The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iceland

Robert Campbell

The bastard Irish/French Canadian spawn of the marauding Viking hordes on one side and Swedish/German on the other, actually!

100% American Trouble.
A colleague of mine has the same surname as you - his family came from Denmark, but sort of settled in Ireland. Related?

Maggie O

Hard to say. My family is allegedly Swedish, but once you get past Ellis Island, the details are very, very murky.

Robert Campbell

Hard to say. My family is allegedly Swedish, but once you get past Ellis Island, the details are very, very murky.
Pity - I had fondly imagined that Jack and Guy could branch out into friends-and-relations-you-didn't-know-you-had-reunited :)

And once-upon-a-time I had reddish glints in my hair - the Vikings again :)

Ben Rubinstein

I have a small Iceland gallery on my website www.beni-art.net I went there with my wife on a photographic holiday, we spent a week sleeping in the car when we slept (about 3 hours per 24) and drove some 2000 or so miles, half of which was off road. We didn't know it at the time but my wife was just a few weeks pregnant with our daughter, thank heaven all that rough treatment didn't screw anything up!

I found Iceland rather an enigma, it's just so different that if you go there with any preconceived notions of what you want to photograph (as I did) then you will be disappointed, everything is just so different from what you are used to, totally unreal. People just don't believe my photographs, especially the colours. My advice is clear your head till you are just a blank sheet photographically and let the photos happen. Work with shapes/colours not landscapes and you get more of an idea of what photographing there is like.

A couple of words of warning, if you are driving off road make sure you have the tank always topped up. There is a gas station about 10 miles before Landmannalaguer and after that there is nothing! We went off road after midnight after Landmannalaguer, got very lost, the track there is fun, I forded 40 streams that night and nothing beats going a meter deep in a stream, steam hissing off the engine and driving with your foot to the floor to get out of there as fast as possible before the engine gets water logged! We got very lost with an almost empty tank on some G-d forsaken route and if we hadn't worked out where we were then we would have been in serious trouble, no cell phone coverage there! Next warning, the sheep. I've driven in some pretty heavily sheep infested areas (Highlands of Scotland) but nothing is as stupid as an Icelandic sheep. They stand in the middle of the road, run off as you slow down and then just as you pick up speed run back into the road under your wheels. Happened many times daily and the one that did hit the car caused £600 worth of damage not covered by the rental insurance. Take a mosquito net! the North East of the country has mosquitos like you've never seen before in your life, near Myvatyn lake (Mosquito lake) you can't breathe for mosquitos. They don't bite but breathing is nice too!

Stuart Richardson

I would say a pretty good time to go overall. There might be a good number of tourists out and about, and a lot of Icelanders will be taking their own vacations, but in general it will be a good time. Still lots and lots of light, but not so much as to have no night at all. You will have about 18 hours of daylight, the rest twighlight, maybe an hour or two of "night". Weather will be like the rest of the summer -- around 8-18C. Let me know if you decide to go, I may be there by then!