The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4-150 - what features don't work on a tech cam?

ThdeDude

are in a duopoly like they both are with a highly lucrative rental and camera sales business with cinema cameras which arguably can get a lot more expensive with accessories
Duopoly
You may have placed your finger on it. In the 645 digital format world, we had (past) a duopoly. But now the general consensus is that Hasselblad's H system is dead man walking. With Hasselblad's X system they have a very strong system with only Fujifilm as a direct competitor. Very unlikely they will revive the H system.

With no real competitor or a directly competing product, P1 may not be overly motivated or in a rush bringing out a IQ5.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

No, currently neither automated bracketing nor time lapse are available on the IQ4 unless connected to a XT or XF.
Incorrect, exposure bracketing works without XT as well if you have the x-shutter. I just tested it with my Alpagon 50 HR in X-shutter. I wasn't sure after reading this point.

This is really cool as it means you can mount old Schneider Apo Digitars with the X-shutter, for example, and then do exposure bracketing as well. 43XL doesn't work, unfortunately, but the 60 XL does ... really cool if you do architecture with the Alpa Max for example.

Incorrect, exposure bracketing works without XT as well if you have the x-shutter. I just tested it with my Alpagon 50 HR in X-shutter. I wasn't sure after reading this point.

This is really cool as it means you can mount old Schneider Apo Digitars with the X-shutter, for example, and then do exposure bracketing as well. 43XL doesn't work, unfortunately, but the 60 XL does ... really cool if you do architecture with the Alpa Max for example.
Thanks for clarifying. Is the time lapse tool also available with non-XT X-shutter lenses?

ThdeDude

My IQ3 is on its way to Japan for a filter replacement. Luckily under warrant.

I am currently debating whether I should try to sell my IQ3 when repaired before the warranty expires at the end of this year, say, for (below) $10K, and go for a IQ4.

The main reason would be to gain more fluidness in the photographic process by:

- back-illuminated: not having to think and deal with LCC step,

- frame averaging: wouldn't need to deal with ND density filter, and

- dual exposure: not having to deal with graduate ND filter.

Like with the IQ3 would exclusively use ES.

I live between ocean and Intracoastal, and photograph extensively seascapes and lakescapes. There is some movement in the scene (waves, clouds) and light can change quickly (sunrise and sunset). So not having to deal with filters is a big plus.

Are I am correct in assuming that the IQ4 would bring a point-and-shoot perspective to a digital technical camera at least as far as exposure is concerned. (Technical camera needs be tripod mounted anyway.)

Thanks for any suggestions & recommendations.

Last edited:

DavidJA

Hey Dude -

I was on the verge of getting rid of my IQ3 and Cambo when I stumbled across a good opportunity to upgrade to the IQ4 and electronic shutter lenses. It has made all the difference for me. I was frustrated with cables and LCC.

The IQ4 has changed this completely for me. I have a new found love for the system. I wont speak to the dual exposure and frame averaging as I don't use them enough to have an expert opinion. From a usability perspective it has been a complete game changer for me. Previous to the IQ4 my tech camera was often in a case while I used Canons with TS lenses simply for the ease of it. It's rare that I have a situation where my client is going to see the difference in my delivered files. I see the difference, and my post production is less with the IQ for sure.

I use the back with 3 lenses with electronic shutters and a Cambo so I do have to use a cable from back to lens, which is pretty minor.

Cheers,

David

davidagnello.com

stngoldberg

I upgraded to the IQ4 for all the reasons you enumerate….so happy I did..received A good deal from Capture Intergration
stanley

cly

If you want to use a cable release, you need to either use the Alpa sync system or some other way of dual-firing a wake-up signal. But, I've used the electronic shutter exclusively for years now even though I still carry the Alpa sync cable just in case.
Does this require a new version of the Alpa sync cable or has P1 changed the firmware in a way that the "old" sync cable can still be used? If I remember correctly, there were some sort of timing issues but I don't remember any details.

Steve Hendrix

Hey Dude -

I was on the verge of getting rid of my IQ3 and Cambo when I stumbled across a good opportunity to upgrade to the IQ4 and electronic shutter lenses. It has made all the difference for me. I was frustrated with cables and LCC.

The IQ4 has changed this completely for me. I have a new found love for the system. I wont speak to the dual exposure and frame averaging as I don't use them enough to have an expert opinion. From a usability perspective it has been a complete game changer for me. Previous to the IQ4 my tech camera was often in a case while I used Canons with TS lenses simply for the ease of it. It's rare that I have a situation where my client is going to see the difference in my delivered files. I see the difference, and my post production is less with the IQ for sure.

