantage for a little digital format, where the high resolution at large apertures are important.
Therefore Schneider used also the older lensdesign of the Super Angulon 5,6/47 mm with 100° for they Apo digitar 47 mm and not the newer Super Angulon xl 47 mm with 120°. The xl is great for 4x5 inch but not as sharp as the older 47 mm with much smaller image circle.
Thanks for the clarification. I found the data sheets from Schneider on their archived site. It's a very small, compact lens, and not terribly expensive either.

Alkibiades

Thanks for the clarification. I found the data sheets from Schneider on their archived site. It's a very small, compact lens, and not terribly expensive either.
indeed its small and compact and really cheap but a resolution monster in the film days and still great for digital use.

TimoK

Have You compared those Apo-Symmars?
I ask because I have 150mm Apo-Symmar 72° and it is a great lens!
I bought it 20+ years ago for 5x4" film and now I tried it with Actus and Sony 7R2.
I think it's very good lens in digital photography, very sharp and its' rendition is so beautiful. So, if 120mm is even sharper it must be really sharp!

Alkibiades

Have You compared those Apo-Symmars?
I ask because I have 150mm Apo-Symmar 72° and it is a great lens!
I bought it 20+ years ago for 5x4" film and now I tried it with Actus and Sony 7R2.
I think it's very good lens in digital photography, very sharp and its' rendition is so beautiful. So, if 120mm is even sharper it must be really sharp!
Yes, afcourse.
All Apo Symmars are very nice lenses, also the newer Apo Symmar L. You can use them all on Digital backs and cameras.
The 120 is even sharper than the 135 and 150, you should see the little difference on your Sony