The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR AMERICAN FRIENDS!

HOW IT WAS SHOT! Please share the story behind your image!

rdeloe

It is fun. It was kind of a departure for me, but also an eye opener in a way.
I see a tunnel of trees over a road with light in the distance and maybe an evening sky above (a bit like a Munch painting).
But I can definitely see the tentacles now, didn't see that one yet.
Now that you describe the road and the tunnel of trees, I can't not see it. There's just more and more in that cabbage!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member

I stumbled onto this one yesterday. Not really a special outcome, but a good reminder to always keep your eyes open.
I found this in the midst of cooking dinner. I was cutting up a mountain of vegetables and when I cut this red cabbage in half I noticed the little landscape inside of it. So I quickly set it apart and got on with what I was doing.
A few days later when I finally had some time I took it out of the fridge and shot it, just on the table in our living room on. I had no time to really light it properly, but I noticed it started losing its crispness, so I had to shoot it right away. I did quickly grab my 4x5, since I knew it had to be black and white anyway and I still had film holders loaded.
Fascinating visuals! I love photographs, which pulled me in and invite me to wander and explore. Beautifully done and I think it works so well in black and white "hiding" your subject so well. Very creative and well done!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
©osztaba_vancouver_20190825__DSF5063.jpg

To Richards St.

GFX 50S
GF 45mm

On the weekend workshop I led with Ibarionex at one point we entered one of my favourite alleys in Vancouver. This particular alley/pedestrian intersection often receives beautiful afternoon light, most of it bounced from the surrounding glass towers. Two neighbouring buildings were not only beautiful in terms of light but in stunning patterns. My first idea was to capture a subject against those buildings but because of the overwhelming patterns I decided against it. The light itself plus the colour provided such a strong lead that this became one of those rare moments when any additional element would distort the scene. In order to create some tension, I placed my camera at pavement level and created slightly overexposed negative space in the lower part of the image to lead the viewer to the sign and then the colour. As a group we spent a considerable amount of time in this place alone.

tsjanik

I stumbled onto this one yesterday. Not really a special outcome, but a good reminder to always keep your eyes open.
I found this in the midst of cooking dinner. I was cutting up a mountain of vegetables and when I cut this red cabbage in half I noticed the little landscape inside of it. So I quickly set it apart and got on with what I was doing.
A few days later when I finally had some time I took it out of the fridge and shot it, just on the table in our living room on. I had no time to really light it properly, but I noticed it started losing its crispness, so I had to shoot it right away. I did quickly grab my 4x5, since I knew it had to be black and white anyway and I still had film holders loaded.
LOL, from 2013, same series of events led to attached.

Attachments