I use the back with 3 lenses with electronic shutters and a Cambo so I do have to use a cable from back to lens, which is pretty minor.

Cheers,

David

davidagnello.com

David, we love being a part of someone loving a camera system. Happy that we were able to be part of this.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vieri

My IQ3 is on its way to Japan for a filter replacement. Luckily under warrant.

I am currently debating whether I should try to sell my IQ3 when repaired before the warranty expires at the end of this year, say, for (below) $10K, and go for a IQ4.

The main reason would be to gain more fluidness in the photographic process by:

- back-illuminated: not having to think and deal with LCC step,

- frame averaging: wouldn't need to deal with ND density filter, and

- dual exposure: not having to deal with graduate ND filter.

Like with the IQ3 would exclusively use ES.

I live between ocean and Intracoastal, and photograph extensively seascapes and lakescapes. There is some movement in the scene (waves, clouds) and light can change quickly (sunrise and sunset). So not having to deal with filters is a big plus.

Are I am correct in assuming that the IQ4 would bring a point-and-shoot perspective to a digital technical camera at least as far as exposure is concerned. (Technical camera needs be tripod mounted anyway.)

Thanks for any suggestions & recommendations.
Hey Dude,

just a quick note re: Frame Averaging and Dual Exposure.

- Frame Averaging: best thing since sliced bread for me. I use it all the time. Not only you don't have to carry NDs, but you can choose your preferred exposure time with a click - whereas with NDs you are bound to the densities you have. It's just magic, makes long exposure work such a joy.

- Dual Exposure: still not perfect for me, plus it doesn't work together with Frame Averaging, it's either / or;

So, no more NDs for me but I still carry my Grad NDs (and polariser, of course) and I am a very happy camper.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

dchew

Does this require a new version of the Alpa sync cable or has P1 changed the firmware in a way that the "old" sync cable can still be used? If I remember correctly, there were some sort of timing issues but I don't remember any details.
Depends what you mean by "old". Back in the IQ180 days, P1 updated the firmware to something that made the original Alpa sync cable not work with some early-hardware IQ180's because of some signal filtering issues (like mine!). P1 updated my back hardware as a result. But I'm talking 2013 or so. Alpa introduced a new cable around that time or soon after that included a signal filter. I still have that version and it still worked fine on the IQ3. Here is a picture:

Since then, Alpa has updated the switch/lens mount. I don't own that new switch so I know you don't need that new switch for the IQ4. The IQ4 has a different pin connector, but if you have the simple 2.5mm jack version plus the P1 adapter, that should work fine.

To summarize: if you have the version pictured above it will work up to IQ3. If you have the version pictured above but with the 2.5mm jack connection, it should work on anything with the appropriate P1 2.5mm jack adapter. If you have an IQ4 and want the direct pin plug-in, you need this cable: Alpa IQ4.

Dave

Reactions: cly

DavidJA

David, we love being a part of someone loving a camera system. Happy that we were able to be part of this.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,

Capture Integration has been a great partner to me for over a decade now. Thank you all for the great service and help.

Cheers,

David

ruebe

Depends what you mean by "old". Back in the IQ180 days, P1 updated the firmware to something that made the original Alpa sync cable not work with some early-hardware IQ180's because of some signal filtering issues (like mine!). P1 updated my back hardware as a result. But I'm talking 2013 or so. Alpa introduced a new cable around that time or soon after that included a signal filter. I still have that version and it still worked fine on the IQ3. Here is a picture:

Since then, Alpa has updated the switch/lens mount. I don't own that new switch so I know you don't need that new switch for the IQ4. The IQ4 has a different pin connector, but if you have the simple 2.5mm jack version plus the P1 adapter, that should work fine.

To summarize: if you have the version pictured above it will work up to IQ3. If you have the version pictured above but with the 2.5mm jack connection, it should work on anything with the appropriate P1 2.5mm jack adapter. If you have an IQ4 and want the direct pin plug-in, you need this cable: Alpa IQ4.

Dave
as an IQ1 user the „how to cable sync“ question confused me till i found this info specifically on the iq4 (the necessary 12 port cable is $90 vs $$$ for the alpa one):

note that you need to have the IQ4 firmware version 1.01.18 or later installed to use the on screen wake up functionality

Reactions: cly