The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many A850/A900 shooters are going to hold on to their cameras?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have have using D800 since this summer but I also kept my A900. In low ISO, I much prefer the IQ from A900. I can only hope that A99 will have better high ISO performance. But from what I saw in my NEX-7, I am very skeptical. I will keep my A900 until it seizes to function.

philip_pj

I got a lot of lenses for the A mount because I felt the quality level was there with the a900, I still do. So no Nikon for me. A99 - run your eye over the feature list and it is very impressive indeed, but they aimed the camera at very different uses from mine, and they left off the most important part for me - the 36Mp sensor, on some pretext that it did not work right with video or some such. I care not for video nor for AF in general and high ISO just gives poorer images, so.....

I want to buy the sweetest camera around, the RX1; and for the system stuff wait for Sony to get over the video/flashy AF for a few lenses/low Mp game, and get on with the job for landscape people next.

Note that the RX1 is out of the Cybershot division in some kind of internal arms race inside Sony. That RX1 looks both all business, like a small camera attached to a super lens with real rings and tactile excellence, not like some dinky P&S - and has a lot going for it - an instant classic I feel, and a great offsider for any Sony DLSR - same menus, memory settings, ergo etc. How about a 36Mp one? Looking at the MTF even adjusting for the crap method of calculation, the lens will be fine, they could simply add the better sensor in both that and the A99.

alphaman

I think that Sony have done a lot to encourage new users and have also continued to supplement their existing lenses and flash so that existing users have a good choice. There are some real gaps in the lens line-up, such as a range of TS&E lenses, but that may well be changed one day.

The real flaw I can see is the SLT only approach to DSLR design. I can see some real advantages to SLT but partly because photographers are a conservative (small c!) bunch and also because SLT isn't completely "right" yet (i.m.o.), I think that at the very least the A900 should still be a current model and not discontinued.

While I currently have no stake in the Sony DSLR camp, I think that limiting the viewing options for their cameras limits the appeal to new (and existing) users and added to that while there is currently the option of a full frame 24mp Nikon at approximately £1600 and a soon to be Canon full frame model at about £1700 with the A99 at about £2600 .... hmmm! I bought my (ex) A900 for about £1600 and would think that would be a good choice for the budget conscious Sony full frame shooter!

Yes, would have been nice if Sony packaged the new sensor in the 900 body and priced it at $1799 as an alternative for stills only shooters and those looking for a low priced FF.

Dan Ortego

Mine sits nose down w/lens and L-bracket right next to my NEC display and I have no intentions on selling it.

N

nocavat

just received my previously loved A900, cant wait to try it out this weekend, and compare it to my nex7 and a700

petetsai

I think many A900 fans will be pleasantly surprised by the A99... I spent the weekend shooting one and it was an interesting experience. The weight is a huge advantage IMO as the camera is so much lighter then its predecessor. The EVF takes a little bit of getting used, especially if you leave it in auto where it is constantly toggling between screens. Once you use the EVF for a bit though, it has its advantages. Being able to shoot and review the image right after it was shot without moving your head from the camera is nice. A bit confusing for the assistant (me) however as you're not sure whether boss is shooting or reviewing.... In lower light scenes the EVF was actually better then optical in that the view is brighter then reality and you have the ability to zoom in to check critical focus. The high iso on this sensor is really a leap forward from the A900 as well. These are just a few things I noticed from the weekend of using it.

MikalWGrass

Pete, what kind of subjects was your boss shooting? Portraits? Fairly stationary subjects? I am wondering how the camera will work in lower light for action sports such as water polo. Any idea? Thanks.

petetsai

Hi, I shot mostly production images inside an ambient lit studio class, read bad lighting. The photographer I was assisting shot an outdoor night portrait. For the lower light the camera did well, the amped up gain that the evf provides helped in seeing the scene better. As for sports I believe it will be better then the a900 because the camera has the ability to keep tracking focus even DURING shots, something traditional DSLRs are unable to do. the 24mp sensor seems like a winner, although I reall wish Sony release their 36mp version. I just got my D800e and I'm really impressed by the pixel quality and density of that sensor.

Mark K

Despite the fact I love my A850's OVF (and those on D800), I believe the conveniences brought by slt technology using EVF is a plus in my style shooting.
I wonder if there's a chance that Sony gives us another FF body with 36MP sensor and hybrid view finder.

etrigan63

No, there is no chance. They flatly stated that EVF is the only technology they are going to use from now on. If you think about it, it makes sense as all of their video products have been using EVFs for years. This not a new technology for them.

Hmmm, the A99 Hybrid AF system reports distance information. What other camera de we know of that relies on distance information captured from the sensor at every pixel?

**cough**, Lytro, **cough**

Can Sony be thinking of this?

Apologies for the mild thread hijack.

MikalWGrass

Carlo, love the pics of the Gables on your website. Not sure if you think the a99 is a good camera or not. Personally I would like a hybrid vf only because I am used to an ovf but technology marches on.

Dan Ortego

Hmm, all this talk about the virtues between OFV and EFV in a thread as to whether to keep your A850/900. I don’t currently have any experience with a camera mounted EFV so I’ll just have to wait and see.

I plan to use the external EVF for the RX1 when it arrives so by this measure I can have a 'sorta' hybrid system if I opt for the OVF (framing) as well. Insomuch as my A900, all I can say is that it didn’t suck when it first came out and it still doesn’t suck today.

hand-held grab shot

Last edited:
The more I read about the RX1, the closer I'm getting to selling the A900 to help fund a purchase (already buying an A99).

Anyone want one? ;)

etrigan63

Carlo, love the pics of the Gables on your website. Not sure if you think the a99 is a good camera or not. Personally I would like a hybrid vf only because I am used to an ovf but technology marches on.
Thanks Mikal. I have myself on a preorder list with our friend Monza for both the SLT-A99V and NEX-6. Glad you liked the Gables photos. I look to expand that series an exhibit them next year.

MikalWGrass

Put the a900 and ZA 135/1.8 through its low light / fast action paces tonight at my son's water polo practice, and the results show me that either the camera is not the best at focusing in low light, fast paced situations; I am not the best photographer (ok, a given); or both. At 3200 the images were usable, and they were useable at 4000, 5000, and 6400, but the focus was decidedly slower and inaccurate as the iso increased. I just wonder if the a99 would help matters.

I will post a few pics after they are resized to 1200. Hopefully the data will be posted with the photos. I won't do too much post processing work.

Can anyone recommend a good photo hosting service so my posted pics can appear larger than what they do when I import them from my computer? Once I get set up I will post the pics.