The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IIQRemap - tool for remapping Phase One Pnn/Pnn+/IQnnn defective pixels/columns

AlexeyDanilchenko

If you like me are the owner of aging Phase One Pnn/Pnn+ digital back and find your back started to produce more defective (hot, cold) pixels or the whole columns(rows - in native sensor orientation still columns) then you may be interested in this.

Just like the software I had created for Kodak Probacks, IIQRemap utility now exists for Phase One back. It is fully open source and comes with pre-built binaries for macOS and Windows 10 64 It was tested with Kodak sensor based Pnn/Pnn+ backs. For Pnn+ backs with Sensor+ and all IQnnn backs with Sensor+, the latest version 1.5 adds support for dual remap (extra complication that calibration file needs to be dual part one generated from standard and Sensor+ raw files). This last version was tested with IQ1xx backs, it will most likely work with IQ2xx backs but I cannot say whether it will work with IQ3xx/IQ4xx - have not really checked their calibration file format and layout (backup calibration file can easily be saved by FW update utility so it should be safe to try anyway).

I know that Phase One still will do those remaps if you send them your digital back or occasionally they can do it from the raw file. But this tool puts the power into your own hands (and saves you a bit of money and hassle producing the "correct" raw files that Phase One will accept).

Suffice to say it took me an hour to do comprehensive remap of my P25+ (from a few carefully shot dark frames) and before that I spent 2 days arguing about the raw files with Phase One (as none of them were apparently suitable even though those lines of pixels could clearly be seen when pulling out shadows).

It was used by a few people already to remap their backs so hopefully it will be helpful to someone here as well.

Last edited:

AlexeyDanilchenko

When can the Hasselblad back with Kodak CCD be used?
Erm - I know nothing about Hasselblads and their approach so never from me. Phase One or Kodak backs - yes. In the end this has nothing to do with the sensor but with the underlying firmware and capabilities added by back manufacturer.

AlexeyDanilchenko

Added support to remap Phase One digital backs with Sensor+ (some Pnn+ backs with Dalsa sensors and all IQnnn backs although only IQ1xx were tested). Theese digital backs have calibration file made upo of two separate calibration files essentially - one for standard mode and one for Sensor+. The interface of IIQRemap supports loading raw files for both standard and Sensor+ and switching between the two sets to perform remap, saving single calibration file.

All references in original post are updated.

ruebe

Dear Alexey, a massive thank you for making this tool available!!! I had a chance to get a p25+ with many dead pixels/columns with a camera i bought and stumbled over your remap software. I just completed the process and it seems to work like a charm! Very impressive, thanks again & kind regards Chris

f8orbust

Is it possible to provide this as a single '.exe' file (for Windows) as trying to compile stuff is a bit beyond me, and it looks like a really useful bit of software.

daz7

Would you be able to add support for other backs, too? I would love to see this software for Sinarback Evolution series (Dalsa sensor - 75h/86h/exact)

f8orbust

Any chance someone could direct me to where I can get a copy of one of the later releases of the Phase One Firmware Update utility, or if you have a copy lurking on your hard drive could you put it in (e.g.) dropbox and post a link?

I had a look on the Phase One website but couldn't find any versions, but I did find v3.042333 on the Capture Integration website.

However, I don't think that's compatible with IQ2 backs, but there were later releases (e.g. 3.3.2) that were.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited:

f8orbust

Hold the front page - under the Credo tab on the CI page there's a link to v3.3.1 - looks like it dates from 2014 so I'm guessing it should work with everything pre-IQ100 ...

AlexeyDanilchenko

Is it possible to provide this as a single '.exe' file (for Windows) as trying to compile stuff is a bit beyond me, and it looks like a really useful bit of software.
All the links are in the original post including the binaries where it is referring to binaries explicitly. Not sure how that can be misinterpreted.

AlexeyDanilchenko

Would you be able to add support for other backs, too? I would love to see this software for Sinarback Evolution series (Dalsa sensor - 75h/86h/exact)
Sorry no. Remap is not a universal thing by any means and every manufacturer does it differently. Kodak ProBacks apply the remap in camera and need extracting remap file, adding to it and loading it up. Phase One Pxx backs store the calibration file in camera but include it with every raw for convertor to apply. I only did two versions of remaps (Kodak ProBacks and Phase One Pxxx) for the digital backs I own and can do some reverse engineering for.

I cannot possibly guess how other cameras do it without using them or reverse endineering them or some of their tools.

The tool for Phase One Pxx actually came to be due to Phase One unhelpfulness - asking them to produce a remote remap (for which they charge) and providing them with photos where lines needing remap could clearly be seen, was going nowhere. I then had a look at LibRaw, poked inside of Phase One raw conversion tools and used remap tool I did for Kodak ProBack as starting point.

AlexeyDanilchenko

Just to report a strange occurence - in one case so far remapping P45+ needed to be mindful of the number of columns in remap. It seems it is far too easy to create a remap file that has too many remapped columns (in the case reported it was > 30) which resulted in strange behavior after remap - digital back was displaying garbage when previewing the shot yet raw files produced were actually totally fine.

From the experiments I would guess this behavior is only related to the number of remapped columns - because my back has substantially larger amount of pixels remapped yet very few columns and is totally fine. I cannot be sure if this is a limitation of every Pnn back firmware but be careful if you use remap on your digitalback.

Last edited: