The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"If Carlsberg Did Cameras..." the Ricoh GR

pegelli

Interesting read and great set of 100 photo's.
One question, most of your photo's with buildings look quite "straight", do you often use the keystone correction tools in Lightroom to achieve that?

biglouis

Interesting read and great set of 100 photo's.
One question, most of your photo's with buildings look quite "straight", do you often use the keystone correction tools in Lightroom to achieve that?
Good question and thanks for the response. I always use the electronic level in the GR in order to achieve as much 'straightness' as possible and then as part of my workflow I double check with the LR level adjustment. Sometimes it makes minor corrections. I've always thought it pretty amazing that even the first GR in 2013 came with the electronic level function at a time when not all digital cameras had the functionality.

LouisB

darr

Thank you Louis for writing a thorough user experience article.

I have not explored the Ricoh GR camera, but have appreciated many great images produced by GR cameras (such as yours) and have read nothing but positive comments from users. My walk-around camera has been a Fuji x100t for a few years, but I am considering a change up ahead. Nothing wrong with my x100t, as I am actually considering an IR conversion for it, just time for a change.

Thank you for helping me see another desirable option!

Kind regards,
Darr

Shashin

Thanks, Louis, that was a great write up. Although I took a slightly different route (I have a Fuji XF10), I agree that this type of camera is great to have and use. You can simply take it out by itself or put it in a camera bag as a second camera when shooting with another setup. The Germans have the rangefinder, the Swedes the waist-level SLR, and everyone had the eye-level SLR, the Japanese can claim the professional compact as their own.

Sapphie

Hmm, thanks Louis. I have recently bought myself an X100V and whilst it is great, I sort of miss using my GR III which, up till then, I had used almost exclusively for a year ... must get it out and give it some love.

Lee

Robert Campbell

A very nice blog piece and photos, Louis. I can agree with a lot of what you say.

My only problem with the GR series and the previous small-sensor GRD cameras is the problem of the viewfinder. I'm even older than you, and back in those days all cameras had a viewfinder. I find it difficult to change my ways now; I particularly dislike "chimping", though the GR series are light enough to make this easy enough. I can add the original viewfinder which is quite bulky and changes the camera from shirt-pocket size to something more cumbersome. Back in the day I had a Minox EL which was a very neat camera, not much different in size from the GR; it did have a viewfinder but no rangefinder though this wasn't as much of a drawback as might be expected. I see the GR as the digital successor to the Minox (or the Oly XA, though I never had one of those).

biglouis

A very nice blog piece and photos, Louis. I can agree with a lot of what you say.

My only problem with the GR series and the previous small-sensor GRD cameras is the problem of the viewfinder. I'm even older than you, and back in those days all cameras had a viewfinder. I find it difficult to change my ways now; I particularly dislike "chimping", though the GR series are light enough to make this easy enough. I can add the original viewfinder which is quite bulky and changes the camera from shirt-pocket size to something more cumbersome. Back in the day I had a Minox EL which was a very neat camera, not much different in size from the GR; it did have a viewfinder but no rangefinder though this wasn't as much of a drawback as might be expected. I see the GR as the digital successor to the Minox (or the Oly XA, though I never had one of those).
Beautiful cameras the little Minox. Lusted after one but in the end I went with a second hand Oly XA from LCE in Fleet Street back in the eighties, which the GR reminds me of very much. I still have an XA - I kept on thinking, film is dead I'll sell my XA, only to then buy another one later - and it is a cracker of a film camera. I agree about the viewfinder. But I think the whole ethic of the GR would be ruined if they shoe-horned one in (as they have done with the RX1R). I rarely use the external viewfinder I have as with the new touch screen as long as I know I have the subject where I want it, I just touch and click. Actually, I can carry the GR with its viewfinder in the cargo front pocket of my jacket but I am embarrassed to admit that the viewfinders are so expensive I don't like taking it out with me in case it falls off and I lose it! Thanks again for your comments.

LouisB