The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

D

DougDolde

Why not upgrade your Aircard to the Sierra Wireless Overdrive WIFI hotspot? Then you don't have to deal with a card adapter, that thing only has USB ports.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Why not upgrade your Aircard to the Sierra Wireless Overdrive WIFI hotspot? Then you don't have to deal with a card adapter, that thing only has USB ports.
As I understand this would require for me a new contract and I have very good one and know the Aircard works quite well.

Diane B

Since we now have a Palm Pre and a Touch, I prefer using the Touch for many things, but the Palm is just fine for a phone, contacts, mail for my husband--and whatever else he chooses (there are apps he is happy enough with). The big drawing card is the mobile hotspot for me. We had non-smartphones--so this is a step up for phone. That being said--I immediately looked for an app for an onscreen keyboard LOL (there's one coming)--but my husband, whose hands are larger than mine, is using the keyboard without too much problem.

I am not sure I really like the way you move about--its different, but you can have a number of things open at once. I haven't used it enough to have much more to say--except it is a great deal for us---the phone was free (we had free upgrade coming) and its 2 for one, so I take the receipt back after the 13th and before the 21st (the deal is only for 1 month) and I get my phone free also. We stayed at the same minutes, took off some other stuff (texting which we never use--and V Cast) and added the $29.95 data and VErizon is charging nothing for the mobile hotspot 'for a limited time' (not so with Droid and others) so we came out with essentially the same billing cost There is speculation that it was done to pick up some Ipad wifi owners--and it does go off just about the time the 3Gs come out--so make of it what you will LOL.

Diane B

Is it worth it considering you are stuck with a Palm Pre?
Its fine for me---we needed new phones--which I use for phone only, have a Touch. I have free mobile hotspot, 2 phones were free (really--we paid nothing except for a car chargerd because we were up for a free upgrade and its a 2fer)--my husband isn't into all the 'stuff' on a phone--he needs contacts, email--as its basically his 'office'. The nice thing is if he wants a bit more he has it without paying any premium for it. We now have a mobile hotspot for laptop, Touch and Ipad when I get one--great for on the road as Verizon has very good coverage.

Terry

OK,
I just got home and my camera connection kit is here. So, time to do some work. In the meantime feast yourself on this linked post! This looks extremely promising to me. I'm subscribed to a thread on Apple support that led me to this post at DPReview. More in an hour or so hopefully with some iPad screen shots. I'm going to try and take a RAW file into Photogene and see what happens.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=35132092

Terry

One other thing, in the instructions it does say that you can connect your iphone to your iPad and get the pictures from the iPhone over to the iPad.

Terry

Woooohoooooo !!!!! You don't need to shoot RAW + Jpeg !!!!!!!! I just imported G1 RAW file onto the iPad, went to a third party App to edit.

First up....RAW file displayed on screen (simple screen shot). I know people will say this is the jpeg sidecar which is fine just making the point that I only loaded in RAW files)

Next I went to the App Photogene and used the RAW !!!! file and converted it to B&W. If this is the embedded jpeg Panasonic uses some kickass embedded jpegs. So, can't tell if Apple stuck some of the iPhoto/Aperture RAW conversion into the photo viewer.

Then I saved the Photogene conversion and you can see it shows up on the front screen. Notice the first stack has the B&W, the second stack is the last import (RAW files), the third stack are all imports.

The only PITA with iPhone and iPad is everytime you email something it uses the name photo.jpg, if you have two files it is photo, photo2, photo3...but I you need to remember to rename files when you save somewhere else. I would like to give Apple feedback that a unique filename maybe with the date or something would be more useful for all devices.

Next thing I just tried is to email myself a RAW file.
Large image shows in email and when you go to save the file it is still an RW2 file - so the original is maintained.

I am TOTALLY PSYCHED !!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Terry,

that sound not too bad. But now the interesting parts are:

1. Can you import selectively
1a. Can you preview from card without importing
2. Can iTunes copy these RAWs back
3. As you mention naming is important
4. How fast is the import

Photogene is very impressive for $3.99

Uwe

Last edited:

Terry

Terry,

that sound not too bad. But now the interesting parts are:

1. Can you import selectively
Yes - you pick and chose the files and can see small thumbnails to select from]

1a. Can you preview from card without importing
Yes just take the card out

2. Can iTunes copy these RAWs back
Yes - there is a post from DPReview that I linked to above. You don't really do it from iTunes I think you simply go into iPhoto when the iPad is connected to the computer. I will try LR and see what I can do.

3. As you mention naming is important
If you go from the iPad to iPhoto or other App it retains the name. In email it doesn't. I will play more with going from the iPad to the computer but my workflow would be to keep the files on the SD card and copy that card to my home computer later and not go from iPad to computer.

4. How fast is the import
Fast enough on the four RAW files that it didn't even dawn on me to time it.

Terry

Next update....

I connected my iPad to my computer.

Lightroom - the files I added are available for import with their original names. There are other files that the iPad is looking to import so it will take me a bit of time to decipher how LR decided what files are available for import.

Bridge - I haven't found the files or a way to go straight into bridge

iPhoto - the files are all there for import

Aperture - the files are there for import

C1 - I did not see the files show up in the list of folders to chose from

Finder - the iPad did not show up

Last edited:

Terry

The iPad has potential to become a digital wallet and instant viewer.
Uwe - this is an excerpt from the DPReview post....I think it is only a matter of time until an App is written

"Interestingly, when the D700 is connected to the iPad, it is still fully functional. So it can take pictures. Pictures taken show up on the iPad as thumbnails immediately. This sounds encouraging for using the iPad as a real-time viewer. Unfortunately, in order to see the image full screen you have to import it and then view it in the Photos app. This is too laborious to be useful. Perhaps someone will write an app to make a viewer out of the iPad."

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe - this is an excerpt from the DPReview post....I think it is only a matter of time until an App is written

"Interestingly, when the D700 is connected to the iPad, it is still fully functional. So it can take pictures. Pictures taken show up on the iPad as thumbnails immediately. This sounds encouraging for using the iPad as a real-time viewer. Unfortunately, in order to see the image full screen you have to import it and then view it in the Photos app. This is too laborious to be useful. Perhaps someone will write an app to make a viewer out of the iPad."
I read this and hope for a viewer app.

LJL

and I just heard from a little bird in Cupertino that they have the iMovie app running on the iPad, so it is only a matter of time before it becomes more a mobile viewer....

Do not know more and if I did, I could not talk about it ;-) Exciting times ahead....looking like the 64GB model be coming in a bit "light" on storage soon ;-)

LJ