The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how to professionally remove Cambo mount?

cuida1991

Hello everyone,
I just came across a lens in Cambo tilt swing mount. However, I plan to use the lens on a non-Cambo view camera, as a result, I don't need the mount at all. So what's the best way to remove the Cambo mount? Is this kind of service expensive?
Thank you so much.

f8orbust

If you don't need the helical - as you said you're attaching the lens to a view camera - then all you need to do is unscrew the rear lens group, then unscrew the retaining ring (that holds the front group and shutter onto the helical) and then the front group and copal shutter will become detached from the helical. The rear retaining ring can be quite tight, so you may need to use a lens spanner (like this one here).

If you do need to retain the helical then there are some small screws that attach the helical to the T/S mechanism. You just need to remove these and the helical, lens groups and shutter will all come away as a single unit.

Either way it's an easy job, just don't force anything, and don't strip the heads on any of the screws. Use the right tools for the job !

BTW: Bit of a shame to 'throw away' the T/S mount - Cambo charges north of $1500 to retrofit a lens into one of those :eek:

Paul Spinnler

Yes mounts with helicoid cost 1.5-2k depending on the manufacturer. I think Cambo has own helicoid design capability, but Alpa does not, they always relied on SK, RS or Linhof helicoids. So these elements are clearly worth something. The helicoids in the XT are all custom designed by Cambo and are quite nice with a dual turning knob.

If you add an x-shutter to the mix expect to add another 3.5-4.0k ...

Last edited:

JeffK

Watch out on the rear retaining ring. I've got one that's stuck on the last couple threads. Will likely have to Dremel it off. I have the lens spanner above and it worked till the retaining ring decided to stop turning.

4x5Australian

Watch out on the rear retaining ring. I've got one that's stuck on the last couple threads. Will likely have to Dremel it off. I have the lens spanner above and it worked till the retaining ring decided to stop turning.
That sounds most frustrating, Jeff. I've never had that problem myself; it's usually that the ring is tough to get started. It sounds as if one of the threads is damaged.

Perhaps applying a few drops of penetrating lubricant with a toothpick or such - and then waiting - might help.

Smoothjazz

Hello everyone,
I just came across a lens in Cambo tilt swing mount. However, I plan to use the lens on a non-Cambo view camera, as a result, I don't need the mount at all. So what's the best way to remove the Cambo mount? Is this kind of service expensive?
Thank you so much.
Just curious- what lens do you have? Perhaps someone else with the same lens could use the Cambo mount- it definitely has some value.

rdeloe

I have that spanner too. It's a piece of sh!t. The thumb wheels can't lock down tightly enough to the bars. I hope yours works better than mine. It's hard to apply strong, consistent force when the thing wants to come apart!

If you wind the locking ring all the way back, do the threads on the shutter look damaged? Are you seeing a bit of grit or gunk in any of them at the top where the nut won't travel farther? If the locking ring turns smoothly on the rest of the shutter thread then the problem is the shutter threads at the top.

I've fixed damaged threads with a very fine file, and I've cleaned dirty threads with brushes (for loose grit) and solvents (for gunk). Acetone (nail polish remover) on a Q-Tip is your friend for cleaning gunk.

I hope you can avoid the Dremel!

f8orbust

Yeah, the spanner I linked to was just an example of the sort of thing the OP would need. I have a couple of SK Grimes ones, but they're (obviously) a lot more expensive ($70 each).

It's easy to cross threads when attaching the retaining ring. One trick is to use a soft graphite pencil on the ring's threads to 'lubricate' it before attaching it. Just don't go crazy.

Don N

Paint your threads with a little Neolube using a tiny paintbrush. I have used it for many decades on filter threads as well. Neolube is finely ground graphite in an alcohol carrier- once painted on it stays where its put and does not wear off. If you cannot find Neolube locally you can find it at P-B-L.com.

Ben730

Hello everyone,
Thank you so much.
Please let me know for what lens the mount is. I may be interested in buying it.
Thanks,
Ben

JeffK

I finally succeeded in removing the retaining ring. There was a strip of something under it. It was meant to keep the retaining ring from moving. I was able to use a drill with a small bit on low torque to drill into the ring and create deeper notches so I could use the spanner.

SK 35mm XL now mounted in an Actus lens panel.

WRS panel and helicoid to sell. Check the BS: section.

F3D8A6F4-4277-443E-97A8-A5E6ACAF5CB7.jpeg

DE6F0EF6-091A-476A-A76A-5DDB07D82B03.jpeg
58EB0252-67DF-4CAC-A9C9-5CB0D9EDAEA9.jpeg

Last edited: