The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interactive illustration of FoV changes with focal length and aspect ratio changes

jodad

Hello
Do you know of a website or app etc where you can see the impact on FoV by playing around with lens focal length (FL) and back aspect ratio (AR)?

I know how to get 35mm focal length equivalents based on FL and AR but I’d like a way of visualising the change to the potential image.

jodad

how do apps like the director VF apps or the alpa vf app show FoVs for extra wide lenses on wide film backs. The iPhone native FL is only 28mm So how can these apps show a wider FoV?

dchew

You need an external lens adapter to see the wider view. With the native iPhone lens, the edge of the view on screen is grayed out. Like this, a 31mm lens on a 54x40 sensor:

EF_00090.jpg

dchew

This is what it looks like if you enter a custom format. Mine for a 2-image pano stitch. that "60" frame line is for the 60xl, which ends up too wide at the edges in a 9:4 format.

EF_00091.jpg

jodad

Thanks Dave. Just want to get an idea of how my lens will look on different film formats (645, 6x6 and my current 6x8) but there’s nothing that I can find that will do this. I don’t care if it’s a stick photo or a picture that I take/whatever.

dchew

The VF app will do this. Just not for wider than 28mm equivalent. You could get a wide angle lens, but I can't imaging going through the trouble. You could use the very technical and expensive method known as "The Charlie Cramer Framer." Take pieces of mat board and cut them to the aspect ratios you want. "Calibrate" them by how far away from your nose you hold them.

Seriously, it is a very effective tool. I found some 0.125" thick black ABS sheet and made a few. Even has a necklace to wear while I walk. Batteries haven't worn out yet, either.

Dave

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The VF app will do this. Just not for wider than 28mm equivalent. You could get a wide angle lens, but I can't imaging going through the trouble. You could use the very technical and expensive method known as "The Charlie Cramer Framer." Take pieces of mat board and cut them to the aspect ratios you want. "Calibrate" them by how far away from your nose you hold them.

Seriously, it is a very effective tool. I found some 0.125" thick black ABS sheet and made a few. Even has a necklace to wear while I walk. Batteries haven't worn out yet, either.

Dave
Some recent iPhones will go extremely wide (13mm in FF). I wonder if the software can adapt.

dchew

Some recent iPhones will go extremely wide (13mm in FF). I wonder if the software can adapt.
Hi Matt,
Good point; yes it does. There is a Wide button for use with iPhones 11/12.

Dave

Last edited:

jodad

"The Charlie Cramer Framer." Take pieces of mat board and cut them to the aspect ratios you want. "Calibrate" them by how far away from your nose you hold them.

Dave
this is a brilliant idea. I’ll use this solution. I’ll look mr Cramer. Thanks Dave :)

Hi Matt,
Good point; yes it does. There is a Wide button for use with iPhones 11/12.

Dave
thanks both, unfortunately I’m stuck with the 10 which is a 28 only...

There's also this visualizer by Digital Transitions (dealer):
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/support/lens-visualizer-tools/
Thanks Alan, I’ll have a look at this one too.

thanks very much all :) very helpful as usual! 😬