The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Introducing myself - new to the forum and soon to Fuji medium format

diforbes

Hello all,
My name is Dean Forbes. I live in Shoreline, WA, just north of Seattle. I've been a longtime Fuji APS-C camera user and now I have a GFX 50r on order. I borrowed the camera from a local shop a couple of times under Fuji's try-it program.

My initial plan - a bit unconventional perhaps - is to begin using it with adapted vintage 35mm MF film lenses (Pentax, Minolta, Nikkor, some others) that I have collected. I did the try out using these lenses. Budget is one major reason for going this route. I'll likely look to acquire a few MF Pentax 645 lenses to adapt as well.

Wondering whether others here are also using the Fuji 50MP series with adapted lenses. Would love to hear about your experiences and recommendations.

I post my photography here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dean_forbes/
Samples of the 50r using adapted lenses are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dean_forbes/albums/72157715636512048

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Dean, it is great to have you here. Thank you for introducing yourself - it is very thoughtful of you. Please make sure to check out the Medium Format Cameras and Backs forum, as well as Fuji-related forum. There is plenty of information about the topic you mentioned. Please feel free to start a thread about your inquiry.

gurtch

Hi Dean: Thanks for the intro. I have a GFX 50R, and I saved some "left over" Pentax 645 manual focus lenses from my film/darkroom days.. I have the 75mm, 150mm, 200mm, 300mm with matched 1.4x, and the 120mm macro. To be honest, the only lens I use from time to time is the wonderful 120mm Macro....a REAL GEM, and cheap on the used market. The reason I rarely use the adapted lenses is that I have Fuji native lenses with comparable focal lengths (except for the 300m). I strongly urge you to look at the Fuji 50mm, as it often goes on sale at half price (mine was) at $500. There is on this site a review of the 50mm....you just cannot beat it.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

diforbes

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the reply and lens recommendations. The Fuji 50mm is on "buy now" list if it goes back on sale. Great work on your website!

gurtch

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the reply and lens recommendations. The Fuji 50mm is on "buy now" list if it goes back on sale. Great work on your website!
You are welcome Dean, and thanks for the kind words. The GFX 50R and Fuji lenses produce amazing files. I am making 24"x32" prints.
Dave