The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPhone Photos

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice! Technically, however, that's a "First Quarter" Moon: You're seeing 1/2 of the 1/2 of the Moon that can be seen from Earth's surface. Moon phases are Full Moon, First Quarter Moon, New Moon, and Last Quarter Moon, as reported by the Farmer's Almanac (here's the Farmer's Almanac page for August 2020). :D

G
New, First Quarter, Full, Third Quarter ... That's what I remembered, and the link agrees. :deadhorse: :grin:

Last edited:

Godfrey

Yes, this is correct. No such thing as half moon. Are we a pedantic little group. :ROTFL:

Joel
Yes, we are. :thumbs:
But there's never a reason to use incorrect nomenclature once you know what the correct nomenclature is... ;)

The Moon phase cycle of "Full, First Quarter, New, Last Quarter" and "Full, First Quarter, New, Third Quarter" are both accurate and accepted nomenclature. I used the Farmer's Almanac listing as example which uses the first of these, but other references use the second. Doesn't matter which one you use, both are correct to describe the Moon phase in the photograph.

The term "half-moon" is also used for various purposes. Looking up definitions and usages ...

half-moon
/ˈhaf ˌmo͞on/
noun: half-moon; plural noun: half-moons
- the moon when only half of its illuminated surface is visible from the earth; the first or last quarter.
- the time when a half-moon occurs.
- a semicircular or crescent-shaped object. Example: "half-moon spectacles"

What do you mean by Half Moon?
noun. The moon when only half its disk is illuminated. Something that is shaped like a half circle or a crescent, such as the lunula of a fingernail.

But it's not generally used as a name for the Moon phase in the photograph.

(I first ran into these distinctions when I was studying to be an editor... :D)

G

MGrayson

My point, either too subtle or (more appropriately) deliberately ignored :grin: is that, while the laws of physics are time reversible (ok, CPT, if you want to be picky, and I'm way too happy to discuss entropy), the ordering of the moon phases is usually given in forward time ordering. :ROTFL:

Pedantic? Us? :lecture:<- I'm so glad the emoticon exists...

Matt

Godfrey

My point, either too subtle or (more appropriately) deliberately ignored :grin: is that, while the laws of physics are time reversible (ok, CPT, if you want to be picky, and I'm way too happy to discuss entropy), the ordering of the moon phases is usually given in forward time ordering. :ROTFL:

Pedantic? Us? :lecture:<- I'm so glad the emoticon exists...

Matt
LOL! That's an editorial debate. I've seen the cycle described starting with Full Moon and staring with New Moon. It's a little odd, to me, to see New Moon first since that's the point in the cycle when you look in the sky and don't see anything... ;) But the other cycle description that works well with either origin point is "Full Moon, Waning Quarter, New Moon, Waxing Quarter". I tend to prefer starting with the Full Moon, personally.

I think editors can debate anything ad nauseam. But at some point, you just have to check off the doc as done and send it to press, or there's no point to the debate... :D

Back to the iPhone: My beloved photographer/mentor—an absolute master printer now 95 years old—called me a few weeks ago to say he was giving up carrying any camera: "I'm too old and they're too heavy for me now. I'm going to use the iPhone exclusively. Which new iPhone should I get?" I showed him a few exposures I've made with the iPhone 11 Pro and he was convinced, he's purchased one. So he called yesterday to tell me that he was enjoying the iPhone 11 Pro a lot and had just gotten a new app to try focus stacking with it. I can't wait to see what Don makes out of the iPhone! What a guy to live up to ... 95 and still trying new things! :D :D

G

MGrayson

Nice! Technically, however, that's a "First Quarter" Moon: You're seeing 1/2 of the 1/2 of the Moon that can be seen from Earth's surface. Moon phases are Full Moon, First Quarter Moon, New Moon, and Last Quarter Moon, as reported by the Farmer's Almanac (here's the Farmer's Almanac page for August 2020). :D

G
Ok. One last try. I don't care where the cycle starts. It's a cycle. But going Full -> First ->New -> Last is backwards in time. Nothing wrong with that, but it IS nonstandard.

I should have just kept my mouth shut. :facesmack:

I remain, now, forever silent on lunar phase terminology!

Godfrey

Ok. One last try. I don't care where the cycle starts. It's a cycle. But going Full -> First ->New -> Last is backwards in time. Nothing wrong with that, but it IS nonstandard.

I should have just kept my mouth shut. :facesmack:

I remain, now, forever silent on lunar phase terminology!
How is it backwards in time? Full moon is followed by the first quarter as the moon wanes, followed by the new moon, followed by the last or third quarter as the moon waxes, and then were back to the full moon... how is this backwards?

G

MGrayson

How is it backwards in time? Full moon is followed by the first quarter as the moon wanes, followed by the new moon, followed by the last or third quarter as the moon waxes, and then were back to the full moon... how is this backwards?

G
From the link you posted:

Godfrey

From the link you posted:

All depends where you put the 0 point. Do you consider New to be 0 or Full to be 0? I've seen it both ways.
Of course, I could have just dyslexically swapped them around ... and all you had to to was say that. LOL! :shocked:

G

scho

Chipmunk on top of an iron garden sculpture looking out for the neighborhood cat. iPhone 11+ in 10x zoom mode.

Godfrey

I saw this lovely, unrestored early Porsche 911, probably about 1967 vintage, while out on my walk yesterday. The light was terrific and it was parked just right for a nice shot...

Early Porsche 911 - Santa Clara 2020
iPhone 11 Pro
ISO 25 @ f/2 @ 1/120 @ 6mm

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Of course, I made more than just the one photograph of the Porsche 911 with the iPhone 11 Pro on my walk about Santa Clara neighborhoods yesterday; one uses up the exposures available with a pack of Polaroid film pretty quickly. :)

These three out of the iPhone appealed to me as well.

Almost Squared
iPhone 11 Pro, 1x camera

Street Sanskrit
iPhone 11 Pro, .5x camera

House Under Palms
iPhone 11 Pro, 2x camera (cropped quite a lot too)

The photos made with the Polaroid SLR670x have an entirely different aesthetic to them. I'll scan them up later today, I hope... :)

G