The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HR 35/4 vs HR 40/4 for Architecture on a 33x44 Sensor (CFVii50c)

usm

Which one you would prefer?
A wide open question, but I need some input for a fast decision...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
usm

The HR 35/4 , HR DIGARON-S , has an image circle of 70mm while the HR 4/40 , HR DIGARON-W/SW has an image circle of 90mm . The difference in weight is just 50 gramms .
480 (35mm) against 530 (40mm) in COPAL shutter .
When you want to shoot mostly architecture , I would definately go for the HR 40 .

usm

It’s a cyan colors 9 years old 40/4 vs a pink colored 6 years old 35/4 for an Alpa STC.
I know about the hard facts, nothing about the color versions.
With my FF I was using 21mm and 28mm with 10mm rise. Now with the 33x44 Sensor the 35 shifted left/right 15mm in portrait Mode was for 21mm and with 15mm rise it would be equally to the 28 with 10mm.

Now I found a HR 40/4 for the half price of a used 35/4.

All in Alpa mount, the 40/4 with a HPF Ring.

usm

I saw images CFVII50C with HR 40/4 with 15mm shift where the edge starts to be blur. How is the HR 35/4?
I have the feeling that the HR 40/4 is for the bigger sensor and the HR 35/4 is for 33x44 Sensor.

Alkibiades

40hr w like all digaron w lenses with 90 mm image circle like 32-40-50-70-90 are made for the biger sensors indeed but the performance should be the same on smaler sensors. 40 hr should deliver sharp edges when shifted- otherway the lens needs calibration or too large aperture was choosen .

usm

I am asking my self; Does it make more sense to have a wider lens with less movement or a longer lens with more shift?

What is the market price for a HR 40/4 and a HR 35/4 both in Alpa mount?

med

I am asking my self; Does it make more sense to have a wider lens with less movement or a longer lens with more shift?
Both are good, depending on the shot and your preferred workflow. Your preferred aspect ratio and print size could come into play as well; the lens with more shift will give you more flexibility with ratios and print sizes, provided that you are flat-stitching.

Stitching isn't always desirable or possible, so there is definitely something to be said for obtaining a wider field of view in a single capture. 50 megapixels is still a lot, so that gives you some room to crop when you want a narrower field of view.

Do you see yourself getting another lens down the road? That may help figure out which lens to start with.

tcdeveau

Do you need tilt? That 40 HR on LuLa doesn't look like it's compatible with the 17mm TS adapter, and will require a pricey remount if you want tilt.

tcdeveau

Here are some more pics with the STC/40HR and H5D-50c (same sensor as CFVII) at -15/0/+15mm (tifs exported from Phocus with LCC scene calibration applied):

They look better than the ones I did with the CFVII. I did some other tests with the H5D-50c but can't find them.

usm

Do you need tilt? That 40 HR on LuLa doesn't look like it's compatible with the 17mm TS adapter, and will require a pricey remount if you want tilt.
What you think about the lens? Is it an actual HR Digitar W lens?
It is HR Alpagon written on it.

Thanks for the images.

tcdeveau

Yeah the lens itself should be identical to this one:

The band color is cyan and not yellow/gold, but my understanding is there's no optical difference between the cyan and yellow/gold banded lenses optically for the 40mm (mine is the cyan/blue banded one as well).

The only difference, AFAIK, aside from the shutter and HPF ring, between the lens listed on LuLa and the version above is the version above is "SB17" mount.

f you look at the mount, it is shorter than the one listed on LuLa....this shorter SB17 mount allows you to use the 17mm tilt-swing adapter (doesn't extend all the way to the rear element). The one on LuLa has a lengthier longer mount that I do not believe is compatible with the 17mm TS adapter (if one wants infinity focus), so you would have to have Alpa remount it to SB17 mount if you want tilt.

dchew

Yeah the lens itself should be identical to this one:

The band color is cyan and not yellow/gold, but my understanding is there's no optical difference between the cyan and yellow/gold banded lenses optically for the 40mm (mine is the cyan/blue banded one as well).

The only difference, AFAIK, aside from the shutter and HPF ring, between the lens listed on LuLa and the version above is the version above is "SB17" mount.

f you look at the mount, it is shorter than the one listed on LuLa....this shorter SB17 mount allows you to use the 17mm tilt-swing adapter (doesn't extend all the way to the rear element). The one on LuLa has a lengthier longer mount that I do not believe is compatible with the 17mm TS adapter (if one wants infinity focus), so you would have to have Alpa remount it to SB17 mount if you want tilt.
This is exactly right. There is no optical difference between blue, yellow and gold bands from Alpa.

I don't think I would buy a lens mounted in a LB if it is possible to get in a SB. Not unless I knew it was a rare find like a 60xl or a 120asph. In another thread, Steve Hendrix quoted $1800-2200 to have Alpa convert a lens into an Alpa mount. That includes the helical, so converting a LB to an SB is probably not nearly as steep since it really is just exchanging the base.

Dave

tcdeveau

This is exactly right. There is no optical difference between blue, yellow and gold bands from Alpa.

I don't think I would buy a lens mounted in a LB if it is possible to get in a SB. Not unless I knew it was a rare find like a 60xl or a 120asph. In another thread, Steve Hendrix quoted $1800-2200 to have Alpa convert a lens into an Alpa mount. That includes the helical, so converting a LB to an SB is probably not nearly as steep since it really is just exchanging the base.

Dave
I missed an Alpa 60xl LB last year and I'm still kicking myself over it. It was on ebay and the seller even contacted me out of the blue and brought it to my attention before it was sold. It all happened my brothers wedding weekend so I was a little distracted and it sold before I realized what was happening. Oh well, c'est la vie.

usm

I don’t think I want to tilt with this lens.
The price looks good what I know. It’s a starting point. Important is to know which version this is.
Thanks

tcdeveau

I don’t think I want to tilt with this lens.
The price looks good what I know. It’s a starting point. Important is to know which version this is.
Thanks
Yeah that one was a great deal, esp if you got a package deal with the STC.

If you picked it up, enjoy!

usm

Both are good, depending on the shot and your preferred workflow. Your preferred aspect ratio and print size could come into play as well; the lens with more shift will give you more flexibility with ratios and print sizes, provided that you are flat-stitching.

Stitching isn't always desirable or possible, so there is definitely something to be said for obtaining a wider field of view in a single capture. 50 megapixels is still a lot, so that gives you some room to crop when you want a narrower field of view.

Do you see yourself getting another lens down the road? That may help figure out which lens to start with.
I don’t think I can get another lens in the near future.
What drives me crazy is that I have the 45p on my 907x and think to buy a 40mm HR lens.

Steve Hendrix

Dave

I may have posted this already somewhere, but last time I sent a lens in for barrel conversion (long to short or vice versa), it was bit shy of $600. I would peg it somewhere around $600 something today.

So a lens of choice in the wrong barrel version may not be such a deal breaker.

Steve Hendrix/CI

anyone

I may have posted this already somewhere, but last time I sent a lens in for barrel conversion (long to short or vice versa), it was bit shy of $600. I would peg it somewhere around $600 something today.

So a lens of choice in the wrong barrel version may not be such a deal breaker.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Interesting. Significantly cheaper than Cambo.